When does it get better?

PBJ
on 1/16/12 10:58 pm
 I am on post op day 6 and I still can't sleep at night. Last nite I didn't sleep at all.  I still need my pain meds every 4 hours.  I had a lot of lipo with my extended abdominalplasty.  I am bruised everywhere which I don't really care about but the pain is awful.  Help,

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/12 11:18 pm
Awww.....{{hugs}} Patty.....

The best advice I can give you is to remember that your body has just went through a LOT of trauma with surgery and lipo.  It takes time to repair itself and for me, the lack of sleep magnifies the pain issues.  If the current meds you were prescribed aren't giving you some relief - call your PS this morning and ask for something different/stronger, etc.  I know for me I was sleeping all different times of the day.

Please make sure that you are getting in lots of protein, etc. to give your body the best nutrition for the healing process.

It WILL get better, all of us who have had PS have to have a lot of patience.

Hugs,
Gracie150
waitinggame
on 1/16/12 11:36 pm - Bowie, MD
I have to agree with Gracie about the sleep--my sleep was all over the place and I spent quite a few nights awake at ungodly times and couldn't get back to sleep for several hours undoubtedly because I slept during the day so much. Definitely get some drugs specifically for sleep if it keeps being problematic. I was pretty wrecked for a good week, maybe a little longer. I almost want to look back at my notes from the time to see because it gets fuzzy after a while. I do remember thinking, "How the hell do people go back to the gym after 2 weeks. I was NOWHERE near ready then.

I'm sorry you are struggling. Have you done any ice? I did do ice at points and it helped quite a bit.

And what did they give you for pain--might you need something stronger? I did take some herbal stuff--arnica maybe--for the bruising and another one I have to check at home for swelling.  I didn't have any bruising to speak of, so even though you don't mind it, maybe having something to help with the bruising and swelling would reduce the pain. Just a thought.

Hang in there--you must be getting ready to turn the corner.

Hugs!!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Lee ~
on 1/16/12 11:48 pm - CA
 Patty, I'm so sorry you still hurt so much!

I took 30C Arnica Montana by Boericke & Tafel. I started pre op and took it te minute I got out of recovery and contined for a week.  I had two liters lipoed from thighs and saddlebags, but didn't experience very much pain.  The only thing that I can think is that the arnica helped as it controls bruising.  It might not be too late to help you if you try it.  I just want you feeling better.

Are you walking around every few hours? Can you get outside and walk?  Sip a lot, take that miralax so you don't suffer.  Eat lots of water,elon and fresh papaya.  I ate two big bowls of papaya daily for the first two weeks. I don't like it but it has vast healing properties.  I can't think of anything else that I did besides arnica, papaya, tons of water and walking around.  Day seven I went to the movies and kept moving and resting.

Take the pain meds and stay comfortable!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

biastar83
on 1/17/12 5:59 am - WI
 I'm on day 12 an I really felt a shift to feeling better on day 10. The last 2 days I've been feeling way better. Hope you feel better too soon.

We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.      

muffin27
on 1/17/12 7:52 am - Canada
lakoria
on 1/17/12 10:58 am - TX
I am 7 days past brachioplasty with lipo. My PS suggested arnica Montana and seems to help but he also prescribed ambien. Call PS and get some sleep
kathkeb
on 1/17/12 11:04 am
Ask your doctor -- but in the past, I was told that I could/should take a benadryl with my pain meds.
The surgeon told me that it would help me sleep, and also would extend the life of the pain meds to 6 hours instead of 4 hours.

I got a little 'itchy' when i took percocet -- so he told me to add the benadryl --- and it made a big difference.

I was able to sleep and recuperate.

Hang in there --- sending good vibes for you to feel much better soon!!
Kath

Crazeru
on 1/17/12 11:12 am
The first couple of weeks, I watched a lot of movies between 11-3am.  I couldn't sleep, so watched a movie.  When I slept, it was off and on.  Taking naps during the day didn't help sleeping at night, but that's what my body wanted.  Keeping up with the pain meds is very important.  Sleep when you can.  Protein shakes, bars whatever you need to do.  I upped my protein to 200g/day for healing, on top of the the 3 weeks before PS. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Michelle E.
on 1/17/12 12:19 pm
My Dr prescribed Xanax..it helped me sleep..no sleep may make you feel even worse..I hope you feel better..

Michelle
Most Active