Busy Saturday?

poegirl100
on 3/19/16 11:45 am - Cibolo, TX

Hi sistas!

Geez, where is everyone?  I guess this must be a busy Saturday.

I just popped on to read the posts, so I won't stay long.  I'm on a quest this afternoon to find a specific crape myrtle tree.  I want the one called Muskogee.  It's lilac (and y'all know how much I love purple!) and it's just the right size, height, color, etc., for my area in the back yard.  Plus it's rated very high for the weather here in South Texas.  I want it.  Having a hard time finding it, though.

This is what it looks like:

Yesterday I went to a nursery in a little town about 10 miles from here and I bought a Vitex tree and a fig tree.  Let me post a picture of a purple Vitex tree:

Isn't that a thing of beauty?  It's a summer bloomer and it thrives in full sun and heat.  Just my kind of tree!  

The landscaper is providing me with a Mountain Laurel tree.  It's also purple, but it blooms in the spring.  It smells like grapes!  

I am really indulging my love of purple, aren't I?  

The last tree I'm putting in is a Redbud tree:

It's really more fuschia than purple, but it's one of the first spring bloomers here, usually around the end of Feb, which is wonderful to see after dreary old winter!  But after it blooms, it's really not very pretty.  Still I want one for my back yard.

And then I will have my knock-out roses that will bloom almost year 'round here.  I think it will all be so pretty!

So, last night we had a horrible storm blow through.  High winds, hail, rain, etc.  They said on the six o'clock news that the storm would reach my area by 8 p.m.  I had to get out there and move all those knock-out roses into the garage!  OMG.  So many trips!  But they are safe and sound and blooming like crazy today (inside my garage! LOL!), so that's a good thing!

Sorry, I'm all about gardening today.  I'm so excited and it's been awhile since I've felt excited about much of anything.  

Well, last night I got my wish!  Carrie and the baby went over to Christie's house for a visit, and then that horrible storm blew through, so they just spent the night there.  Hooray!  I got to sleep all night in my own bed all by myself!  

And I was a little worried about how that appetite suppressant might affect my sleep, but it wasn't a problem at all.  I did just fine, except I had a headache.  Probably from not having a Coke--that caffeine withdrawal, you know?  Anyway, I slept all night and I got up feeling pretty darn good this morning.  I took a nice long walk (All By Myself!) and then a bubble bath and I was ready for the day.  I can certainly feel my metabolism revving up.  Don't know if it's from the LipoLean injection or the Bontril, but I'm definitely feeling much perkier.  And not very hungry at all.  

Well, I've stayed longer than I intended.  Got to go shop for my trees!  I'll check back in later tonight.  Love you all!

Vickie 

Connie D.
on 3/19/16 11:46 am

Hi Vickie....we posted at the same time...sorry!!

I will go and change mine if I can.

Love you...connie d

Connie D.
on 3/19/16 11:59 am, edited 3/19/16 4:57 am

Hello Vickie....your trees are exactly what I would have picked!! I love purple trees and flowers and also bright pink!! The ones you picked are gorgeous!!! I will pretend at least one is mine....LOL!!! I can't wait to see your roses...I think you said they were red...RED is my favorite all over color...not in trees though!!

I am so glad you were home and got those roses inside before the storm hit. You need to get a wagon for hauling things like that. I am glad no damage was done to your property or any of you!

I know how much you love Carrie and Caralee...but I also know how much you needed a good nights sleep...alone!

It sounds like one med or the other is working...good for you....I wish something would rev up my metabolism. Mine is practically gone!! 

Have a great afternoon tree shopping!!! Snuggle Caralee for me!!

Love you much....HUGS....connie d

yvonnef1964
on 3/19/16 1:06 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Hi Ladies,

I've been busy since I got up. I went to the hospital to see my friend that had triple bypass surgery and she looked rough. I stayed for an hour then she got more company so I left. Came home and had coffee and crystal light then I had lunch. I exercised today because I didn't do it Tuesday.  I'm making a brownie dessert with peanut butter oreo and Reese peanut butter cups for our church potluck tomorrow.  I hope it turns out okay.  This is the first time I made it.

At least it's sunny today but cold. That helps with my spirits. I'm finishing up my pot of coffee, tea and water now before I have supper. 

Vickie the trees are beautiful.  Glad you got a good night sleep. Have fun shopping.

Connie  I hope you can get over your fatigue soon. I glad gracie got a new puppy. I wish I could have an animal. I can have a cat here but can't afford to maintain one. Maybe if I ever get on section 8 , I could . I've been waiting 2 years now.

Everyone have a good day.  Thoughts and prayers for everyone.

Love and hugs,

Yvonne

Connie D.
on 3/19/16 1:52 pm

Hello Yvonne.....yes...Gracie is trilled with the new dog!!! 

I am sure your friend does look rough. That is quite a surgery to go through. I am surprised they allow her company this soon after her surgery. She needs a lot of rest. When I am in the hospital I give orders that no one is allowed to see me. I just want to rest and get well. I pray she has a quick recovery and no more heart attacks.

