Iron Users - Help!

Catw
on 2/8/13 6:11 am - Arnprior, Canada

I know that there are many threads on using iron.  But brain's not working well with finding them.  I just got put on iron supplements 18 Post Op.  Guess I got lucky.

When I first had surgery, my mulit vits didn't have enough iron, so I picked up liquid PALAFeR.  It contains ferrous fumarate.  5mL contains 300mg of this ferrous fumarate which is to equal 100 mg of elemental iron.

I was told to take 300 mg of Fera Sulphate and 250mg of Vit C.  Are these two things the same and do I take 5 ml or 15 ml?

New thing to learn.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 2/8/13 6:42 am - Toronto, Canada
I have had four iron transfusions and take FeraMax as guided by the blood conservation clinic at Humber. TWH has also started recommending this heme iron, as it absorbs lower in our systems, making it better for absorption . I was also told to take what you're about to take, and it didn't go a thing.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 2/8/13 6:57 am - Arnprior, Canada

Thanks Kelly, I want to use this up, so I'm going to try it.  Just not sure about the amounts.  a teaspoon or a tablespoon.

Cathy

mermaidz
on 2/8/13 8:55 am - Brampton, Canada

Ask your Doc or a pharmacist but make sure you tell them you've had gastric surgery and what your body will and won't absorb.

if you look at the top right of the page you'll see "search".  If you type in "Iron supplements" you'll get about a kazillion hits to sift through

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

kellybelly333
on 2/8/13 7:18 pm - Toronto, Canada
Please know that I'm not being harsh, and I understand you wanting to use it up, but our bodies do not absorb this type properly, and it will be pointless, and your iron could suffer further in the meantime. I went through this already. I also wanted to use up iron first, because I paid for it!! But it was like eating candy.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/13 7:24 am - Canada

5mls...don't take more unless your doctor says to. 

2mar
on 2/8/13 8:26 am
RNY on 09/20/12

I take Feramax - and it works well for me

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

PatXYZ
on 2/8/13 8:58 am

This is a poor type of iron for post-ops as your body will not effectively absorb iron salts now. You should be taking polysaccharide (Feramax), carbonyl or heme iron.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
twins4meplus1
on 2/9/13 5:09 am - St Thomas, Canada

You can probably take as much as you want but this is not a type of iron we absorb well. Proferrin (heme iron) or FeraMAX (polysaccharide iron) are absorbed lower in the digestive track and not in the stomach.

Lots of us have been down this road of supplements and infusions.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Catw
on 2/9/13 6:26 am - Arnprior, Canada

Thanks everyone!  I'm to try this amount, and if it doesn't work, they'll have me take double.  Hoping this works.

Have a good weekend.!

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics