Total Hip Replacement Surgery

Kathie L.
on 3/25/08 4:16 am - Castaic, CA
I'm so excited that I finally have a date for a total hip replacement - April 21! My journey has been a long one dealing with osteoarthritis. I formerly was very active (walking/hiking) to keep my life-long weight journey in check (average 50 lbs overweight). Three years ago I was experiencing a lot of pain after exercising and listened to my body which said "stop". I immediately gained another 25 pounds, but didn't want to go to the doctor's because I knew I'd get yelled at for being OLD and FAT (doctor's answers to everything). I begged with my orthopedic surgeon and finally with my GP for gastric by-pass and my GP said that he's had very good luck with it and recommended me to begin a 6-month class to prepare (hoping I'd lose weight during that time). Instead, I read the criteria from Blue Cross which said I needed a co-morbiditis (which I didn't have) or have a BMI of 40. After a life-long journey of yo-yo dieting I thought, I'll easily gain 25 pounds to qualify for the gastric by-pass since this was in November 2006 with holidays approaching.  2007 was a terrible year gaining the extra weight when I was already in chronic pain. But I opted this route to: 1) gain weight to qualify for WLS; 2) have WLS 10/23/2007; 3) have hip replacement and finally get the quality of my life back. I'm 56 years old and not ready for a wheel chair yet. So in less than 4 weeks I'm off for the final stage of my journey. My goal from the beginning has been to be pain-free. Since my WLS on 10/23 I'm down 78.5 pounds. My bariatric doctor wants me to increase my calories to be strong for my next surgery (which is difficult to do). I'm 21 pounds from my goal weight and read posts daily from other people. Thanks for being there and sharing my joys that I've experienced in reaching my goal. Thank God for the medical profession; in the days of yore I would have not wanted to live being in such pain and would have been fat and miserable! Kathie from California
Connie D.
on 3/25/08 4:37 am
Hi Kathie and welcome.....glad you joined us. Sounds like you have had quite a journey. I hope your hip replacement goes well and that you recover feeling so much better then before!! You are doing great on you weight loss......congrats!!! Hugs, connie d
KathiKins
on 3/25/08 4:53 am - CA
Hi Kathie, Best of luck to you with your hip surgery.  I'm sure you'll do very well.  My mother had hip replacement surgery several years ago.  She did exactly what the doctors told her to do and had great success.  A friend of ours had surgery and sort of cheated from what the doctors told him to do and had less success.   Take care and it's exciting to get to see you so encouraged! Kathi
MLONG
on 3/25/08 5:29 am - Wales , MA
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HIP REPLACMENT AND FAST RECOVERY  SOON YOU WILL BE BACK OUT THERE WALKING NAD DOING ANYTHING YOU WANT  KEEP US POSTED  BOO
Laureen S.
on 3/25/08 9:43 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Kathie, What a story, hope all goes well with the hip replacement, be sure to come back when you are finally up to it to let us know how you're doing!  Prayers and positive healing thoughts going out for you!

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Barb_E
on 3/25/08 12:48 pm - Grand Island, NE
Good luck with your hip surgery.  You will be suprised at how soon you will be pain free.  I had my right hip replaced Jan 07 and my left hip replaced Dec 07.  I have never regretted having them replaced. I will be 55 in a few days, and yes at our age we are to young to be in pain and in wheelchairs.   I wished they could do your surgery tomorrow instead of having you wait four weeks.   One tip they did not say to me but my sister did, was when you go home from the hospital put a plastic garbage bag over the seat in your vehicle, you will be able to slide in without any discomfor , I still use the garbage bag, it makes getting in my van so much easier. Good luck Barb from Nebr
Cajun Angel
on 3/25/08 3:27 pm - New Orleans, LA
Kathie, good luck with your hip surgery.  Keep us posted. Debbie
Kathie L.
on 3/26/08 1:17 am - Castaic, CA
Thank you all for your wonderful support. I love the idea of the plastic bag in the car to help slide in. I truly enjoy reading the way everyone supports one another at this website. The "arthritis" section doesn't seem to get many people writing in, but the people *****ad/write in the "over 50" forum are always there to lend an ear to anyone who wants or needs support. Thank you again for all my new friends out there who I know are silently supporting all us going through stressful times. Kathie from California!
(deactivated member)
on 3/26/08 10:30 am - Westerville, OH
Best wishes! I am in the same boat with the same problems. I have to lose the weight to get the joint work done. I totally understand your situation and am so happy you will be getting your hip soon!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 384 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1185 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1194 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1130 views