Heaviness in my Heart, but Hope from What I am seeing here. . .

Laureen S.
on 9/3/13 12:25 am, edited 9/3/13 12:31 am - Maple Shade, NJ

As many of you are aware, I lost my dear brother, Frank, last Thursday morning. . .  I received a call at work that he was in extremely critical condition, having collapsed after getting on his commuter bus, which had not yet left for the trek to work. . . I got in my car, called my son, who met up with me and together we made the 3 hour drive to where my brother lived in Holtsville, New York. . . about an hour away I found out he had passed. . .  my brother Frank was 47 years of age, he was my after Xmas, Xmas present when I was 10.5 years of age, I diapered him, I watched him and we were very close, he was my only sibling.  His cause of death .  . . obesity. . .  in part, it is an affliction of my family, in part, it is a lifestyle of bad habits and then there was the component of his spending most of the last 16 years of his life, driving 90 miles each way to work, leaving little time for a lot of the things that once kept him in check. . .  he recently had lost over 50 lbs. and was trying through diet modification and adding some light physical activity in, to take charge of his health. . . .  we had talked about surgery, which he considered at one point, but due to a job loss that greatly saddened him, not to mention how it impacted the way he supported his family, he told me his head, at that time was not in it. . .  he got another job, much less income, but he was happy to be working and sadly that job was also 90 miles each way, but after a year, he laid it all out to them (his employers), they loved him so much, that they made it possible for him to work closer to home recently and it was just this month that he was no longer driving 90 miles, but less than 10 to take a commuter bus. . .  he was excited and looking forward to my younger of two nephews senior year in high school. . . he was extremely dedicated to his wife and children, and in spite of his grueling schedule coached his son's sports teams, cheered them on in all that they did and while sometimes extremely hard on them, was a mentor to many of their friends and seeing the fine young men they've turned into, tells me everything I need to know that he did right by them. . .  my brother, lived a large life, large in size, but larger still in the many lives he touched in a positive way, for even the newest of friends he made, had nothing but praise for the man he was.  I knew that his services would be well attended, but never in my life was I prepared for the amazing support and generosity that was exhibited in the past few days.  It makes me sad that I've lost such a dear one, but I believe he is smiling down at his son's and wife, his spirit lives on in them and all the many who spoke so highly of his encouraging words and deeds.  Thank you all for your posts to Facebook

When last I was here, I was discouraged by some of the things I saw, now I am seeing what I knew could happen.  We are all connected through our journey here and we need remember one thing, the sharing of information and the supporting of one another is truly what our ties are about here.

May you be blessed for having found what you need.

Much love, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Kathie L.
on 9/3/13 2:18 am - Castaic, CA

Dear Laureen,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your love will live on in your heart forever.

Obesity Kills. I'm forever grateful for my life today which continues to amaze me.

All best best.

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Connie D.
on 9/3/13 2:22 am

Good morning Laureen....I am so saddened by the loss of your brother. So heartbreaking for you, his family, and all left behind. He had a wonderful smile and obviously a beautiful heart. God Bless you all.

We will always be here for you, Laureen.  We will support you, listen to you, and encourage you. You are a great friend to so many of us here on OFF. Speak freely and as often as you want. Share stories if that will help. I care and so do all the OFF members.

Love and hugs and prayers.....connie d

Connie D.
on 9/3/13 2:24 am, edited 9/3/13 2:25 am

Laureen...thank you for sharing this story with us. I am sure it was sifficult for you to write.

YES... obesity kills!! This really opens my eyes to what I need to do about this regain! Thank You!

HUGS....connie d

Ladys_mom
on 9/3/13 6:08 am - Muscatine, IA

Laureen - my heart goes out to you and your family.  I hope and pray that the pain you are now feeling will soon be replaced with many, many happy memories.

Randa

carlak
on 9/3/13 7:50 am - Bradenton, FL

Laureen,

My heart is going out to u and your family. I to lost my mother to obesity 49 years ago. also heart problemms.  I was ten. 

I feel for u

Carla

image hosting site

Jo W.
on 9/3/13 8:00 am - Owosso, MI

Laureen   I am sorry for your loss.   It does sound like he did live an  good full life.   May your happy memories sustain you in the sad times!   Prayers for your family.

lightswitch
on 9/3/13 8:07 am

Laureen,

Over the last couple of months, I, too, lost a brother.   It is, indeed, a horrible experience and you will, no doubt, miss him terribly.

I am so sorry and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

love you

j

Debbie A.
on 9/4/13 1:12 am - Discovery Bay, CA
RNY on 08/15/12

Laureen,

I'm so sorry for your lost! God Bless you and your family at this time. I too lost a sister 9 yrs ago from pancreatic cancer! I miss her everyday.

Thoughts and prayers to you!

Debbie

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"

"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Judy G.
on 9/4/13 6:38 am - Galion, OH

Laureen...HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSS its going to be so hard for you and family but you WILL get through this...it IS a sad occasion to lose a loved one like that. Remember the happy times....I am sure he would love that!!!

HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 401 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1208 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1212 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1150 views