putting out feelers

caralikesglass
on 10/10/11 3:24 pm
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not new to OH.
From my heaviest weight, I have lost about 135 pounds, and i have 28 to go. I have been thinking (in a very general way) about plastic surgery. Cost, impact it will have on my life, etc. May I pick your brains for some information?
1) I have Kaiser. I don't expect a whole body lift to be covered, or anything like that, but is there at least partial coverage for a select few procedures? Do they refer you to a plastic surgeon? I am in So Ca, by the way, so anyone who has experience with Kaiser in So Ca with plastics, your imput/experience is greatly appreciated.
2) Did anyone here get everything done at once, or is it better to do it in stages?
3) What kind of pain relief measures do they offer you? Do you feel that your pain is well managed? 
4) How long were you at goal weight before you had plastic surgery?
Any advice or constructive observations are most welcome and apprciated.
My problem areas are my upper arms, tummy, thighs, and boobs. 

Highest Weight: 317 Surgery Weight: 268 Current Weight: 179.7  

Lee ~
on 10/10/11 11:46 pm - CA

Welcome!

I have N. Ca. Kaiser and they don't cover anything.  They consider it all cosmetic up here.  I've decided to go to Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico (he has a group on OH) and have everything done at once.  He uses twilight sleep, so can operate longer.  I'm having body work, then a facelift 3-4 days later.  Others have done that and shared their experiences on his group page.  I've been within 10 pounds of what I weigh now for around 6 months.  I'm still trying to shed a few pounds prior to surgery in December.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Jujuvee
on 10/11/11 12:49 am
Hi. I am a lapbander about 2 1/2 years out. I am  a self pay plastics scheduled for a circumfferential lift and brachioplasty (arms) with one nights stay in the hospital
10.000.21. I will be doing my pre op bloodwork, chest xray and ekg on friday and some of that may be self pay as well. I'm 5'10, 215 pounds and am trying to get to 199 before surgery. if it happens great if not that's ok as well, honestly I am ready to stop losing and maintain.

Phase 2.. whenever I can afford it will be. Thighplasty and implants also with a one  nights stay @ 12.758.00

This is a great site with lots of wisdom!
Goog luck.

HW 405- Pre op weight 374- Plastics weight 203 Current weight 194

Circumferential lift/Brachioplasty November 8, 2011

16.3 pounds removed.

Revisions + Thighplasty  October 23, 2012

Breast lift- Spring 2013

waitinggame
on 10/11/11 11:33 am - Bowie, MD
On October 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM Pacific Time, caralikesglass wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not new to OH.
From my heaviest weight, I have lost about 135 pounds, and i have 28 to go. I have been thinking (in a very general way) about plastic surgery. Cost, impact it will have on my life, etc. May I pick your brains for some information?
1) I have Kaiser. I don't expect a whole body lift to be covered, or anything like that, but is there at least partial coverage for a select few procedures? Do they refer you to a plastic surgeon? I am in So Ca, by the way, so anyone who has experience with Kaiser in So Ca with plastics, your imput/experience is greatly appreciated.
2) Did anyone here get everything done at once, or is it better to do it in stages?
3) What kind of pain relief measures do they offer you? Do you feel that your pain is well managed? 
4) How long were you at goal weight before you had plastic surgery?
Any advice or constructive observations are most welcome and apprciated.
My problem areas are my upper arms, tummy, thighs, and boobs. 
Hi! I'm a newbie here. Just had my lower body lift, breast lift, and augmentation 3-1/2 weeks ago. I don't have Kaiser, so no help there.

As I mentioned, I had quite a lot done at once. It was just not an option in my life to stage it. I did choose a surgeon who was very comfortable doing it that way. One of the surgeons I met with flat out told me he did not have the skill set to operate fast enough for it to be safe. I appreciated the honesty, but needed to go with the surgeon who was capable of getting me done all at once.
I do not handle straight morphine well, but that would have been offered had I been able to take it. I felt my pain was managed well. Frankly, I already barely remember the time in hospital. My surgeon was very willing to work with me on the meds.They started with Lortab and that wasn't enough so he gave me injectable Dilaudid. For home he normally gave patients the lower dose of Vicodin, but as soon as he realized I wouldn't be well managed on that, he gave me Dilaudid to take home.  They were very emphatic that your pain needs to be well controlled to heal well. I couldn't agree more!! :)

I actually didn't hit my goal weight. I maintained a 140 pound weight loss for about 18 months before I had the surgery. I was 40 pounds over my bypass surgeon's goal, but my plastic surgeon was very willing to move ahead with the understanding that there may be some limits to what he could do given my extra weight. So far, so good. I have lost 13 pounds since surgery, and that was weighing while I'm still swollen. My surgeon expects I'll lose at least another 10 pounds and that wil put me only about 15 pounds over my bypass surgeon's goal.

Good luck to you in your process. Read, research, and research some more!!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

proudauntie
on 10/12/11 11:32 am - Honolulu, HI
I have Kaiser in Honolulu.  Kaiser here has a separate department that is self pay for plastic surgeries, laser treatments, etc.  I've had seven plastic surgery procedures (four surgeries) at Kaiser and am very happy with the results.  The cost was about half of what was quoted by other plastic surgeons in the areas.  And if something were to have gone wrong, I'd already be at Kaiser.  Whoever you decide on for your surgeon will be tell you what procedures they're willing to do at the same time. 
Most Active