did you eat a specific diet after surgery?

Nicole T.
on 9/8/11 10:15 pm
hi i am wondering if their are certain ways of eating after surgery to get healing to happen quicker. maybe even using protein shakes? thanks :)
mkbeany
on 9/9/11 12:43 am
Hi Nicole. We can live on protein stores for a while.
It is important to eat well looong before surgery.
The surgery is a tremendous insult.

Since my RNY 22 months ago, I have remained supplemented and hydrated.
I am an absolute fanatic.
(it is the nurse in me.)
I log every bite in Sparkpeople and review my numbers.
I never go to bed with less than 100 gms of protein.

So, after surgery (almost 3 weeks ago) I was so queasy and puny, I didn't panic.
But I choked down drinks and bars.
After a week or so, my appetite returned and I am holding fast at 100-125 grams a day.

The biggest gift we can give ourselves in this journey is to prepare our bodies.
Because after...our bodies become hypermetabolic just trying to "right" themselves after the surgery, anesthesia, blood loss...the whole bit.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Nicole T.
on 9/9/11 12:53 am
yea i plan on being fanatic a couple months before. i still have weight to lose so i gotta get back on trac****ep falling off. but i really want to get this done. looking like a charpei is starting to get old.
Still Fawn
on 9/9/11 12:48 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Hey Nicole! I wanted to up my protein, so I switched to celebrate ens shakes after my TT.. Made it easy to get 50g of protein and all my vitamins in with only two 8oz drinks. I also drank a protein caramel machiatto daily. I just could barely eat real food the first few weeks. Lots of people need to avoid salt post op, for swelling, but when I tried that it made my blood pressure drop looooow. Depends of if you are salt sensitive..

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

prek-3
on 9/9/11 5:09 am - Hollywood, FL
Upp the protien as with surgery your body is under stress. Any time you are under stressful conditions besides surgical ones we actually need more protien in our diets wls or no wls.

My first 2 meals were protie drinks, I would add a high fiber cereal to my drinks, as you tend to become constipated with the narcotics. You do not want to be straining bearing down. I had a bowel movement 3 days after surgery. I usually aim and tend to eat 25 grams of fiber a day.

Also colase for a stool softener 3x a day until BMs are normal

Prek 3
Carmen

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

philliesphan
on 9/9/11 6:07 am
I would follow the same guidelines as before and after WLS.  I also record what I eat thru Bodybugg and shoot for a minimum of 100 gms of protein a day.  Spark People and Fitday are both free programs that a lot of people use.  Good luck!!!

(-32 before RNY)                                 GOAL !

Lizzy25
on 9/9/11 8:45 am
I had breast lift/augmentation yesterday. I had all of my healthy food laid out and prepared, stuff like steamed broccoli, turkey, apple slices, protein drinks, etc.

But boy, when I got home from the surgery I couldn't even hold down a sip of broth. I was vomiting up absolutely everything. My brother microwaved some pasta and the smell alone made me heave. I figured out it was the percocet that was making me so sick, and switched to a different pain med which helped me stop throwing up. But right now I'm at the point where I don't even care what I'm eating, as long as it stays in my stomach. I can handle ritz crackers, toast, and creamed corn. That's it. I figure it's more important to just get calories, any calories, than to try to choke down things that will just make me throw up again. And yes, I'm taking zofran, a very powerful anti-nausea drug. Tomorrow I'm going to get back on the wagon with protein. But right now my primary concern is to keep from throwing up, and eat some calories.
"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." -Bertrand Russell
5'9 HW: 297 GW: 160 CW: 161
Crazeru
on 9/9/11 9:28 am
I up'd my protein to 175-200g for a month before surgery and 3+mo after.  I used protein drinks, and bullets.  The first week out, I was too swollen to eat much plus the compression garment made it tough.  So I really  needed to add in the shakes and bullets.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Lee ~
on 9/11/11 2:23 am - CA
Chris, did you gain weight pre ps from adding in all that protein?  I'm trying to lose weight and I'm afraid that if I start upping my protein my calories will go up over 1000 and I'll gain weight instead of losing.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Crazeru
on 9/11/11 3:19 pm
Hi Lee,
No, I didn't gain any weight before surgery.  I was adding in protein drinks (eggwhite protein), can't do whey shakes.  

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active