Tears...

Nerak
on 12/23/13 5:32 pm - Canada

I can understand how you feel. Tell me who doesn't indulge in rich, gourmet foods at Christmas? Who doesn't associate special holidays with food? It's been one of the biggest shifts I have had to make in my life - taking the focus off food and making new associations for these times (and all times). After your surgery you will not be able to indulge as you may have in the past. It's a good time to get out the toboggan, the Monopoly board, the boots and parka and enjoy a new way of celebrating and marking this important time of the year. I know change is hard but think of your goals and keep them in the forefront. 

Karen

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

birdiegirl
on 12/23/13 6:47 pm

Hi YOYO

Yeah its tough....and of course extra difficult as we approach Christmas ....so much is centered around eating.....

Look to the future.....as your name states....you have likely had enough yoyo dieting to last a lifetime....this is your big chance to make a profound change in your life.....and it began 6 days ago.....

Your emotions will be running high for some time.....first with thinking of the surgery and mourning food....and after with all of the hormonal changes that come with rapid weight loss....be prepared to try and keep yourself calm and looking forward.....concentrate!

I really hope you will not heed the advice given by Piccolo.....really its not OK to cheat.....worse then eating the food....is the mental let down of allowing yourself to once again go off program....we have all been there.....and please understand its not about the ingestion of food as much as it is about what it does to you mentally.....be strong as long as you can....tell your self you will not have anything off program for at least 6 months....really take advantage of your honeymoon losing phase the first 6 months post surgery....its the best advice I can give you early out

Good luck....I know you can do this.....its just Christmas....its just food....it will pass...hang in there

Sunny123
on 12/23/13 7:28 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I agree with Birdie. Keep with the program and kick this addiction in the butt. 

I have been walking by plates of delicious foods for days now. 

The urge is there it's real and then it passes. You owe it to yourself to stay true to the course. 

Think of all the wonderful things you want from a procedure you've waited wanted for so long. 

You can do this!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Zizzler
on 12/23/13 8:03 pm

Hang in there Yoyo - you can do it my orientation twin.  Would writing out your feelings help you?  It usually helps me a lot.  Remember that this is only temporary and the feeling will pass.  My advice would be to distract yourself - make a list and pick something that feels good but is not food-related.  A nice hot bath, a massage, playing a game, a walk around the block, calling a friend or family member.  Whatever works for you.  Take care and happy holidays to you...

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Patm
on 12/23/13 9:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It is just one Christmas among many you have celebrated in the past and will in the future. Keep a smile on your face and know how strong you are to be able to do this. Christmas is about family and food is only one part of it. Try to keep it in perspective. Good luck and I hope you have a great day

Yoyo4life
on 12/24/13 1:17 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

You guys are awesome...and trust me I'm not going to cheat the guilt that I will feel after is bad enough and I would not want to put myself through that...I am strong and will make it through this...thanks for all your kind words of encouragement and I'll see you all soon on the bench!!! I will be thinking happy thoughts 

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

Smile99
on 12/24/13 1:23 am
VSG on 01/07/14

I'm right there with you! I want to chew my arm off ... but this is why we are doing this. So stay strong! It will pass and drink tea and even chicken broth. It has helped me and just keep thinking about why you are doing this and it is ONE Christmas and probably the hardest. You can do it!

HFA70
on 12/24/13 1:47 am

I totally understand what you're going through.  I had my surgery the day after Thanksgiving, therefore was still on shakes TG weekend.  I did make a delicious (to me) soup with chicken broth and some green veggies that I was allowed. I also cut up a couple of pickles and had those when everyone else was eating chips, etc.  It wasn't easy, but definitely worth it!

Keep thinking about the positive outcome that you're going to gain from this.  It is worth it!!!

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Moselle
on 12/24/13 4:21 am - Athens, Canada

I had my surgery on December 29th so I know all about Opti for the holidays.  I just want you to know that this is a life changing decision and you will have so many more holidays to celebrate that not having this one holiday dinner will be so worth it.  I made my shake and drank it from a crystal wine glass at the dinner table while everyone else ate.  I focused on the conversations and not the food, I think it made everyone else feel worse than it did me.

My family saw my dedication to the program and claimed to be truly impressed.  

I'm not saying it's easy but it's mind over matter. Just remember the saying "nothing tastes as good as thin feels." You shouldn't cheat on Opti; treat it like a rite of passage to the surgery. You have to learn to stick to the program, don't give in when the going gets tough.  

I am going to be 3 years out this weekend and let me tell you that it isn't a walk in the park but damn I'm glad that I stuck with it. I truly wish I had done it years ago. I'm certainly not perfect but I keep my eye on the prize.

I wish you good luck and a happy holiday.  Message if you feel the need to chat - I'll be around and online over the holidays.

Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Dan M.
on 12/24/13 4:39 am - Stone Ridge, VA

Chin up you can do this.  On days when I feel powerless over my food cravings and I am sad because I can't have this or that.   I remind my self that I need to think differently.  

I can have this and that if I wanted, BUT I am choosing not to have it for a better life!  This give me the power to make it through the day. 

The holidays are the hardest, its almost passed. 

Pre-op:  Lost 60 pounds
RYN Surgery on 11/19/2013 

Most Active
Recent Topics