Cooking Wednesday

poegirl100
on 11/25/15 7:07 am, edited 11/25/15 7:10 am - Cibolo, TX

Good morning sistas,

I slept in a little this morning.  It's been a week since I slept in my own bed.  Oh, it felt so good!  But I have to get started on my day pretty soon.  Much to do (and cook!) today.

I didn't get to tell y'all that I brought Lulu (one of Carrie's dogs) home with me.  I know I told y'all about the biting incident a few weeks ago.  Carrie was able to get her dogs out of quarantine last week and we traveled with them all around Texas, going to Nac and back and forth to Waco--no problems.  And THEN.  OMG.  Yesterday morning Lulu attacked one of Carrie's neighbor's dogs, while Carrie was standing right there.  Oh, heavens, it was awful.  The neighbor didn't panic; she acted upset, but not mad.  Anyway, the upshot is that I brought Lulu home with me.  Carrie just does not need that kind of tension right now.  Plus I have a fenced backyard, and I'm better set up to handle multiple dogs.  (Carrie lives in a duplex and has to either walk her dogs or stake them in the microscopic bit of yard she has.)  What a mess.  I don't really want to keep Lulu either, but I don't see what choice I have for the next several months.

Just FYI, Lulu is not aggressive with people, nor with the dogs she considers her "pack", just with strange dogs.  I'll just have to keep her separated from all other dogs while I figure out what to do about her.

Anyway, today is cooking day!  Chris took the boys to daycare and they'll stay there until I go to pick them up.  I could maybe cook with Benny in the house, but no way with Budder here.  He demands constant monitoring and attention.  I'll go pick them up around mid afternoon.  

Today I am making my desserts, the dressing, and the cranberry sauce and dips.  I like this kind of cooking.  I like to make the fun things.  I'm taking photos as I made the cornbread dressing to send to one of Carrie's friends.  Kim is definitely cooking challenged and she's hosting her family for Christmas.  I told her I would "help" her make the dressing.  LOL!  Virtual cooking lessons.  Go figure.

Connie, I'm sorry for all your troubles right now.  I lift you up in prayer each day.  You know I love you.  Sorry I have not been able to post many messages to you this past week.  

And sweet Kathy, I'm sure yesterday was a very hard day for you as you laid your precious baby brother to rest.  Funerals are always hard, but doubly so right on top of a big family holiday like Thanksgiving.  

Eileen, I loved that your brother made you Thanksgiving dinner and that y'all went out to the movies!  That's great!  I think Gary being your roommate is just what you needed!

Judy, I'm sorry for the situation with your granddaughters.  There's really not much you can do about it.  It's one of those situations where the more you protest, the worse it gets.  All we can do is pray that as they get older, they will gain some perspective and begin to see the world through their own eyes, and not just through the eyes of their mother.  

Cindi B., you are making good progress with settling into your new home.  I love seeing your projects on FB.  You go, girl!  

Mary, I am sure you will be like me--up and down this week.  It's hard, but we will do what we must for our families and grieve when we can.  I love you, and I'm praying for you.

Carla, safe travels and hug Vinnie for all of us!

Trish, I wish I could bring you a meal and spend a few hours visiting while you recover.  I'm sorry you have to go back in "the boot" again.  Praying for a swift recovery and no pain!

There are others I meant to comment on, but now I can't remember, and I'm out of time.  I have to step away from the computer now and get busy in the kitchen.

Love you all!  Wish I could have you all over for dinner tomorrow!!!

Vickie 

ArleneG
on 11/25/15 9:20 am

Hi OFF Family.

Vicki, It sounds like you have your hands full. I hope everything turns out OK with Lulu the dog. You are making yummy things today. Just know that even when I don't post, I am always thinking of you.

Connie, sorry about you feeling poorly. I do wish there was something we could do for you, but please know we do love you.

To Kathy, my heart breaks for you as you laid your beloved brother to rest. You and your family are in our collective prayers.

Mary, I am sure you grieve also every single day. Just know we lift you up in prayer and send our love.

Carla, I see you will be on the road again. It is difficult to have your grand so far away. I would be visiting often too. Safe travels.

Eileen, I am so happy you have your brother with you. Sounds like the living situation is working out fine.

Trish, I see you will be wearing a boot for your foot. Hope it is not too uncomfortable. I hope you heal well.

And sending love to all on OFF.

As for me, I am happy to be living here in Port St Lucie. I will be going to my niece by former marriage (lol) home tomorrow along with about 40 people. I may not like my roommate, but his sister and her family are awesome loving people. So, as in life, one must take the good with the not so good. Perhaps he was dropped on his head as a child. The all had the same father, he was mean, but most of the children came out OK and a couple did not. Thank goodness you know who is an old fart and stays in his room most of the time.

I love you all and wish you all the best. I may not post all the time, but you are in my mind and heart. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Patricia R.
on 11/25/15 11:14 am - Perry, MI

Good Afternoon Vickie and OFF,

Vickie, it sounds like you will have your hands full, between Lulu and the boys.  I understand about not being able to cook with certain little ones under foot.  I don't have a clue how I managed when my kids were that age.  I hosted the big family meals back then, because I had the biggest house.  But, my family did potlucks.  Neil worked at Boston Market a few years, as a manager, and he brought their dressing, and other sides.  Kathy always makes tons of pies, from scratch, every Thanksgiving.  One year we had 14 people and 14 homemade pies.  I always made the turkey, and Neil always helped with the carving, and taught me how to make gravy from scratch.  Then, Mom would show up and tell us how we were making the gravy wrong, even though Neil had studied culinary arts and was a chef.  It was an annual battle.  Boy, do I miss him.  I remember one year I was making mashed potatoes, and put in too much milk.  Neil laughed and said, "Potato soup."  I added instant potato flakes to thicken it.  My sis-in-law never peeled or boiled a potato while my other brother, her husband was alive.  Now, poor Colleen has to make instant potatoes, coz Trent's mom doesn't know how to cook.  I was raised on food made from scratch.  My mother-in-law used instant stuff.  I only use the instants in emergencies.  Too many additives, and chemicals.

Anyway, turns out Trent's mom is cooking tomorrow, coz one of Trent's sis-in-laws has to work, coz she's a nurse.  So, instead of going to Colleen's, we're going there.  I'm making homemade cranberry sauce, and a pumpkin pie for tomorrow.  You'd be amazed what I can do with the knee walker.  I have a little pain in my foot while using it, but nothing like when my foot is not elevated completely.  The worst is when I am between the knee walker and the chair.  Having my foot that low is excruciating.  But, I refuse to complain and whine, because my foot will heal.  Others have it so much worse than me.  My problem is temporary.

Connie, I hope you start feeling better.  

Eileen, it sounds like your living arrangement with your brother is working out.  

Judy, I hope your Mom is doing okay and that the funny farm is behaving.

Carla, when do you leave for Chicago?

Must scoot.

Love and hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Eileen Briesch
on 11/25/15 11:23 am - Evansville, IN

Hi Vickie and my OFF family:

Sorry I have been AWOL lately. Busy living life. Monday it was work and the Y; yesterday it was one appointment after another, then Thanksgiving dinner with my brother and the movies. I didn't have time to sit until 10 p.m. when we got home after the movie.

Well, as y'all read on Facebook, the dinner was a great success. Gary is a very good cook. The turkey wings were very good, I love his dressing and sweet potato casserole. My contribution was the green bean casserole (already made, a Bob Evans ready made one bought in the grocery store. It was enough for the two of us. The movie, "Mockingjay Part II," was wonderful, very good, just like the book.

Gary left this at 8 morning to drive to Sycamore, Ill., just west of the Chicago suburbs, where my oldest brother Ed now lives. Ed and his wife, Margaret, will host Thanksgiving dinner; they're getting mom over from the assisted living center somehow, although mom is freaking out about the snow (they got about a foot there). Me, I'll be eating leftovers and watching football all day. Looking forward to it, although I would have liked to have gone to see my family. Oh well ... I'll see them at Christmas. And Margaret promised to Skype tomorrow so I can see them all on Skype. 

Vickie, you are a busy bee as always. I love to cook, just don't like to stand that long because everything hurts. Even Gary made that comment last night after we sat down to eat.

I talked to Connie today; Nic was over, cooking breakfast for her. We talked for awhile and she sounded upbeat. I think Nic has that effect on her. 

I have no big plans for today. The only thing I may do after laundry is take a trip out to CVS for a few things and take out the garbage. Oh, and then nap a bit. I'm really tired. I wanted to go to the Y today but I was just too sore.  Between PT, the exercise class and chiropractor, I got a real workout. Everything hurts. So I'm resting my muscles today. Laundry and garbage is about all I'm doing. 

Have a good day. Don't overdo it.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

carlak
on 11/25/15 1:23 pm - Bradenton, FL

Hi there,

Ill bring up the afternoon rush!!! I got back from the Dr around noon. Chest X-ray and ekg done. Hernia of the left unguinal scheduled for December 23rd. Blood work to be done on Tuesday. 

I decided to fly to Chicago. I can't sit and drive for two days! I'm flying out of Tampa on December 3rd. I'll stay till December 17th. That's enough time to get into trouble!!!

i think I'll go to my cousins tomorrow. I really don't want to be around all that food! I'd rather just chill at home!!!

Carla

image hosting site

cindibarre
on 11/25/15 1:35 pm - Danforth, ME

Good afternoon Vickie and OFF-

Spent the morning driving south to my Texas family.  Tomorrow there will be around 40+ people here.  We usually do ham, turkey and BBQ.  Always way too much food.

Ill spend several days here as my friend needs sewing lessons as she's becoming Grandma early next year.  She wants to make some receiving blankets for baby.

Thoughts going out to all of you.  I know many of you will have a hard time tomorrow and you'll be in my thoughts.  Hugs to all of you and Happy Thanksgiving.

Cindi B

Judy G.
on 11/25/15 1:42 pm - Galion, OH

Afternoon OFF family...

Well today I had my free thermal exam at the Chiro doc's. My right side of the neck has no more red!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!!!! Rest of my back is falling into place really well now!!! Another WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Had my BP taken....110/70 WOW!!!!!!!!! I thought for sure it would be through the roof!!!!!!! So another WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Now if this weight was down..... LOL that is another story to work on!!!!!!! First of the year I WILL WORK ON IT FOR SURE!!!!!!

Today turned out to be nice here so I passed out all the newsletter for December and the Christmas cards!!! MY BACK IS SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention my feet!!! I can only imagine the tongues wagging about my new rule for the party to sign u***** GIFT!!!!!! And YES Connie I AM STICKING to it!!!!!!!! I can't turn people away from eating but I can on the gifts!!!!!!!!!!

As for Thanksgiving dinner...I was in tears at one point...NINE NOT signed that showed up to eat and no dish to pass...not even putting in the donations pot either!!!!!!!! And then one asked if she could fill TWO plates to take to some tenants...I told her I DO NOT CARE...BUT WAIT TIL THE ONES HERE EAT FIRST!!!!!!!! And it was said VERY sarcasticly!!!!! I was at my breaking point...one tenant...one of the nice ones asked me if I was ok...that is when I went into tears and walked away. WTH is WRONG with these JERKS??????? How were they raised??????? Then after the dinner was done one that was not signed, didn't bring a dish to pass or donate...filled a dish for her dam DOG!!!! Had turkey for him...I told her that turkey can cause pancreatic cancer in dogs...she said well he loves it so I am giving him some. Then she had the nerve to tell another tenant what I told her...she asked tenant if she believed me. WTH?????????? SIGHS......I give up trying to help these IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK off the ranting...

Wishing ALL of you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!

Thoughts and Prayers for ALL that need them!!!!!!!!!

HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

lightswitch
on 11/25/15 4:13 pm

Hey Ladies,

I am finally home from my travels down under. I am so tired and picked up a stomach virus but other than that, I had a wonderful time.  New Zealand and Australia are beautiful.  Staying on my diet was easy because I stayed right on the bay and fresh seafood was abundant.  Every day, I walked from my hotel to the university and back plus a little shopping and the walking app on my phone logged me as walking about 6 miles daily...to that I was pleased.  The people there were so friendly and I bought a ton of beautiful jade that is unique to NZ, some bog wood statues (bog wood is millions of years old and has been buried for thousands and some millions of years but once it is unearthed, it is like wood, not rock or petrified wood...so they carve these gorgeous little things with it...and I bought a ton of it.  

I see everyone is getting ready for tomorrow's feast and I have to tell you that while I am cooking up a storm in spite of my upset stomach and jet lag, I am happy that I don't feel like eating anything so maybe I won't be tempted to taste too much of the dressing and potatoes.  This year, I am making oyster dressing for DH and me and regular cornbread/turkey dressing for the rest of the family.

Well, I feel another wave of nausea hitting so I am going to stop thinking.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and I hope you survive the in laws and out laws and all the blood relatives....the holidays does make folks nuts. 

Patricia R.
on 11/26/15 7:59 am - Perry, MI

Welcome Home Jeannie,

Glad you had a good trip, and got home safely.  So sorry you are so sick.  Hope you feel better soon.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 378 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1177 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1184 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1122 views