Tons of Common plastic surgery Q and A 's

DrL
on 4/9/11 6:52 am - Houston, TX

About 306 common questions from patients answered (and growing !) plus photos and reviews.   Answers from many other doctors too in every state, all baord-certified !

Click under my photo where it says "306 Answers"

http://www.realself.com/find/Texas/Houston/Plastic-Surgeon/J ohn-LoMonaco#QA

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
cyndi U.
on 4/11/11 1:21 am - forney, TX
Dr. L,
I'm having surgery soon thru the residency program @ Baylor/Houston.  On their list of meds to avoid before surgery is Vit. C, but everything I read says to take Vit. C.  What is your opinion?

Cyndi U
Gastric Bypass, Dr. Daniel Jones, Dallas, 2003
LBL, Lipo, Butt Aug, Full Thigh Lift, hernia repair - 5/5/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Echo & Dr. Bullocks
BL/BA, brachioplasty - 8/26/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Lee & Dr. Bullocks

Renee2007
on 4/12/11 6:17 am, edited 4/12/11 6:27 am - Central, FL
 I was also informed to stop my vit C. I think it has something to do with the possibility of increased bleeding.

*I just Googled it and it states it can act like an anti-coagulant similar to aspirin.*

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

DrL
on 4/12/11 3:05 pm - Houston, TX
Hi. ANY vitamin in megadoses can be a problem but 500 -1000mg of Vit C (along with some zinc) may aid collagen (scar) formation and help prevent widened scars.

Always check with your doc ahead of time though.  I too stop Vitamin E but it is more a theroetical risk than a reality.

What should be done on every WLS patient and often is not is an anemia workup including TIBC, transferrin, Iron, and % sat. levels.  That can have a definite negative effect on surgery, healing, and overall recobery AND  it's a common condition.  Sometimes there is anemia or very low iron stores even with a normal basic blood count.

You have to look for it, knowing that certain patient populations are at higher risk.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Crazeru
on 4/12/11 5:25 am
Cyndi,
Dr Sauceda had us stop Vit E 15 days prior to surgery.  Nothing about Vit C though.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

cyndi U.
on 4/12/11 10:08 am - forney, TX
That's what is so confusing!  And I just ordered the VitaMedica vitamins.  They have Vit C in them tho, I thought this would be good to take, but now I'm wondering!

Cyndi U
LBL, Lipo, Butt Aug, Full Thigh Lift, hernia repair - 5/5/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Echo & Dr. Bullocks
BL/BA, brachioplasty - 8/26/11, Baylor Houston Residency Program - Dr. Lee & Dr. Bullocks

DrL
on 4/12/11 3:09 pm - Houston, TX
I provide VitaMedica for all my surgery patients having the bigger procedures like TT or LBL unless they are already doing their own home program. Many are not  !

Really like the way they balance the AM and PM formulas, and pump up the water-soluble B family (esp B12...5000% RDA ) because that';s exactly what's needed after surgery when you may have decreased appetite.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
cyndi U.
on 4/12/11 9:23 pm - forney, TX
cyndi U.
on 4/12/11 9:30 pm, edited 4/12/11 9:32 pm - forney, TX
So you don't think the Vit C in the VitaMedica vitamins is a problem?  I've had my bloodwork followed very closely & all is good.  Was low in my iron supply but it is back in the normal range now thanks to checking it far enough ahead of time.  I am diabetic & just want to be sure I'm in the best health possible for the LBL/lipo/thigh lift, now only 3 weeks away!  Hey!  you could even come help Dr. Ecko on 5/5 if you'd like!!!!!   Just kidding!

Thanks for always being so supportive to this group & clarifying confusing issues for us!

Cyndi U

laurak712
on 4/13/11 6:56 am - New Braunfels, TX
Cyndi, Dr. L provided VitaMedica for me even though I do take Bariatric Advantage vitamins.  He had me switch out a week or two ahead of time.  And I continued on them till I used them all up.  Then I went back to my regular BA vites.

Laura

Height 5' 7

Most Active