Your dessert sounds interesting. I am sure it will turn out just fine.

It is 37 degrees. It snowed most of yesterday and into the night last night. Most of it melted as it hit the ground and the rest melted this morning. We haven't had sunshine in at least a week. I am tired of dark and gloomy!!

Don't they have HUD housing in your area? The discount on rent is very much the same as section 8. Check it out if you can. 

Love you...HUGS....connie d

lightswitch
on 3/19/16 1:50 pm

Vic,

I have that same Cree Myrtle in my backyard. I've got two of the purple ones and one white one.  Well, that yard is my daughter's yard now. LOL.   I still pay a man to come trim  them because if they are not trimmed just right, they start growing really large and they do become very unattractive.

I am so happy you had your bed to yourself...that is wonderful. I hope you get your entire house back so you can have places where you can relax...you know?

lightswitch
on 3/19/16 2:09 pm

Ladies,

I have to tell you all the talk of planting has made me question my choice to abandon my little patio garden.  My DH got me a beautiful miniature rosebush for Valentine's Day and he thought that it would grow in the pot and would make me miss my roses less.  When I moved up to NWA, my daughter inherited my house or small farm, really.  And, at first I thought she would kill off all of the plants that I had collected through the years....my rose garden, my iris beds, the beautiful tulips and so on but she has surprised me and has even added to the various plants.  So, when I realized that the miniature rose bush was not really meant to be kept in an apartment or a pot, I took it to her and she planted it with the yellow roses...I thought she should have planted it next to her beautiful white bush but I think that pink and those yellow roses are going to be gorgeous next to each other.

We didn't go get the kids last night because DH's gallstones, the ultrasound revealed, are not alone...he has a huge kidney stone and it's so large that he won't be able to pass it on his own so when he goes in next week to have the gallbladder removed, they are going to surgically remove the stone. Of course, yesterday, with all the pushing on his abdomen, the gallbladder and the kidney stones began acting up and he wasn't feeling up to driving down the mountain.  But, we did try to go out to eat and the pain hit him and I thought  he had gone into labor. Guys, I had the waiter put our food in containers and the hostess helped me get him out to the car and I gave him his pain pill and it did nothing; I got him home and my neighbors helped me get him in the house and I gave him two of my pain pills and a Xanax and nothing.  For two hours he was miserable so I loaded him up and headed to the ER and they gave him morphine and another drug and sent us home with pills of those injectable drugs.  So, around midnight, he finally went to sleep....then again at 2, he woke me up in so much pain...I feel so bad for him so today, I called his doctor and he said, keep him sedated, make sure he drinks water, and make sure he is moving around, but don't hold back on the pain meds. So, DH is out again. I am going to get him up in a bit to eat some vegetable broth and jello and rush him in the shower and then medicate him again. 

Ladies, I am making spaghetti squash tonight. I am addicted to this type of squash. When I first tired it, I have to admit I thought well, it's sort of tasteless but then I learned that the key to successfully using this as a pasta is how you season it...and it is so damn fun to shred into pasta pieces. I made some small vegetable balls (don't laugh) out of mushrooms, tofu, spinach, and onions and tonight, I am making vegetable meatballs with squash pasta. LOL...you cannot get any more vegan than that; although, I am actually putting butter and cheese on mine...cause you know...a woman needs her vices.

Well, I better get off here...I hope you all have a good day and I second the words of Vic to Judy...girllll when the men who work under you come in and have nothing to do, make them do something...sweeping or mopping are good ways to make sure that they stay busy. I've been in management for more years than I wish to remember and I found out, over the years, that once you remove the gap between boss and employee, you are setting yourself up to be taken advantage of. I'm not saying all employees are like that because I certainly am friends with my deans but not all people can be friends or friendly with the boss without thinking they have the upper hand. I know you like that he a hard worker so strategize your initiatives to reinforce that behavior instead of giving him the notion that there are perks to being friendly to the boss...I can sit and hang out.  There will come a time when you don't need him under your feet and then you are stuck with that behavior unless you pull rank and then he can get all pissed off and hold it against you to the tune of not doing his work.  

I will catch you chicks later.

Connie D.
on 3/19/16 3:41 pm

Hello Jeannie....just a quick check in....I saw your post and wanted to say hello!!

Your husband sounds like he is in horrible pain. I hope you can keep him sedated. I can't believe they aren't doing emergency surgery at this time. I had horrible pain with my gallbladder and I had a kidney stone when I was pregnant with my first daughter. I remember that pain!!!! Maybe that is why I didn't think labor was so bad!! I hope he gets some relief soon!!!

I love, love, love spaghetti squash!!!! The dish you made sounds really good!!!

I agree with you....employees can't be your friends. It just doesn't work. I had many years of being in management. It is a huge mistake to try to do that. They will take advantage of your friendship. 

Have a good night...love you...hugs....connie d

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 371 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1169 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1177 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1117 views