Optifast Question

rny_ivy
on 3/16/19 5:05 am

Hey all,

I'm just starting out Optifast and I had a question about broth. My surgeon has allowed me certain veggies (2 cups max per day) and unlimited 0 calorie beverages like tea, coffee, and broth.

I was able to find 0 cal broth at the store, but it's about double the price of 5 or 10 cal (per cup) broth. Do you think this makes a significant difference? I can definitely afford to buy the more expensive broth, but I just don't like having to spend more money than I have to.

post-op RNY (surgery date: April 5, 2019)

Amy R.
on 3/16/19 6:47 pm

Any variation of your center's instructions should be submitted for review. Personally I wouldn't change even the smallest thing without approval. Be cautious.

Yes, it's only five or ten calories. But getting into the habit of tinkering with the directions you've been given is not a good idea. It's very easy to second guess everything related to this surgery. That's not a pattern for success though.

Get in the habit of following protocol always unless you've been specifically told otherwise. It's so much easier that way!

Good luck and congrats on your upcoming surgery =)

StevesGal
on 3/25/19 1:18 pm - Hamilton, Canada

Hi, rny_ivy:

Just my 2 cents, but make sure you use ALL the Optifast. Consider it a prescription for medicine - which it really is. You need to take it all to ensure a good start to your journey. Even if it tastes awful (I didn't mind it), just plug your nose and get it down you! It's only for a few weeks and you can do it!

Nothing makes me madder than seeing "Optifast For Sale" posts. Like I said, it's a prescription. You wouldn't sell off your arthritis meds, would you? No. You need to fini**** all, just like it's penicillin. (Sorry for being 'preachy' - this just really bothers me.)

Good Luck!!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Leslie W.
on 3/25/19 8:02 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You can make your own broth. Veggie broth easy to make. Use your scrap veggies, seasoning. Just strain when done. Same for chicken.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/19 4:32 am

I understand your point of view. Also, this is a short term situation. Go for the higher price and I am sure after surgery when you are on your journey 5 or 10 can be burned off walking from room to room. You will have more wiggle room later and your doctor can approve or disapprove a change.

Just my point of view.

Most Active
Recent Topics