Should I stay overnight after Tummy Tuck? Are they trying to get more money?

Laila M.
on 9/26/11 12:01 pm - Dallas, TX
Ok, today I went to see my surgeon for my 2nd consult(first time was with assistant)well...he saw my flab (skin) and recommended a body lift to get rid of the extra skin on my sides....I told him I can't afford that procedure...so I decided to go with the tummy tuck only...he says I will still have my sides of excess skin but, I will have a flat abdomen...that's my main concern anyway...I can deal with the back fat...it's not that bad..well, they also recommended for me to stay overnight...for an extra $750 I don't have $750 laying around...what do you guys think? Should I stay overnight? My husband will take good care of me at home...I have no worries in that area. Well, I am just debating...suggestions please!!
babyface12
on 9/26/11 12:27 pm
I was an outpatient and My brother in law and 14 and 12 year old daughter were a great help!!  It was painful for the first 4 days at times it seems unbearable if you do not stay on meds consistently.  But it is very managable. You will need a side table by the chair that u may sleeping for the first couple of days and need help getting up.  But as long as you plan ahead it is very doable!
mom_to_4boyz
on 9/26/11 12:46 pm - CA
i didnt stay overnight, i went in at 8 a.m. i was awake for my whole procedure. i had a full tummy tuck and went home after. that was sept 7th, i had a follow up 48 hours later and all was great, my dr even gave me his home phone # incase i had any problems. so far so good, i should get the last few stitches out this week. i couldnt have done it without my husbands constant help, i was pretty much helpless for the first few days

karma-4.jpg picture by keiratoutsupermomwifewomantired.jpg picture by keiratout     I'm a shorty at almost 5'3"

jessicam
on 9/26/11 1:42 pm - Albuquerque, NM
I stayed overnight but I would have been just fine if I would have gone home. All they did was wake me up every four hours for bp check and give me meds.

waitinggame
on 9/26/11 2:58 pm - Bowie, MD
Hi. Congrats on your weight loss and upcoming surgery. I wouldn't think it is an attempt to get extra money since that will go directly to the hospital. I had a breast lift and lower body lift. I was actually glad I was there overnight. I could NOT have gone home any sooner than I did. Barely made it out that next day. I had some issues with low blood pressure though and that may have played into it. I nearly passed out the first time they got me up to walk and that scared me a lot thinking of being at home and have that happen. Hopefully you will be without complications and from the sounds of the other posters you could do without the overnight. I also should say my overnight was half the cost of yours.

Good luck to you!!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

philliesphan
on 9/26/11 9:03 pm
Hi - Exciting time for you !!!  I had the TT and LBL (same time) in the hospital... was supposed to stay overnight but ended up staying 2, also b/c of low blood pressure.  The abdominal pain was horrific so I was glad to be laying in an adjustable bed w/ catheter so I didn't have to get up evry 5 minutes to go to the bathroom.  It was expensive but worth it - of course it's easier to say that now that it's paid for!  Good luck in whatever you decide.

(-32 before RNY)                                 GOAL !

waitinggame
on 9/26/11 10:50 pm - Bowie, MD
The catheter!!! That was a life saver, especially since they were pumping me with extra fluids to help with the low blood pressure. My stay was also 23 hours. Not sure if they called it outpatient or not.

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

aubiefan143
on 9/26/11 10:06 pm - herndon , VA
RNY on 01/26/10 with
I would double check with your Dr (or hospital) about this, but my Dr said my surgery (TT and Thigh lift) will be considered outpatient surgery, but I can stay overnight up to 23 hours in the hospital.

Penny
Highest weight 275 
Surgery weight 241
Goal weight 145
Current
  weight 143 (after TT and Thigh lift)   

philliesphan
on 9/26/11 10:20 pm
Yes - That's what mine was too (how quickly we forget lol...) - the 23 hour stay was technically considered outpatient.  I didn't mind staying the extra day though - I wish I could have stayed longer lol... (NOT)

(-32 before RNY)                                 GOAL !

alla B.
on 9/27/11 12:50 am

I stayed in hospital 3 nights, but my TT was covered by insurance and boy, what is difference those 3 nights made!

i could not move next day, it was so painful. i am too was so glad for catheter and pain pump!

but 3rd  day was much better.

you should stay in hospital as long as you can.

alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

Most Active