I did it!!!

susandoeshair
on 11/19/11 10:18 pm - Alexander, AR
Yep, all 13.1 miles of a half marathon!!!  Got the medal and sticker for my car to prove it....not to mention the sore, tired achy body...lol

It was a very brisk morning, about 45 degrees, but we quickly warmed up. Five hundred or so folks out for an assault on their bodies. Oh sure, many were in much better shape than us, but you can't run for 13.1 or 26.2 miles and not have your system affected in some way.

Gary had estimated that it would take us about 4 hours to complete the course at the speed I normally walk. I did fine for the first 5 miles, but started wishing I was doing anything but this about the time we made the turn to go to the finish line. By mile 8 I was suffering, crying, and swearing at Gary. I likened it to labor....you know the stages. You start out thinking that this is going to be a piece of cake, and about half way through everything and everybody makes you crazy. I couldn't stand the ear warmers touching me, threw my iPod at Gary, stood bent over sobbing. At that point, he said at our current time, it would take at least another hour to finish. I moved on. About another 1/2 mile ahead, I was wobbly and just had to sit down. Gary called for the rescue van. I was angry and defeated. 

After about 5-10 minutes sitting there, somehow I got my second wind. Gary helped me up and, shuffling along, I continued. We were about 2 miles from the end. Gary said if I stopped then, he'd drag my ass over the finish line because he wasn't going to let me quit. The rescue van came along and I assured them I was fine....they continued to check on me about every 20 minutes. Miraculously, I felt better, and aside from needing a bathroom REALLY badly, I knew I could finish.

Finish I did!  I went to bed at 7:30 last night after taking a muscle relaxer and  anti-inflammatory. Slept for 11 hours. I feel fine this morning, but I'm walking like Fred Sanford, but that's okay. I have a tee shirt, medal, and the damn 13.1 sticker on my car that Gary placed there for me. Now everyone in the family has one.

Life is good.

Susan

poegirl100
on 11/19/11 10:54 pm - Cibolo, TX
WOW!!!

Vickie 

karen C.
on 11/19/11 11:26 pm - Kennewick, WA
Love you Susan! And you apprecate that DAMN sticker every time you look at it!  What a woman!!!!

Karen C

lightswitch
on 11/19/11 11:46 pm

YOu are my idol.  Way to go!  I am going to sign up for the next one they have here.  I've done very small five mile walks/runs, but never anything so impressive.  You have motivated me, so I am starting the training.  

Think of all the calories you burned.  I bet you burned two days worth.  And, now that you've done it once, you can train again and aim for a quicker time.  Everyone should have one impossible feat to tackle.  You are the bomb.   

Monica B.
on 11/19/11 11:57 pm - Emery, SD
So proud of you Sue. Wow you are amazing.

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 12:46 am
Connie D.
on 11/20/11 12:48 am
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!      

You deserve the medal and the sticker!! I could no way do what you did. You are amazing!! I am very proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGS and LOVE.....connie d

Eileen Briesch
on 11/20/11 1:13 am - Evansville, IN
You're a better, braver woman than I, Susan. I couldn't do it, I know. I can barely do a mile without being in agony. Hell, I can barely walk down to the newsroom at work without my cane.

Enjoy your accomplishment. It's a big one.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Terri Ott Norris
on 11/20/11 2:36 am - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17
BOOYAH!!  Good for you!!

(BTW- I think Fred Sanford has a FINE walk!)

Thanks for the inspiration !

Have a Blessed Day....

BLOG: www.sweattodaysmiletomorrowcom.wordpress.com

Nancy H.
on 11/20/11 2:52 am - Traverse City, MI
Awesome!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 401 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1208 views