Panni/hernia repair 7/6, and I'm nervous!

Betty S.
on 6/21/11 7:18 am - Mesa, AZ

I have a big ole' hernia that has to be repaired, another one to 're'-repair- the mesh moved off the hernia repair from last year. 
The surgeon called in a plastic surgeon to do a down and dirty panni- no belly button, nothing fancy.  I liken it to saran wrap being pulled and cut, but it's my bod.

The nervewracking part is that I will be in the hospital 3-5 DAYS!!!  I had an open RNY in 2009, and was only inpatient 2 nights! 

I know I'll have 2-3 drains, which is no real big deal, just more annoying in the shower later on.  I have been reading a lot of your posts, and decided to get some mens boxer shorts to protect my modesty, and to have something to pin the drains to. 

It is just a bikini line incision, but he is cutting the muscles on my sides (the 'tickle' area) and pulling them into the middle, so a lot of pain is thought to be happening mid-line.

input please:  if I'm inpatient for so many days, I'm thinking that I don't need 24/7 care when I get home.  My boyfriend works, but will be around otherwise.  I know I'll have a binder.  My sister would have to fly down, and that is SO expensive right now.

I'm thinking about walkers and toilet seats after reading posts here, though.  I have a recliner, and plan to camp out in it most of the time.

Why did I go to my RNY all excited, but am a nervous nellie now?  oh yeah...iv's.  Coughing.  Getting up and down, and walking with tubes all over the place.  hospital gowns.  feeling drugged and slow.  That stupid, helpless feeling.

If this hernia didn't hurt so bad, I'd chicken out.  Anybody else been through this?  I need a hug.

siberiancat
on 6/21/11 8:09 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
My plastics (fleur de lis tummy tuck and brachioplasty) are different than what you are having BUT have  you asked about having a "pain pump"?  They provide continuous pain relief for 3 days (mine lasted for 4 days).  You can still take other pain meds but is really helpful if you have "muscle" work done.

I use a mans sleeveless tee shirt under my binder.  It is more comfortable.  Get a larger size since you will probably have dressings and swelling.

Bring a small pillow to hold at your belly while walking and put it between your belly & the seat belt for the trip home.

Make sure shoes are slip on.

Use pain meds. They help you to take deep breaths (to prevent pneumonia), help you move more, sleep better, etc.

You might up your protein consumption pre op and continue post op to help with healing.  Eat healthy, take all vitamins &  supplements.  Get as physically fit as you can - it will help with recovery.

Best wishes. 
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Betty S.
on 6/22/11 5:35 am - Mesa, AZ
thanks, Penny!  I went to Ross and bought some wifebeaters to wear under the binder, and new slippers. I'm working on some leg strengthening...can't do much for the belly, because my insides keep poking out.

Jobsies
on 6/21/11 9:36 pm - Pitman, NJ
I was just as nervous...but no reason whatsoever. I had surgery on Thursday, June 9th. Went to stay with Sis on Saturday. By Monday she and hubby were at work...I was bored stiff, so with ok of Doc, walked down to the school where my friend works and actually helped her organize things for her classroom (all sitting down). By Wednesday, I had stopped into my H&r block district office to check on off season work, went to bible study and went back home. I would have went home sooner, but stayed to chill my Sis.

This recovery was so much easier than my sleeve...but I think it's due to all the exercise I do. With me sleeve I was a good 4-6 weeks in the recliner, couldn't bend over to put shoes on etc....

The swellings a pain, but really recovery was nowhere near as bad as I expected!!!!

Good luck to you!

14 pounds lost before surgery. My first ticker is when I hit onderland: this was my goal when I started on this journey.  I want to focus on that right now...once I get there I can reevaluate.

My second ticker is my dream goal. Even if I only visit there for a short time, it would be nice to see that number just once.  I am pretty sure I'll need plastics to hit this goal.

Betty S.
on 6/22/11 5:38 am - Mesa, AZ
that makes me feel so much better!  I'm in much better shape now, too- at least I don't have to do those lovanox injections this time.  It's the long hospital stay that makes my antenna go up.

Most Active