Long Term Health

granola
on 9/16/12 1:13 pm
I have not been here in over 6-7 years?  So long I can't remember.  I am over 9 years out and this past year my electrolytes, potassium and magnesium have caused two syncopal (fainting) spells that have caused serious injury. (A fractured shoulder, torn rotator cuff and three head wounds)  Just a heads up!!!  TAKE YOUR SUPPLEMENTS - LONG TERM.  I have not had a problem maintaining weight loss, but a real issue maintaining nutritional health.  Be well everyone and stay as healthy as you can.  I've been through anorexia (early), drinking too much, spending too much, ego, judgement of others who have not succeeded at this life changing opportunity, all of it.  And I am so humbled by the growth it has brought me.  Now I'm just scared!!!  About time I guess.
Connie D.
on 9/16/12 3:44 pm
Oh boy,do I wish I could share this with a friend. She never takes her vitamins, rarely gets in all her water, does her calcium pretty well but, not great on protein all the time. She tends to do mostly shakes. She thinks because her numbers are all good that she doesn't need the vitamins etc....it scares me!! I was anorexic and fell...broke my hip about 3 years ago. I follow most all the rules and it still happened to me. I am just a little over 5 years out. I have put on a little weight but am working hard on getting rid of it again!

You seem very familiar to me...I have been here about 6 years or so.

I am wishing you the best of everything. Thank you so much for sharing!!

HUGS....connie d
granola
on 9/16/12 6:59 pm
Thanks Connie!  I had my surgery in 2003, July, so I'm over 9 years out.  Got too skinny and worked hard to gain 20 pounds.  Just about right now....except. 

I learned a long time ago we cannot make another person take care of themselves!  I hope your friend doesn't have to find out the hard way like I did.  This is some scary stuff!!  Yikes.

Hugs back,
Jeani
poegirl100
on 9/17/12 6:40 pm - Cibolo, TX
Thank you for posting about this.  I am only 1 1/2 years out, but this is good to know.  I do try to remember to take all my vitamins and supplements daily, but sometimes I mess up and skip a couple.  I told my family to be sure and help me remember to take all of them all the time!

I hope that you will recover and feel better soon.  I always appreciate hearing from those who have already been "down the road", so to speak, and share their experiences.  Thanks so much.

Vickie 

Laureen S.
on 9/18/12 3:17 am - Maple Shade, NJ
 If you have a smartphone Vickie, you can set an alarm to remind you when to take the vitamins, or send yourself reminders via email, it's what I used to do.  Thanks for the Kale Soup recipe, I will be trying that in the coming weeks. . . 

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Laureen S.
on 9/18/12 3:20 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Always good to see an "old timer" come around and share what life long-term is like and what pitfalls we need to watch out for.  Amazing how we progress through this journey and I can relate to all you shared.  I am one who never quite made goal, gained back close to 30 lbs. and have been battling to lose it for the last 2 years.   This journey is not "easy" by any stretch of the imagination, but just by virtue of the people I've managed to meet along the way, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.  So long as I have the tool, I will continue to use it to the best of my ability, the behaviors of a lifetime will take time and lots of self awareness to change and that is the real deal. . . 

Wishing you well and hope to see you around some. . .

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 373 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1171 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1179 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1118 views