Brachioplasty on top of TT - IS IT WORTH IT???

Thundergrrrl
on 10/15/11 11:15 pm
Hi everyone,

I am hoping for some advice from those who have done this before.

Going into everything, I knew my tummy was the problem area. The part that I would never be happy if I couldn't deal with. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a tummy tuck without much problem. Sure, it's money I could use on something else but this will be life changing for me as much or even more so than my lap band surgery was.  So it's a no brainer.

The question comes in with a somewhat lesser issue - my arms.  I am young (27) but been obese my whole life til lapband surgery. My arms are not "that bad" but they are definitely flappity in the tricep even though there is some obvious muscle definition on the bicep and other areas. It bothers me a bit. I'd like to get rid of it if I could. But I'm not sure I want another surgery in the future. So the choices are pretty much do it with my TT or never do it.

I thought the price would be significantly better if I combined them but it doesn't seem to be the case.  My surgeon's TT rate is really competitive but when I asked about adding in the brachioplasty, it's MORE than the price of the TT!! First question...is that normal? 

They are looking to see if they can get it a little less since the hospital rates just increased but still, we're looking at the different from just under 7K to probably 11-12K.  To me that's a huge difference and it would be quite a stretch to afford, including taking on longterm payments unless I can get family to loan me the money.

So, I guess I just want to know from those who have had both, was it worth it? If you thought about having both and didn't, did you later regret not getting the arms done at the same time? 

Any opinions please...

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Amy Smith
on 10/16/11 6:22 am
I think I was in a similar place as my arms are not terrible, but they could definately be helped.  I was fortunate...when insurance said that the panni could be covered I was then able to add my arms.

As far as the cost, I already had 6 hours of surgery with my TT so we could not add more into that surgery.  I had it an a surgicenter (2 hours surgery).  THe surgeon fee was 2300 and the hospital 1250. 

In hind sight I am glad I did it.  Others have noticed (my friends and family), but I am having a hard time seeing a big difference.  I have also had TT and medial thigh lift.  I know things are better, but I am feeling very heavy right now. 

Sorry, I don't have a real answer for you, but some more to think about.
PBJ
on 10/16/11 6:37 am
Did your insurance cover your TT?  How did you get it to cover that?  I am having mine in Jan and I totally self pay...just curious!

Thanks
Patty

PS..do you know how much your TT was?
My weight loss journey                                                    
Amy Smith
on 10/16/11 8:15 am
I had letters of medical necessity for. Pre-authorization,but bcbs never has asked for those letters. I do have a fairly good relationship with my insurance case worker from when I had severe complications post bypass. They did not cover the entire procedure but the panni part. If I had paid for the abdominoplasty (with hospital stay) it would've been like 3000 dollars or the surgeon fee plus 1400 for hospital plus 150 for the overnight. Insurance should pay for (they have paid the surgeon, anethesialogist, but not the or and overnight yet as it says they are waiting for proper documentation from the hospital) 2.5 hours in or (1400$) and all of surgeon fee except 800$ for above the belly button.
L. Rios
on 10/17/11 7:16 am - Springfield, MO
My insurance paid for my TT and my arms.  I loooovvveee my new arms.  Mine were very flabby, it also lifted my breast.  I had the surgeon go on down my arm pits to get the "side boobs" and it ended up lifting them as well.  Another bonus, with him going farther down, I now have no arm pit hair and haven't had to wear deoderant in a year. My scars look great.  Its been a year in Sept.  I had my TT in July a coupld months before my arms.  Good luck! :D BWT  the arms were by far more painful, just fyi
Laura in Texas
on 10/17/11 8:16 am
OMG, I would not have survived mentally if I did not get my arms done. I got them done first and the cost was $3900. Arms seem to run on average from 3-6K. I absolutely love my arms and get lots of compliments on them. Best money spent by far. The rest I hid well with shapewear until I could get it fixed, too.

If you cannot afford your arms now, do them later.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Thundergrrrl
on 10/17/11 8:34 am
Thanks. The price I've been quoted for the arms is *more* than the 6600 for my TT so I'm thinking definitely not to do them now just on the basis of cost alone. Then if I can afford it in the future, I can pay the average...between 3-6K for them with a different surgeon (going to a surgeon who is a family member this time around and for the TT price it makes a lot of sense.) My arms don't bother me that much. Quite the opposite from you. My abdomen is the wost, there's no way to hide it, the fat and skin is resistant to any more weight loss or toning or anything. It HAS to go.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Most Active