Revision at 62

jzwife
on 1/9/13 3:03 pm

I was on the over 50 board years ago and met many wonderful people- even getting to meet some of them in person . I found this board to be so supportive and helpful. i tried going to the revision board but they were a little too tough for me. Kind of felt a little beat up by them rather than supportive.Decide to  pick up my ball and go home! Perhaps I'm too thin skinned. Its hard enough being overweight when all you really need or want is the support.

I had an RNY in 2006. About 4 months out I ended up with a fistula bringing my weight loss to screeching halt! I have finally decided on a revision. I was referred out to Madigan Army medical center. The surgeons are excellent and they work as a team- at least in my case with this fistula. I still haven't decided whether to go to a DS revision or an RNY (just change it up a bit by lengthening the limb and get rid of the fistula.) In the mean time they are going to do an EGD and glue the fistula to close it so that my food goes into the pouch and common channel rather than the pouch and dissected stomach. This will give me a little weight loss before I make that decision. They have told me they can do either one but I will make my decision based on the surgeons input and I will do my homework!

In the meantime, I hope you all don't mind if I hang out here and glean from your experiences and successes!

Sharon

poegirl100
on 1/9/13 10:06 pm - Cibolo, TX

Hello Sharon!

I had revision RNY from a very early version of the band, called a Molina Band.  I'm so glad I did!  I love OFF!  They are my lifeline for WLS.  Don't know what I would do without my daily dose of OFF.

Nice to meet you.  Looking forward to getting to know you!

Vickie 

Debbie A.
on 1/9/13 11:09 pm - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12

I'm some what new to the group also...been here since July and had RNY in Aug. This by far is the best group of people I've ever had the privilege to meet. So welcome or should I say welcome back. I look forward to reading your post.

Thoughts and prayers,

Debbie 

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"

"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Connie D.
on 1/9/13 11:45 pm

Hello Sharon and welcome back!!

Hope to get to know you better. I love this group!!

HUGS....connie d

jzwife
on 1/10/13 1:56 am

Thanks so much for making me feel so welcome! I hope to get to know each of you better.

lightswitch
on 1/10/13 8:54 am

Sharon,

Welcome.  One of my friends had a revision and when she went to the doctor who did the revision, he told her that her weight gain wasn't her fault, that something had to have happened.  (she gained all of her weight back plus extra).  Well, when he go into do her revision, he found that her opening from the pouch to the intestines had a hernia and it stayed open all the time plus, she had a fistula that caused her food that didn't rush through into the intesting to go into the other part of her stomach.  He went in and did the revision and she it was the first time that she ever felt a full pouch and she has lost over 200 pounds.  She is doing great.  I, too, had a revision but for a different reason: I developed severe ulcerations and lost so much weight, they had to put a tube into my abdomen so that I could get continous feedings.  The revision removed ulcers and gave me a little more small intestine for absorbtion and I am now doing great.   

Welcome back and I know you will do fine, no matter what your choice. 

jzwife
on 1/10/13 1:06 pm

Thank you! I have learned so much on this little journey of mine. I realized after talking to several other surgeons that the weightloss wasn't my fault. That was when I finally had the courage to come back and seek a revision. I originally went to a different surgeonwho was not a military Dr and found I had breast cancer. I had to take a side journey and resolve that before going forward. Being sent to Madigan (an army facility) for the breast cancer  was a blessing in disguise for me. The Drs have been absolutely wonderful. While I was there they offered me   the chance to have this revision. I was told I could have the DS or an RNY revision so I am taking it instead of going back to the original surgeon who only offered the RNY. I now have choices. I want to make the best decision possible for me as it will be lifelong.

In the next few weeks I will be going in to have an EGD where they will glue the fistula closed so that I can have some restriction to lose weight . The extra weightloss will help with the revision. The next few months are going to be quite the ride for me. Thanks again for making me feel a part of this again!

pineview01
on 1/11/13 3:40 am - Davison, MI

Sharon!  Glad you made it over here.  This is a much more supportive group.  The DS group can be a very forceful group.  I met some in person at the OH convention and they were just as "intense" in person.  I don't judge people, my oldest sister has a DS and isn't like that.  They just have a passion and chip on their shoulders as the Main stream medical WLS would doesn't approve.

If I had the chance to get the DS and the Army was going to pay for it I would pick it over a RNY revision.  But, that is just me.  Some of my best buds are RNYers and do really well.  I just am a firm believer in having the pyloric valve left in tack doing its job.  Did you see my link before you bailed on the Revision board?

Welcome enjoy and relax!

Piney

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jzwife
on 1/11/13 4:25 pm
jzwife
on 1/11/13 4:30 pm

Thanks Piney. I love this board. They have always been great and I have met some really wonderful people here.

I appreciate your great advice and Iwink appreciate you having my back. The other site was just a little too intense for me.

Good luck on you upcoming surgery. You will do great!

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 378 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1177 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1184 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1122 views