Ferritin--- good news

susandoeshair
on 11/18/13 5:47 am - Alexander, AR

Hello all!  

First of all, Jeannie,  thanks for doing the eating thread.  I'm so easily distracted that if it's not in my regular routine, it doesn't get done.  I'll try to remember to get here more often...promise!

i had an iron infusion about six weeks ago because my ferritin level(your stored iron) was down to 7.  Normal is 15-200, so it's no wonder why I felt the way I did.

well, the doctor called today and the IV apparently worked, because my level is now 262.   WOWZERS!  She said not to be concerned about it being high since I have issues keeping it up, the cushion will be a good thing.

yes....I'm extremely compliant with all if my supplements, in case you're wondering.  Seven years out and it happens.

Susan

Connie D.
on 11/18/13 10:34 am, edited 11/18/13 10:34 am

Susan...I am glad you got your Ferritin level up....way to go!!

I have the same problem. All my levels were checked last week. Everything is spot on. That is everything but Ferritin.....it is way too low. My doctor didn't say anything about how I can increase it.

Do you know how I could boost it up?? Jeannie do you know? Thanks ladies!

Love you...hugs....connie d

susandoeshair
on 11/18/13 10:41 am - Alexander, AR

Ferritin is your stored iron.  Vita lady has some bariatric friendly iron supplements that are appropriate. For us.  Unfortunately, I was beyond taking supplements.  Prescriptions, various kinds, didn't do anything, hence the IV.

red meat, dark leafy greens, beets, etc.  

do you know what your level was?

Susan

Connie D.
on 11/18/13 10:37 am

Susan...I too am very compliant with my vitamins, calcium and iron and others.

connie d

lightswitch
on 11/18/13 11:23 am

Susan,

I don't mind starting the thread for you whenever you need it to be done.  My ferritin was low last year and I had to report to the ER where they politely transfused me with iron.   

Good news on my Vit D levels--they are now up to like 22 so I am getting closer to norma.   My doctor is happy and said we can continue with the supplements and get more lab in a month.  

I am still getting B12 and also taking the really crappy calcium tablets that make me sick at my belly. 

It is good to have you back and you and I should plan a day of hanging out.  

susandoeshair
on 11/18/13 11:36 am - Alexander, AR

I so wish you would give the D supplement I'm taking a try.  Mine went from 11 53 in 5 weeks.  What could it hurt?

id love another hanging out 

Susan

Nancy B
on 11/18/13 1:19 pm - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

I am also very compliant with my supplements. My bloodwork is again all normal except iron again...Doctor told me to eat more RED meat,, liver and spinach as well as my supplement.

I was shocked when my ONCOLOGIST told me that the average compliancy for taking my cancer meds (arimidex) was only 49%!!! Why would anyone go thru surgery and all the treatments and then NOT take their cancer meds regularly!? She was thrilled when I answered that I NEVER forget to take mine even though I detest what it does to me....but we do what we must.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Laureen S.
on 11/26/13 10:18 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Hi Ladies,

It's been sometime since I checked in here, sorry but once I started the new job, well suffice it to say that I don't have a lot of desire to be on my home computer as much as I used to.  BTW, I LOVE my new job!!!  I now spend about an hour checking in on Facebook and/or decompressing via Candy Crush or some such mindless entertainment.

On the issue of Iron. . .  as a bariatric support group leader for a number of years, it came to my attention that many compliant vitamin takers, depending on ages (meaning women who are still having periods), suffer from ferritin iron deficiency between years 3 and 6.  It makes sense that we would, as generally, we eat less quantity and therefore are getting less iron through our foods.  Many of my friends in the weightloss group have had to go the route of infusion, right now my doctor has me on 325 mg of Ferrous Sulfate, which I take with a chewable C vitamin each night before bed.  I go for a new round of blood work in January so I will let you know how it goes, but I've been doing this for about 7 or 8 weeks now and I think that it may be helping me, as I am not getting winded and am finding myself a bit more energetic than I was prior to beginning this regime.  In the past Iron always bound me up, not sure if it's the C or what, but I am not having any issues with my bowels and am grateful for that.  Also, I take a vitamin d tablet (think it's 3000 units) along with my calcium supplements to increase its ability to be absorbed by my body.  I time my vitamins in such a way as to be sure they all get absorbed.  

All of my other levels have consistently been good, with my b-12 high, so I am now taking it only once a week and will see how that works with my next round of bloodwork.  Most vitamins (but not all) if taken in larger doses than needed are excreted out of our body.

Vitamin supplements for those of us who went the RNY route are very important, don't mess with the way you're supposed to take them, there are serious consequences for not being compliant.  Other surgical procedures have different needs (Duoduenal switch for instance have an extremely high malabsorbption rate and therefore they take a lot more vitamins daily and those with the sleeve don't have the malabsorbption factor the way we do and therefore their requirements are totally different than ours), if you have questions on what vitamin regiment you should be on, ask your surgeon or nutritionist.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 401 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1208 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1212 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1150 views