One more thing to keep up on

susandoeshair
on 10/4/13 9:33 am - Alexander, AR

Here is what you need to know:

A ferritin blood test checks the amount of ferritin in the blood. Ferritin is a protein in the body that binds to iron; most of the iron stored in the body is bound to ferritin. Ferritin is found in the liver , spleen , skeletal muscles, and bone marrow. Only a small amount of ferritin is found in the blood. The amount of ferritin in the blood shows how much iron is stored in your body.

Normal ferritin level for a woman is 15-200, mine is 7. That's great actually, because last year it was 4. I was prescribed oral supplements, nothing. Liquid(ferris sulphate) and gagged every morning taking the stuff until I finally quit taking it. Of course, my doctor deemed me " non compliant"....ME??? Yeah, well he's never taken the crap!

So, now I'm facing IV iron therapy, a lovely procedure that takes 5-8 hours. It starts with a ****tail of Benadryl, Demerol and steroid, then a test dose of the iron. Seems anaphylaxis is a pesky side effect, so they're very careful before starting the actual drip. Hard to say how long it will take before I see a difference in my levels, but it will most likely take a series.

Take your vitamins. You know I do, and **** still happens

Susan

Connie D.
on 10/4/13 11:52 am

Susan....so sorry you are having problems. I hope the IV and meds can help.

I never miss my calcium or vitamins....I know what can happen.

HUGS....connie d

susandoeshair
on 10/4/13 11:54 am - Alexander, AR
Yeah, that's the thing, I don't either! I even double up on some of them, including my iron. Oh well

Susan

diane48
on 10/4/13 5:55 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Hi,

I've read from other posters that the iron infusion works pretty well.  Hope you don't have a reaction!  I was given the liquid ferrous sulfate after a post op complication.  They didn't say that it "may" turn my teeth black.  I was sure shocked when I looked in a mirror!  Took a lot of brushing to get that out.  I started the pills as soon as I could!

susandoeshair
on 10/4/13 9:51 pm - Alexander, AR
How did you get that gawd awful stuff down?

Susan

Laureen S.
on 10/7/13 8:17 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Hi Susan,

Wise advice, as staying compliant with our vitamin regiment is something we MUST do.  I have missed a dose here and there, but it is the one thing I have not messed with. . .  still I have iron deficiency and I know others around the same time as me, who have already had to go for infusions. . .  I'll know in January how well the supplement I'm on works and I am also trying to eat high in iron vegetables, like kale, spinach and others. . .

Hugs, L

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 401 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1208 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1212 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1150 views