My journalism journey part 25

Eileen Briesch
on 10/3/16 12:38 am - Evansville, IN

One of the fun parts of my job for many years was going to cover tournaments. I loved being on the road was I was younger. Two of the best ones I got to cover were the national NAIA tourneys in which the Northern State University men and women got to play. Unfortunately, both the ones I covered they didn't win. But they still were exciting.

I***** I hit the road (or the skies, actually) along with photographer John Davis to travel to Nampa, Idaho, to report on the Northern State University men's basketball team while they played in the NAIA Division II men's national championship tournament. I had covered many a state tournament, but this was as big as it got for me.

Davis and I flew out of the Aberdeen airport to Boise, Idaho, picked up a rental car and head to Nampa, Idaho, about a half-hour drive. Davis was a nice guy, but very devoted to his family. The entire time we were in Nampa, he lamented that while we were dining out on the company dime, his kids were eating mac and cheese and hot dogs (hey, they probably enjoyed that).

We stayed at a Super 8 in Nampa, right across the street from the NSU team, which was sheer luck. It made it so easy for me to corral the head coach, Bob Olson, and any players. There was also a Denny's, so many nights after games, while Davis was getting film developed at the local one-hour shop (it was easier than processing his own film; and again, this was before digital cameras), I was stuck with no way to get to a place to eat. So after writing my stories, I'd walk across the street to Denny's for food. It was when I got sick of Denny's for a long, long time.

These were the days of Eric Kline, the Boekelheide twins, big Kevin Burckhard, young Lance Luitjens. A fun, exciting team to watch. Lots of shooting, scoring. I can't remember the scores of all the games, but I think most of them were close. And I do know the championship game went to overtime, as Eureka College of Eureka, Illinois, won 98-95.

Chad Boeklheide's buzzer-beating shot to force another overtime period bounced off the front of the rim. The Eureka coach, Dave Darnell, retired after that game, leaving at the top of his game. The next day at the airport, he carried the trophy through the metal detector rather than pack it in his luggage. No way was he going to chance losing that piece of hardware.

The people running the tourney at Nampa did a first-class job. Again, let's talk about the food. Lots of tourneys provide coffee, water, pop and maybe some cookies for the press. That's great; you usually don't expect much more. But Nampa went all out.

There was food for lunch; sometimes it was pizza, sometimes it was build your own tacos. Of course, cookies and beverages were provided. More food was put out in the evening for dinner: pizza, fried chicken, nachos, and egg rolls - lots of other edibles. Sweets such as brownies, pie, cake, ice cream. Munchies such as popcorn, potato chips, tortilla chips and salsa. You could eat there all day and not even use your expense account.

But hey, there was an expense account for meals, so why not use it? So of course, Davis and I went out for our share of repasts, at which he worried about what his children were eating (or not eating).

In 1995, I was sent to cover the NSU women in Willamette, Oregon. The Wolves had won the NAIA Division II championships in 1992 and 1994, taking second in 1993. These were the heydays of Julie Jensen and her Langford running mate Paula Stolsmark, joined by Northwestern's Chris Swanhorst. What a fun team they were to watch.

I believe we didn't send anyone to cover them in 1992, doing the coverage by radio that year. The paper caught flack for that, so in 1993 and 1994, we sent a reporter and photographer. In 1995, the paper did it again, and that year, I got the assignment, with Dick Carlson taking the photos.

NSU's sports information director was Deb Smith, and she was going out, so we shared a room, thus cutting costs for the paper. Deb and I always got along well, so there was no problem sharing a room. She later took a job at the paper when one opened up.

The Northern women were marching toward another NAIA title when they ran into a buzz saw, the Western Oregon women, the host school. It was in the semifinals, and the game came down to a final shot or a late play. I remember a lot from that game but I don't remember the score. I remember nearly get stepped on by fans climbing over the press benches on the sideline. I had to duck and cover my head.

My lead for that story emphasized the rain outside, comparing it to the tears of the Northern players and their fans. I do believe it was one of my better leads (I wish I could find the story, but in so many moves around the country, I had to lighten my load and get rid of some of my clips).

Because of the loss, Carlson and I decided to leave a day earlier. I do believe this is the year I had flown out of Rapid City so I could get back to cover the state Class AA boys' basketball tournament. The extra day gave me a chance to wrap up the women's season, write a state preview and do a column, too. And just relax before seeing more basketball.

I would see bouncing balls in my dreams for a while. I did enjoy basketball, but by the end of March? I was ready for baseball. But other than the college team, we didn't have much baseball to cover.

After the 1995 season, the Wolves and their conference, the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, moved over to NCAA Division II. I got one more road trip, this one to a regional tournament to cover the men's team in Evansville, Indiana.

It would turn out to be prophetic as I would end my journey in this Southwestern Indiana city.

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 393 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1197 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1206 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!