lexxiblue’s Posts

lexxiblue
on 8/8/18 6:08 am
Topic: RE: Prenatal vitamins for wls patients?

caramel premier is so so sweet - IN MY OPINION!!

wait for the cookies & cream - now that's a cool flavour and of course i got it at sam's in the states!!

lexxiblue
on 8/8/18 5:22 am
Topic: RE: QUESTION FOR THE NEWBIES FROM AN OLDIE!!

thanks for your reply!! i was just wondering what the clinics were giving the newbies today!! my bloodwork is done regularly with no issues... and glad to hear someone is still taking prenatal vitamins!! good luck!

lexxiblue
on 8/8/18 5:21 am

thanks for your input... i attended a meet n greet this past spring and the guy was just trying to sell me on the celebrate brand i'm sure!!

lexxiblue
on 8/4/18 1:37 pm

thanks for your reply.. truly appreciated.. and congrats on your weight loss!!!

lexxiblue
on 8/4/18 10:25 am, edited 8/4/18 10:26 am

I'm 6+ years out... was at an amazing Meet n Greet in Barrie this past spring. Had a vendor there pushing Celebrate products.. vitamins, etc. I asked him about this and what the difference was between this pill and the prenatal i was told to take many years ago. He questioned me as to why i'm taking a prenatal?? I said this is what my clinic told me to take. I had surgery at St Joe's in Hamilton. My blood work is good with what i take now.. but if i can lessen my pills that would be great! Have they changed the required vitamin intake and suggested this Celebrate product?? Apparently it covers more than just the prenatal vitamin.. i BELIEVE (not really sure)... it also includes Vitamin D and a few others... can someone clarify this please!!!!

lexxiblue
on 8/4/18 10:21 am
Topic: RE: AVOID THE L.G.M.

Avoid the L.G.M. Everyone has met "perfect" people before. There are some people who--at least outwardly--appear able to accomplish great things at work, maintain impeccable health and raise a ridiculously happy family. And some of them aren't faking or hiding horrible secrets--they really are blessed in many ways. No matter how tempting it is, do not allow yourself to wallow in jealousy. It can lead to nothing positive. If the "picture perfect" person is a friend of yours, it's even more important to avoid the L.G.M. (Little Green Monster). Jealousy has a tendency to push people away. And pushing away a successful friend can deprive you of much-needed support--not to mention a cheering section for when you accomplish a goal. Successful people didn't get that way on their own. They had the support and goodwill of friends along the way. Instead of comparing yourself to someone else today, look at how far you have come on your WLS journey and encourage yourself.

lexxiblue
on 7/30/18 6:49 am
Topic: RE: Another Clothes Purge

CONGRATS TO YOU!! purging is amazing... i used to have a closet full of all kinds of sizes... of course, kept all the clothes... one day i'm gonna get back to this size... then i did and i missed wearing the clothes! you'll find or should find that 2nd hand stores.. Value Village, Talize, etc will be your best friend. They were and still are today!! I couldn't afford to buy new clothes for a week... was ridiculous and i got some great buys!!

good luck and have fun!!

PS.. i always hated bra shopping and still do!! ugggggh!! altho now they are prettier bras but still.. hate it!

lexxiblue
on 7/30/18 6:21 am
Topic: RE: QUESTION FOR THE DAY

naw.. don't panic.. we're all different!!!! but the losing.. i hear that's an almost given.. for some of us!! unfortunately!!! and isn't that almost the most important virtue of a woman?? ugggggh!!! BUT.. it's all worth it!!

lexxiblue
on 7/28/18 1:00 pm, edited 7/29/18 11:50 pm
Topic: RE: QUESTION FOR THE DAY

ahhh... i didn't lose any hair... my hair got thinner... i no longer shave my armpits... and the hair on my legs is sparce (and i'm italian with dark hair!).... i took biotin before surgery and every day ever since and i'm 6+ years out! good luck!

lexxiblue
on 7/25/18 5:37 pm
Topic: RE: Hello and....

yikkkessss... i turned 60!!!!

lexxiblue
on 7/25/18 9:47 am

Yep.. sure do miss the oldies.... we had a super bunch.. way back when!!! .. now i'm aging myself!!

lexxiblue
on 7/25/18 9:45 am

KAREN.. WELCOME BACK!!!

OMG.. so awesome to see you.. been way too long!!! Hope all is well!!!

Huggggs

Deb

lexxiblue
on 7/24/18 9:34 am
Topic: RE: LOVE YOUR NEW FACE!

As you lose weight, your rounded face changes. The double chins fall away and your baby face begins to mature into an adult face, with perhaps a bit of sagging skin. The person you see in the mirror is unfamiliar to you, but you are the mature and vibrant you. It may take you awhile to see your new face and body as they really are, rather than the distorted interpretation you may see now. You will see yourself more accurately the further out from surgery you get. Give yourself a couple of years. It takes time. What you say to yourself about yourself will affect how you think and feel. Write down a positive affirmation about how you look and say it to yourself every morning as you look in the mirror. Notice how this changes your thoughts and feelings about yourself.

lexxiblue
on 7/21/18 5:29 am
Topic: RE: Why You Gain Weight - ITS A LONG READ!

When you see the scale go up a few pounds it's easy to panic. A few pounds emotionally feels like a ton. You wonder if you will ever be able to get off that extra weight, as if you were David facing the Giant. You feel guilty for how you've eaten or for skipping exercise. Then, almost without a thought, you surrender. You tell yourself you messed up, so you might as well give up. Let the Giant win. That's why you gain weight. You see, it's not the few pounds that is the problem. They can be lost. It's the giving up -- the "all or nothing" thinking -- that is the real problem.

Try being honest with yourself. It's time to get out your sling shot and poke holes in this lie you are telling yourself -- the lie about not being able to take off a few pounds. Your problem isn't the few pounds you've gained; it's not your body. Your problem is in your mind. You start playing an old tape in your head and believe it, even when it's not true. You tell yourself you can't say no to chocolate. You are too tired to exercise. You don't have time to cook. All lies. Really. Eliminate "I can't" from your vocabulary. As surely as David knocked down that big menace, you CAN knock off a few pounds -- if you will stop telling yourself you can't do it. Act on the facts, not on your feelings. You CAN take action to drop the pounds no matter what you're feeling. This new way of being will take some practice, but you will get better at it over time.

Here's how to act on facts, not feelings, to defeat the Giant:

1) Take aim. Figure out what your target weight is and make a little chart to track your progress -- and then use it! (If you're like me, you'll be tempted to skip this step, but that's the old tape. This time, don't skip what seems silly or useless -- that's a lie.)

2) Use your tool. David had a great sling shot to use and a nice sized stone, I bet. You have your tool, too -- your weight loss surgery.

Follow all of your surgeon's guidelines (yes, dig out the papers you were given at orientation or call and ask for a new set to be mailed to you -- and then read them every day for a week).

And at meal time, try chewing forever, and not drinking with meals, and eating dense proteins to fill you up.

3) Feel your feelings and do it anyway. David must have been terrified, but he didn't let that stop him. He bravely walked out into the open and faced the Giant.

You can face your powerful foe, too -- your negativity. Feel your feelings: anger, fear, sadness, deprivation, defiance, shame, disappointment, whatever they are ... and then do the next right thing anyway. Don't let your feelings dictate your actions today.

Be like David

Like the people David was defending, your life is depending on you. Your hopes and dreams need you to protect them. Your health and productivity need you to stand up for them. When David stepped out, he had no guarantee he would win. He took a leap of faith and acted. He felt the fear and did it anyway. It's your turn. Treat your emotions as clues. The best solution for emotional eating is for you to become an ace detective. Treat your emotions as intriguing mysteries to be solved, not pains to be numbed. Your long-term weight loss depends on it. By calling your emotions "clues" instead of "crises" you can discover your emotional-eating triggers and develop an action strategy (like journaling or calling a friend) instead of a reaction response (yelling at your family or indulging in an unhealthy food to get rid of your strong emotion). For today, treat your emotions as clues. Instead of reacting to your emotions, take a look at them individually and ask yourself, "What is this emotion trying to tell me?"

lexxiblue
on 7/21/18 5:19 am
Topic: RE: BE REALISTIC!!

While many WLS patients wish they could be at some magical weight they consider ideal, the weight you choose needs to be realistic. Not necessarily what you weighed in college or when you got married. Not necessarily less than your sister. Are you shooting for a weight that you can live with, even if it doesn't match the "magic number" you long to see on the scale? Are you capable of performing your desired activities? Are you healthy? Can you maintain the necessary lifestyle in order to maintain your ideal weight? Think about your definition of an ideal weight. Are you aiming for a realistic number you can maintain? If not, explore why not. You could be sabotaging your success.

lexxiblue
on 7/21/18 4:27 am
Topic: RE: SLOW & STEADY WINS!!

Keep your eye on the prize... and keep doing what you do.. i stopped and now have to deal with a regain!!!

lexxiblue
on 7/20/18 4:19 am
lexxiblue
on 7/19/18 8:44 pm
Topic: RE: SLOW & STEADY WINS!!

We didn't gain weight overnight and we won't lose it that way either. How many times have we went on some fad diet, lost weight rapidly only to regain it plus a few bonus pounds in the process of our way back up the scale. Slow and steady wins the race. It is true. The tragedy is that most people never even get in the race. Many of those that do hope that success comes easily and rapidly. When it doesn't, they drop out of the race, give up and throw in the towel, before it really begins. What they don't realize is that the decision to be unstoppable is never made just once. It is a choice every single day, made sometimes multiple times throughout the day by the choices we make. Do we exercise, do we eat this or that? It is all a choice that moves us forward, stay the same or backwards in our quest for weight loss. Whether you've had weight loss surgery or losing weight on your own or a diet program, setbacks are inevitable. In fact, they are proof that we are doing something. Sometimes the greatest lessons come from a challenge. Those lessons in doing something different in our healthy lifestyle path takes us one step closer to achieving our weight loss goals and maintenance. When we focus on learning a lesson from a slip up or setback, and stay the course, reaching our weight loss goal will happen. It is important to remind ourselves that failure is an incident or event, not a person. Just because you slipped up once in a day, the entire day, week, etc., YOU are NOT a failure. If you don't achieve your weight loss anticipated in a certain period of time, does that make you a failure? If you make an unhealthy choice in eating or skip exercise, does that make you a failure. Of course not....Absolutely not! Failure does not characterize who you are. It is simply an incident that happens in your life at times. When you continue to move forward, despite difficult experiences, you have already won. Commit to find the gift in any setback. Tell yourself that you will never, never, never quit. If you don't give up, you cannot fail. Not only will you achieve your weight loss goals, but the combination of your commitment, courage, and belief in yourself will rise as the greatest victory of all. Never, ever quit. Success is in consistency and persistence. Success is in each one of us.

lexxiblue
on 7/19/18 3:36 pm
Topic: RE: KEEP IT GREEN!

There are two good reasons to keep memories of your former self fresh and green. The first reason is so that you do not repeat past mistakes. Your new self does not want to give up and go back to past behavior. The other reason to keep your past fresh in your mind is for encouragement when you are feeling you don't look any different or you aren't where you want to be. When you look back, you can see the difference. Remember how ill you were and how much better you feel now. Although you may want to forget the pain of your obesity, the remembrance of your old self is a valuable tool for success. Meditate on how you used to live your life before surgery. Close your eyes and imagine how you used to climb the stairs or how it used to feel squeezing into a chair or booth. Keep your memory green.

lexxiblue
on 7/19/18 5:15 am
Topic: RE: Food for thought

When i left the hamilton centre after my 5 year check up.. they told me what my caloric intake should be... between 1000-1200 calories... and to still maintain my protein of 60g-90g. of course, all along no one ever wanted to talk calories.. i think this is a learning curve for the centres as well as ourselves. i'm glad they're compiling something that our family doctor's can refer too and yes.. mostof them don't have a lot of experience with WLS patients.

thanks again!!

and take care of you!

lexxiblue
on 7/18/18 9:13 am
Topic: RE: Food for thought

Thanks for asking your clinic about regain!!

Truly appreciated.... especially for myself who is no longer connected to a clinic as i'm passed the 5 year mark and basically got "kissed goodbye" at my last visit.

lexxiblue
on 7/18/18 8:58 am
Topic: RE: EMBRACE YOUR SHAR-PEI LOOK!

As the pounds melt away, your skin may get a bit droopy. Just like the Shar-pei dogs with the many folds of sagging skin, you too will be lovable, soft, and healthy. Your loose skin may tighten up in time, or you may choose to have it surgically helped along. Yet, is it not better to have the sagging skin, proud scars of your battle, than to be sick? Would you trade that skin for diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer risks, breathlessness, and immobility? Resolve not to be distressed by loose skin. It is only on the outside. Inside you are healthier, happier, and still you. Acknowledge the sagging skin as a positive change. Make a list of the things you can do now, that you could not do before you lost weight.

Most Active
Recent Topics