Feel sore, frustrated and defeated

JenH1969
on 10/29/13 5:30 am - Brighton, Ontario, Canada
I have been back on track for almost two months now and have lost 14lbs. I have been feeling positive and confident about continuing on my journey with healthier eating and exercise.

Well, on the weekend I fell down the stairs and tore the lateral ligaments in my knee and am layed up indefinitely. I get reassessed on Friday as the swelling was too substantial with initial assessment. They think it could possibly be my miniscus.

I am so bummed out. I am afraid this set back will lead me to gain weight and get off track again-

I know it could be so much worse and I hate to whine but I am just scared I guess as I have heard this type of injury has a long recovery time.

Thanks for listening
Jen ;0)

SMILES~JEN 
SW-296 lbs,CW-240 lbs,GW-150 lbs
               ~Don't let what you want NOW affect what you want MOST~
                                           WE CAN DO THIS!!

Monica9811
on 10/29/13 5:56 am - Peterborough, Canada

Sorry to hear that Jen!  You have done really well so just stay focused on the food even though you may not be able to move much.  It sucks being laid up but don't let your head get laid up as well.  Good luck!!

KerryF.
on 10/29/13 6:37 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Find a hobby to pass the time... something to keep your hands and head busy.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

gonna_B_thinner
on 10/29/13 7:42 am

That has to be hard....I hope you mend fast.  My advice would be to continue to watch what you eat and make sure you get your water in.   Those are just as important as working out.  Can you still do arm lifts with weights and bending to touch your toes from sitting?  (or bending as far as you can) leaning from side to side while sitting.  It's not as much as you usually do but it may help some. 

Patm
on 10/29/13 9:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

That sounds really painful. The pain can play games with our head as well. Try to remember how well you have done. Use weights or even cans to do some weight lifting on your upper body. It will make you feel you are doing something for yourself. Good luck

Zizzler
on 10/29/13 10:37 am

Tore my meniscus April 2012 and it is still only 80% healed - it can take a while.  Actually, what happened is it would get better - say 50% and then it would re-injure and I had to start over again. This happened many times.  The pain can really wear you down emotionally too, so be aware of that aspect and seek help if you need it.  All you can do is give your body the time it needs to heal - maybe surgery and/or physio will help too.  I did water jogging and swimming and it helped to feel weightless for while. Good luck - I hope it is not too serious.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Camilla
on 10/29/13 3:27 pm - Toronto, Canada

Im sorry to hear of you accident. Wishing you a speedy and thorough recovery.

Take it easy on yourself,

C.

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/13 6:06 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I fell down a flight of stairs and tore the ligaments in my knee 11 years ago.  I couldn't walk on it but when I saw the orthopaedic surgeon he said I had to force myself to walk on a treadmill, not outdoors or go to the pool.  I opted for the treadmill since I had one at home.He said it would hurt like hell and I may only last a few minutes to start with and it would pull and sure as heck it did.  I think I lasted 2 minutes the first time.  I just kept at it and the pulling in the back of the knee got less and less and then I could stay at it longer.  I won't lie, it hurts and it takes a long time to feel somewhat normal  MIne has never come back 100% but I can still do a hell of a lot even though it pains.  Make sure you get clearance before doing too much but listen to what they suggest.  As for eating, do your best to follow your plan and take up a hobby that will keep you occupied while you are layed up.

JenH1969
on 10/29/13 7:31 pm - Brighton, Ontario, Canada
Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive words.

Jen ;0)

SMILES~JEN 
SW-296 lbs,CW-240 lbs,GW-150 lbs
               ~Don't let what you want NOW affect what you want MOST~
                                           WE CAN DO THIS!!

birdiegirl
on 10/29/13 7:48 pm

Hi Jen

Well that really is the pitts...sorry for you kiddo...

However....DO NOT start poor eating again....that will only make you feel worse....do not eat your feelings....

It is SO difficult to come back several years post wls and lose weight again....and look at YOU....you have done it....it takes so much courage and fortitude....and you have shown you have what it takes to gut it out.....

Hang in there

Most Active
Recent Topics