My first support group

Sharon H.
on 3/20/08 11:42 am - Modesto, CA
I went to my first support group last night.  I did get information.  There were a lot of stories.  People pre and post op.  One was 4 years out.  The leader was 8 years out.  I am still not sure of much.  I know it will take time.  I did find out that they are way behind doing surgeries.  Apparently they do three surgeries a day twice a week.  Someone said there are 3000 people waiting.  It sure doesn't look promising for this to be a speedy process.   I think the worst horror story I heard last night was a woman that has lost 90 pounds but it was mostly because she can't keep anything down.  She is using protein drinks.  I think she said she had her surgery 6 months ago. The one thing I know for sure is that I have to take off the weight.  My one knee has gotten worse.  I go in next week for a cortisone shot.  I figure there is a knee replacement in my future and I know they won't do it if I don't lose weight. There is another group that has meetings twice a month.  I might go to some of them also.

Sharon

Gastric Sleeve on 2-19-13

Cathy W.
on 3/20/08 10:34 pm
Hi Sharon,

Obviously by my job, I love and believe in support groups. I would encourage you to keep attending. Keep attending now while you're a pre-op and regularly after you're post-op. Throughout my years of being a support group leader, I've seen so many post-ops that drop out of their group for one reason or another. They are looking good, feeling good so why attend meetings, right? No. You continue attending because you are looking good and feeling good. There is something about the commonality of being morbidly obese and going through the weight loss journey....TOGETHER.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now....You'll hear all sorts of things at meetings. Take what applies to you, what you find helpful and rings true for you. You'll be there with people that understand and have been there done that too. Being part of a support group is very special. I think one of the best tools you can have is attending a physical support group and hanging out in between regularly right here on OFF. Those two things are the best of both.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. If you need anything, let us/me know.

Take care, Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Eileen Briesch
on 3/20/08 1:25 pm - Evansville, IN
You know, Sharon, our support group had someone who couldn't keep anything down but peanuts. There's at least one in every group. You're going to hear about someone who has problems and, yes, you could be the someone with complications. But, on the other hand, there are so many others who don't have problems.  I had the desperation moment too, when I hurt my right knee the second time. I was waiting for surgery (actually waiting for them to submit my insurance because they dragged their feet on it) and I tripped over a roll of Christmas wrapping paper in my living room, tore up my cartilage in my right knee for the second time. When I went to the ortho doc (not the one I have now), she told me that my weight was not helping me. Well, duh, don't I know that! That's why I'm trying to have weight loss surgery! If you get the weight off, the knee might be OK so you can stall the knee replacement for awhile, and when you do have to have it, you should recover faster (yeah, here's me telling you that, and I'm still having problems ... well, like I said, there's always an exception).  But going to the support group meetings will allow you to hear all sides, so it's good to do that. Take time picking a doctor. If this group has such a long waiting list, is there another surgeon in the area?  Good luck to you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Connie D.
on 3/21/08 12:18 am
Sharon...I also recommend that you continue with the support groups. If there is more then one in your area try them out and decide which one is best for you. They are a wonderful support. It helps to be able to discuss things face to face. I don't get to every support group but I still try my best to get to as many as I possibly can. Have you ever had Synvisc shots in your knees? They have worked wonders for me. The first set of three I had helped but the second set has really done the job. That was over a year ago and I have very little pain anymore....of course the weight loss has definately helped. Good luck. Hugs, connie d
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 378 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1177 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1184 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1122 views