pain pump??

PBJ
on 10/16/11 10:28 pm
I am wanting to be as comfortable as possible after my TT in Jan...my doc will use the pain pump only if that is what I really want.  So I am wondering if people had one or not with PS..and their comfort (or not horrible pain) level was?  I am thinking I want the pump...I don't want lots of pain and I had one with my sleeve and it was great.  WOuld love to hear about others expereinces.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Lee ~
on 10/16/11 11:37 pm - CA
I had a pain pump for the day I stayed in Kaiser post-op from my Sleeve.  I too loved it.  I'm not into pain at all.  In Mexico, I'll be at the clinic for several days as I have two procedures, 3 days apart.  I know that Dr. Sauceda can't give patients anything narcotic when they leave the clinic, so people take their own pain pills for the hotel stay.  I think I'll be happy receiving the stronger meds while in the clinic.  I will ask my PCP for something to take post-op when I'm out of the clinic.  Hopefully I won't need much but I'm not afraid to take it if I need it.  I figure that being in less pain will help with recovery.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

PBJ
on 10/17/11 10:58 am
Hi Lee,

How come Dr. S can't give you any pain pill prescriptions after you leave the clinic?  It is because you don't need a prescription in Mexico?  Will  your PCP help out?

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Lee ~
on 10/17/11 1:03 pm - CA
I don't know.  I started a topic over in Dr. S's group to try to figure this out.  I haven't talked to my PCP yet.  I guess I should make an appt. soon or else email her.  I did speak with the plastic surgeon at Kaiser who told me not to worry about follow up care, that Kaiser would do it.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

waitinggame
on 10/16/11 11:54 pm - Bowie, MD
I had one too. I'm with Lee. I say get it. My motto--no pain, no pain!! LOL. I didn't have anything to compare it too, but I have to believe it helped me. I didn't notice the searing pain when I coughed like I did once it was out. I'm very frugal and I handed over the money in a hot second for the pump. I know there are differing opinons about it, but the physiology of it makes me believe they work as stated and I know when my husband had one for his ankle surgery it was a life saver.

Good luck with your surgery!!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

proudauntie
on 10/17/11 10:41 am - Honolulu, HI
I had one that lasted four days and I was uncomfortable but not in any pain. 
rachelmaine
on 10/18/11 9:47 am
 I didn't have a pain pump.  The combination of Valium as a muscle relaxant and Percocet for pain was very helpful for pain.  I was much more comfortable taking meds that I had used before and knew wouldn't make me sick then taking a chance on a pain pump again.  I had a pain pump before and had nasty nausea because of it, so that made it a no brainer for me.  I have to say that my TT surgery is the very first surgery I have ever had that didn't result in making me sick.  
I say go with whatever makes you most comfortable.  Afterall, it's all about you!  :)

lbaetz
on 10/19/11 12:01 am - St. Thomas, Canada
I had a pain pump for 3 days after my LBL and I gotta say I quite enjoyed it...lol  Be sure to ask for stool softeners though.  After the pump I was on 2 T3's every 6 hours.

Lori

Most Active