Exercise challenges

Mac333
on 5/22/14 11:11 pm
VSG on 04/24/14 with

Hey ya'll,

I am new to posting at 50 and over,usually post in other forums but last night I had a thought about my exercise challenges you might be able to help me with. I am 1 month VSG post op. Generally everything has gone well. Where I seem to be failing is exercise. I don't seem to have the energy physically . I have been on my treadmill 1x, swam once and tried to walk outdoors for 20 minutes. The next day I was very wiped out. I am 59 ...did anyone else here have similar experiences? I wasn't much of an exerciser before surgery but I know I need to do this to be successful. Any help would be very appreciated.

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

Twinkles2147
on 5/23/14 12:49 am

I found i had to start up slow and build up. I also limited myself to every other day at first. Start out walking 20 mins for a week then add 1 or 2 mins a day till yoi reach your goal. Also, alternate you exercise. You had a major surgery so be patient. With time and dedication your in endurance will build. 

Best wishes, 

Francine

Patricia R.
on 5/23/14 1:35 am - Perry, MI

Any Weight Loss Surgery is Major Surgery.  The body's ability to bounce back varies from person to person.  You are not failing at exercise.  The only way you could fail is to quit exercising altogether.  

Give yourself time to build up your endurance.  Set reasonable goals for each week, and then increase a little the next week.

One month post-op is too soon to expect a lot.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Judy G.
on 5/23/14 7:51 am - Galion, OH

Hello...I was never into any exercise either...BUT...if you want to exercise and are having a hard time doing it...start out doing what you can and then each week do a little more...like if one week you walk around the block...next week do two blocks...keep increasing as time goes on...you WILL get there!!!! And CONGRATS on your NEW LIFE!!!! Hang on its a WILD RIDE!!!!

pineview01
on 5/23/14 1:45 pm - Davison, MI

I am a vsg and I wasn't cleared to do any exercise other than walking for 6 weeks.  I was told no pool, tub or hot tubs for six weeks either.  Are you cleared for this?

How much fluid are you getting and how much protein?  I was told it was our job to heal, get in protein and water for the first six weeks.  Maybe you are pushing it?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mermaidoz
on 5/24/14 1:51 am - Canada

Although you may not get that impression, you have had major surgery and it takes about 3 months for your inner stitches to heal. Don't jeopardize your healing by attemting too much exercise too soon. Listen to your body telling you it needs to go easy and rest , and at 3 months or so, you will feel up to more vigorous exrcises and more energetic.

Jennifer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 368 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1167 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1175 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1114 views