Optifast

WLSoujourn
on 10/31/12 7:48 am - Canada

Hi folks:

Just a question from a newbie.  I am still at the very beginning stages, and just trying to get an understanding of some of the process.

I see that most folks go on the Optifast program for a period of time before surgery, with your Dr or clinic determining the length of time you stay one the program.  I also understand the reasoning behind this is to shrink the liver to make surgeries less difficult and less risky.

My question is...Is Optifast better at this than other high protein low carb shakes?  Will other "Bariatric high protein" shakes do the same thing, or is there something unique about the Optifast?  

Another question that comes to mind is...Could/Should I begin to shrink my liver now and if so, is Optifast the only method?

Just wanting to pick the brains of you wise ones...

Peace,

Kim

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

ShallowGirl
on 10/31/12 7:54 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

The optifast is given out by the surgeons, and unless you are allergic, that is what you get.

The shrinking the liver thing is, in my opinion, unsubstantiated.  It does kick start weight loss & loss of fat, including visceral fat.

In the pre op period you should be working on getting into a moderate exercise regime and eating right.  Opti is only a brief period, living on normal foods will be the long term challenge.

Some heavier people go on opti for 6 weeks, but normal is 2-3 weeks.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/12 7:55 am - Straford, Canada

Optifast is a very well known entity to the docs and the program in general but folks who have medical and/or physical issues with it use other choices.  If you can take optifast and don't want to, not sure how that would go over.  I'm sure others will chime in with much more knowledge than myself soon!  

sam1am
on 10/31/12 8:50 am

Hi there,

Optifast is I believe an OHIP requirement, so at $100 per week take it only when you have to, in my opinion.  Also, in my opinion, I think that any low carb diet can shrink your liver, and make you lose weight, but I believe that the Opti has daily requirements of nutrition that will also help to keep you full.

When I was at your stage, I read everything I could get my hands on including this board.  I read about nutrition, lifestyles, types of surgeries available and googled the heck out of everything I could think of.  You can start tracking your daily food on myfitnesspal or something like that to get an idea of what your breakdown of protein/carbs/fat is and start learning where you can improve.  I wouldn't make any sudden changes, slow gradual changes tend to stick better and once you have surgery it will be sudden enough, lol.  Add a few glasses of water and keep track of it on your food tracker.

All the best on your journey!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Monica M.
on 10/31/12 10:46 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

a low carb, high protein diet will do your liver some good.

The optifast is a requirement. You have to do it.

I think the amount of time you're on Opti is based on your weight. One week for every hundred pounds you weigh. 300lbs, 3 weeks. Some people are on for longer periods of time, not necessarily based on your weight. (for instance, there was someone who was about 400, who did it for 6 weeks) Not sure why, i'm sure the doctor had their reasons.

WLSoujourn
on 10/31/12 11:47 pm - Canada

Thanks everyone...

I never thought about OHIP in the mix (so to speak)...so yeah, that makes sense that so many folks do the Optifast as it is a requirement...

You guys ROCK!

Ciao,

Kim

REFERRAL:   Sept 24/12    ORIENTATION LETTER: Nov 7/12  ORIENTATION: Dec 19/12 @ TWH   REQUEST TRANSFER  FROM TWH TO  HAMILTON:  Dec 21/12   CONFIRMATION OF TRANSFER TO HAM:  Jan 3/13  SW:  June 5/13     NUT:  June 5/13          NUT CLASS:  Aug 2013         MEET SURGEON:   Aug 2013         SURGERY DATE: Sept 20, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics