The Truly Revolting Vanilla Optifast made edible....

Nerak
on 9/30/13 8:36 am - Canada

I was seriously dismayed with the optifast. Ugh. I bought all vanilla because  A) I like vanilla and B) I thought it would be easy to flavour it! When I actually tasted this stuff I thought I would vomit! Seriously - this is like negative reinforcement....after this, I will eat anything and find it delicious! haha. I tried a few things and got better each day. For example mixing it with a bit of extra water helped. Also, making it very very cold. Finally, my daughter made it with strong decaf coffee, and ice and boy it is a TREAT!!!!

I am so relieved! 

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Zizzler
on 9/30/13 8:49 am

Way to go!  If life gives you lemons make lemonade right?  I noticed you are out of Ottawa too -  what was your experience like with them?  I am just starting out and would appreciate any tips or info.  Thank you!

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

KarenHope
on 9/30/13 8:53 am
RNY on 04/15/13

Hi Nerak. This is Karen. 

I posted this back in March when I was on Optifast. Hope you find some of it helpful. All the best on your surgery.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4618033/What-I-learned- so-far-on-Optifast-A-bit-long/

PS. Today I had my 6 month post-op appt and have lost 40 kgs/about 90 pounds according to my centre. Before you know it that will be you.

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

Nerak
on 9/30/13 9:15 am - Canada

Thanks Karen! (I'm also a Karen but I spelled it backwards for here). 

Zizzler I am preop. I have found everyone really helpful and kind so far. My surgery date is October 17th with Dr Amy Neville. I missed the orientation twice so it delayed the whole process but I was referred in Sept 2012 and went to my orientation session in January 2013. Really, I find there are a lot of hoops to jump through (but for our safety). Still, I am so ready for this help that it seems a small price to pay. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Leanne1
on 9/30/13 9:46 am - Newmarket, Canada

I put orange tangerine crystal lite in the vanilla

Also, I would add 2tsp of cocoa other times, it tasted just like the chocolate one :)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Nerak
on 9/30/13 10:06 am - Canada

Leane thanks I'll try the cocoa but I don't like adding more sweetness to it because that is my problem with the vanilla:

1) It smells like cake batter

2) It is sickeningly sweet

3) It has a metallic taste to it 

4) It stinks!

Leanne1
on 9/30/13 10:09 am - Newmarket, Canada
I also put alot of ice on it

If you don't add all the water, it's like pudding

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

kayakgirl
on 9/30/13 10:11 am - Canada

I was told by the Ottawa dietician that we can't add cocoa to optifast... that had been my idea too.

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Leanne1
on 9/30/13 9:41 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I went thru TWH, I asked if it was ok to add the cocoa to the vanilla. They said yes. I wasn't really taking in any other extra calories cuz all I was having was jello, broth and water and the odd tea. 

burg_vs
on 9/30/13 10:12 am

Glad you found a wa to make it good.  I bought half vanilla and it was terrible.  Was so hard to get it down each day!  Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics