Went into popeyes suppliment store today.......soooo uncomfortable

straberryz
on 2/13/13 11:25 am - Ottawa, Canada

so I was uncomfortable to begin with walking in a supplement store being obese and all. So I was asking the guy some questions and he asked what i needed the protein powder for, so I told him im getting gastric bypass surgery thinking that hes probably gotten at least a few customers with the same needs as me...but wow, he was shocked, gave me a dirty look,and was very long silent pause. It looked like he wanted to give his opinion but bit his tongue. So I guess im never going in there again!t

So then I went to GNC and it was  an 18yr old buff kid working hanging out with his super thin girlfriend (or a girl he was defiantly flirting with lol), i just wanted in and out, so i bought the gnc brand protein powder...yuck! what a waste of 50 bucks,

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

mona8
on 2/13/13 11:36 am - Kingston, Canada
I'm sorry that you had not 1 but 2 bad experiences in these supplement stores. I have always purchased protein powder from Costco , their Whey protein is one of the one's reccommended by the Kingston Centre, as is their Premiere protein. Prices are great, I typically buy the powder ( 2 kg )s on sale for $39 and the pre-made shakes are 18 ( or possibly 24....its been a while since I bought pre-made ) for under $20. Also the Bulk Barn sells flavourless. I hope that's been helpful, and good luch with your upcoming surgery

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/13 11:36 am - Canada
Did you buy the gnc brand of whey iso burst? And yeah popeys's is a horrible store unless you are a hardcore roid freak lol The one here in kingston is bad too
macrobug1
on 2/13/13 12:52 pm

That is too bad that you had such a rotten experience.  I don't know where you live but if you are near Newmarket's Popeye's you may want to give them a try.  They are quite aware of bariatric surgery.  The guy who has served me on several occassions has a mother who has had the surgery.  He is very up on the dietary requirements and very encouraging.

Curious.George
on 2/13/13 2:24 pm - Canada

I haven't had my surgery yet either but I found it worthwhile to join Costco just for their protein (whey) powder to make your own shakes with and their already made protein shakes. Their prices are excellent and the product tastes good. Plus no judgmental people or Ken and Barbie's standing around to make you feel uncomfortable. lol Don't be hard on yourself either. Those people can all go jump in the lake. What they think doesn't matter!

weebuddy
on 2/13/13 2:24 pm - Grimsby, Canada
DS on 12/19/12

Sorry you weren't treated with respect.  Some people have no compassion for those struggling with their weight.  I went to a Popeye's in Hamilton recently.  The sales person mixed a couple protein powders for me to test them.  Saves you from buying something you won't like.  I know GNC will allow you to return the one you don't like.  

Onward and
Downward

on 2/13/13 7:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Yes, definitely return the GNC powder - you can get your money back for it if you don't like it.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

jay_dee_767
on 2/13/13 7:50 pm - Canada

I hate going to those places!! Walmart has so good powders as well and cheaper :)

Referral Recieved November 13/12  Orientation Nov.19/12 meet Dr.Klein and NUT Nov .26/12  , Meet the social worker and RN on Dec. 6/12 ,DR.Glazer Dec.13/12 Meet Dr.Klein and pick up optifast Jan.16th 2013 Patts Feb.19th,2013, Surgery March 5th,2013

johjen
on 2/13/13 8:30 pm

The Popeyes I know sells protein but it is breaded and deep fried! LOL

I buy protein from wal-mart... they are fine.  I also hear good things about cosco..

wipe yourself off and keep trucking forward...people can be jerks... especially when they are super buff...I live in my parents basement so the only job I have to do is work on my super rad body... types...

worry not there is a community of people here to help... I am SURE there are protein and suppliment EXPERTS on this forum... ;)

Poe2004
on 2/13/13 8:41 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Which brand do you get @ Wal-Mart? I've only tried the SixStar vanilla. I really like it now but I'm worried I won't like it after surgery. I'm collecting samples of other types for after.

~Tammy

HW: 386 - RNY: 356.8 (14-Mar-2013) - CW: 238.6 (07-May-2014)  . . . GOAL: 199  

Most Active
Recent Topics