still losing

carollee
on 3/26/08 1:27 am - westminster, VT
I was wondering when people find they stop losing after wls. I will be 2 years out next week and I am still losing and my doc says Im underweight now and need to gain back a few lbs. I am 5 ft 6in tall, my starting weight was 301, my current weight is 120. I was down to 117 but gained back 3 lbs by eating all the wrong stuff. I was wondering if people could tell me if the body stops losing once we hit a certain weight. Thank You

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/08 1:34 am - Columbus, GA
I have found that the body seems to know when to stop losing... How do you feel?
carollee
on 3/26/08 2:21 am - westminster, VT

Thank you for replying Marc. Unfortunately I have been feeling pretty louzy and have seen my primary doc several times becuz my blood work keeps coming back so bad. I also get quite dizzy at times and she says she thinks its becuz of my lack of calories and nutrients. I am on several supplements. Vitamin D is the worse one that came back and potassium was pretty low too. The docs are concerned becuz they feel that I have at the very LEAST 20+ lbs of excess skin on my lower body, mostly my thighs and calves and IF I was to have that removed, it would put me below 100 lbs and I am 5 ft 6 so that would be to  low of a number. I got down to 116 at my lowest but got back up to 120. The docs would like to see me at 150, then if I do get the skin removal, I will still be at a "normal" bmi/weight. Right now Im a little underweight they say. I had an appt yesterday with my surgeon, hes a general surgeon, not a bariatric surgeron but unfortunately he was called into surgery so I had to reschedule for april 8th. The last time I saw him, I weighed 150, and we were suposed to talk about my skin removal at this appt but my primary care docs says Im at to low of a weight to get it done now. Its discourageing. :(. I followed my after care plan right up until I was a year out, I never over ate, I stayed on liquids/soft/pureed et****il I was told to move on, I still count every calorie and try to get in enough protein but I dont always do so. Hopefully this is it and I will stop losing and I think I will feel better if I gain 10 lbs or so but in all reality, I dont want to gain even an oz. Hopefully I will get my head straighed out about all of this. Again thank you

Connie D.
on 3/26/08 3:44 am
Carol...I don't mean this in a mean way but have you thought about getting therapy for the weight issue...not wanting to gain when you should. You must work on getting that protein and calories in...you don't want to look anorexic. You are looking pretty thin right now...at least on your avatar you do. Just my opinion....I am concerned. Hugs, connie d
carollee
on 3/26/08 4:22 am - westminster, VT

Connie Thank you for responding, actually I am down another 20 lbs or so since that pic was taken. I am in therapy becuz of this issue , it seems to help somewhat but I am so afraid of gaining back all of my weight that Ive come to the conclusion that the only one that can change anything is ME. My primary care doc has actually said I am aneroxic or at least borderline. People tell me constantly that I look terrible or to thin etc. Its such a struggle. I am so hopeing things get better. I really am trying to do as Im told to, but its so darn hard. I dont see myself as a thin person yet, I still see the same old overweight/obese that I got used to seeing all my life. Thank you so much for responding.

Connie D.
on 3/26/08 5:24 am
Carol...boy can I relate with the seeing yourself fat. I am at the same place right now. I too am working with a therapist on this issue. I am about 6 pounds from my goal...below doctors goal for sure. People are telling me not to lose anymore etc....I don't see it either....I don't feel thin. However I am still 136 pounds and 5'4" tall. I would like to stay between 125 and 130. I wonder how long it will take for our brains to catch up!! Good luck...and prayers are being sent your way. Hugs, connie d
carollee
on 3/26/08 7:49 am - westminster, VT
I sent you a personal msg

Cathy W.
on 3/26/08 3:52 am
Hi Carol, I've found for myself and other bariatric post-ops that your body knows when to stop.  With adequate nutritional consumption, protein, and adherence to listening to your body when it needs to be fed, you will hit a range for a healthy weight. You can maintain your weight by eating healthy foods and not resort to eating the "wrong stuff".  Show a period of time food logs to your nutritionist, surgeon or other health care professional to make certain you're getting what you need. Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

carollee
on 3/26/08 4:23 am - westminster, VT
Thank you Cathy, its the protein and calories I really need to work on. My calorie intake is so low, I got used to living on just the 500-800 calories that I consumed for months that its hard to step it up to a normal intake. Im working on it though, Again, thank you

fhgt48
on 3/26/08 12:36 pm - Caldwell, ID
I am getting a little concerned myself. I am almost 8 months out and all I can get in is between 400-600 Cal per day. I feel so stuffed, to the point of too full. I get my protein in, thanks to the protein drink. It is 8:30 PM and I still can't eat any supper. I am 5'8" so I should be able to eat more. I am worried about gaining weight back also. I think it is really ingrained in us from all the years of being MO. I am concerned that in another year I will be able to eat anything and then will struggle to keep the weight off. Let me know if you find good answers. Diana

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 384 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1185 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1194 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1130 views