Flex Spending Accounts used for Plastics?

whalechickie
on 11/1/11 8:07 am - Council Bluffs, IA
Some advice needed on paying for plastics, please. I have a few consults set up in the next couple weeks for lower body lift/hernia repair. I planned on maxing out my flex spending account next year for part of the payment. Today, I heard that plastics are not  considered reimbursable expenses for flex savings. But it seemed like some people here have used their flex spending to get plastics. So, anyone want to share their flex spending story with me?
-Angel  

TurtleShell
on 11/1/11 8:19 am - WA
I asked about this recently for my HSA. It seems that people were able to use their FSA to cover expenses for insurance-approved "reconstructive" procedure, such as panni removal.

proudauntie
on 11/1/11 9:05 am - Honolulu, HI
I put money in my flex account for a tummy tuck and it was denied even though I had a letter from my surgeon that it was medically necessary.  With the letter, I was able to write the cost off on my taxes.  Good luck.
Nicole T.
on 11/2/11 10:27 pm
so if you have a letter from your surgeon saying your surgery is medically necessary and also states the cost you paid, you can get that tax free? thanks!
mkbeany
on 11/1/11 1:12 pm
Check your fine print.

Mine cannot be used for anything "cosmetic".
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
pycca
on 11/2/11 11:53 pm - Haslet, TX
Sorry to hijack,  but coud you pm me?  I have some questions of wording >>> tanks
Debi
PBJ
on 11/1/11 10:57 pm
I too have a flex spending acct...called to see if I could use it for my upcoming surgery.  nope!  It cannot be used for any cosmetic or plastic surgery.  What a bummer!

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Kristie S.
on 11/4/11 4:37 am
I called my HSA -  Payflex and asked them and they said that as long as the insurance covered it as medically necessary then they would allow me to use my FSA.  I could not do cosmetic surgery if the insruance didnt cover it.

Luckily my insurance covered the procedure and so I used my payflex
Kristie

Most Active