Anybody else suffer with Restless Leg Syndrome?

Musicmama88
on 12/30/11 9:24 am - Danville, IN
If so, do you take Requip? I have been taking it for almost a year, and it helps, but I have learned that when I run out or dont have it,,the RLS is so much worse than it ever was! Hubbys place of business was sold and a new owner took it over as a franschise, and he hasnt got the new insurance in place yet. As a result I couldnt get my meds, due to them being almost two hundred dollars. I thought I was gonna lose my mind with the restless limb problem. No sleep, walking the floor, hot baths, cold baths, rubbing,,nothing helped. Then that threw me into anxiety attacks, every day! I was so miserable. Finally a friend of mine brought me a months supply of requip because she gets three months at a time and doesnt take them everyday. I was so thankful,,I could finally sleep.

My question is,,is restless legs a side effect of WLS ya think? I never had em before,,and this past couple years has been horrible. And I read that once you start the meds, you have to keep upping them in order for them to keep working. This concerns me. Im already taking them three times a day! Wish there was a home remedy, but I have researched and tried em all.

Anybody else having these experiences? Just kinda wondering..

Blessings
Betsy
"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

lightswitch
on 12/30/11 9:51 am

I had restless leg syndrome a lot worse before wls.  I still have it but I only suffer right before going to sleep and it is usually just me rubbing my feet together.  I know others have it really badly and I feel so sorry for those of you who do have to take the meds.  In the big picture, if a pill or two will take the symptoms away, I say go for it.  I resisted B 12 for years because I didn't want to rely upon shots, but now that I have started taking it, I am feeling more energy that I've ever felt in my life…what was I thinking.  So, take the meds and get some sleep.  

On a side note, I didn't realize the meds were so dang expensive.   

Musicmama88
on 12/30/11 10:12 am - Danville, IN
Yeah,,and there is no generic!! I tend to feel like you,,take the pill if ya have too. I feel like a cocaine addict when Im about to run out though,,I absolutley PANIC!!! :(
"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

karen C.
on 12/30/11 10:47 am - Kennewick, WA

Betsy, I have severe RLS; had it before weight loss surgery. Like you if I forget or run out of meds it is horrible. I could almost commit murder at that point. I have taken Mirapex for years;it was used before Requip. I thought it was no longer working and the doctor switched me to a "starter dose" of Requip. I about went nuts for 2 days. I don't know if it just wasn't a large enough dose or what. Anyway I went back to my Mirapex after the doctor said that is also used for treating fibromyalgia up to 4.5 mg. I now take 3mg of the GENERIC form of Mirapex. It costs $1.00 for 90 pills and is working great. If you decide to give it a try make sure they give you a large enough dose. I think the 1pm of Requip they wanted me to start on just was not enough.

One thing I have wondered about is following WLS perhaps we don't absorb our meds as well. Getting this medication adjusted has made a world of difference to me. I too go into severe anxiety mode when my legs start in. I am usually fine as long as I am moving; it just kicks in when I sit down to relax in the evening or am a passenger in the car on a long car ride. I've told Mike (almost at gunpoint!) "Let me out or let me drive!"

I think when we don't have the meds we need we go into a withdrawal don't you? Believe me I understand.

Karen C

Judy G.
on 12/30/11 1:17 pm - Galion, OH

I don't have RLS but I noticed that when I do not drink alot of water my legs sure do twitch alot at night when I try to go to sleep.

HUGS

grammylew
on 12/30/11 8:51 pm - Jacksonville, NC
I have had RLS for years. I have tried: carbadopa-levodopa, requip, mirapex, and now clonazapam.
Each works for a year or so, then less and less, until not at all. So far the clonazapam has worked for the last 6 months.
One thing I do if the RLS comes in the middle of the night and I have taken all of my meds, I get on my elliptical and go as fast as I can for as long as I can. Then I hope I can fall asleep while the RLS is still at bay. If I am away from home or someone is sleeping in our spare room with the elliptical in it, I will tighten my calves and go up on my toes and back down as fast and as long as I can.
I always have to take the meds if I'm gonna be on a plane for more than 4 hours!
Good luck!

Grammylew in Jax

judyk62
on 12/31/11 1:07 pm - Santa Rosa, CA
Yes! I have had restless legs for years, and while I have tried different meds at times, I also come back to the clonazepam. I take 1 mg mid-evening and usually it works pretty well. I just had my surgery on 11-28 and I have been experiencing more difficulty with the legs than in the past. Could have something to do with the fact that I have to crush my meds and drink them. They may not be being absorbed properly. I would love to get off the clonazepam, but I just don't know what else to do And like you grammylew, when flying I try to schedule a day flight because they are most intense in the later evening when I stop moving and try to relax.

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

poegirl100
on 1/1/12 3:47 am - Cibolo, TX
Welcome to OFF, JudyK!  Haven't seen you post before.  This is a great group of wonderful, wise, and sometimes wacky women!  Lots of advice and support and friendship to be had here.  What kind of surgery did you have?  You are just one month out, but I'll bet it has been very eventful for you.  Keep coming back and post often so we can get to know you. 

Vickie 

judyk62
on 1/1/12 5:35 am - Santa Rosa, CA
 Hi Vickie and all,

I had the VSG surgery on 11/28. Since I am definitely a newbie, I have been on the VSG board mostly, as I learn what to do, how to do it, etc. But I probably belong here. I am 62, work full time - will be returning reluctantly on 1/4. Just getting on started on "real food", so I have a long ways to go,, both in my learning and my weight loss journey. Thanks for the welcome! 

HW: 284: SW: 274: CW: 152.8. Goal: 159  

gonersmom
on 1/4/12 3:56 am
This may sound really strange, but here goes. My husband has had 'jumping legs' for 25+ years. Some nights it's as if I'm sleeping on a 'fault line'. The bed shakes as if in an earthquake.

This summer my husband was listening to John Tesch (radio show) and he suggested drinking Tonic water for the quinine if you had leg problems. Since then, my husband faithfully drinks a glass an evening before bed, and I honestly can't remember the last time he jumped.

Wal-mart also carries a couple of products for restless legs/leg cramps in the vitamin isle. One of those products says "Contains Quinine" on the label. That also works well.

FYI...my husband is a complete skeptic on many things. The fact that he continues to drink the tonic is a true test of this working! LOL

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 373 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1171 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1179 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1118 views