another loose skin question

glzgowlass
on 2/13/12 2:16 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I'm a little over half way in my weight loss.  My skin isn't really that loose.  - Maybe a bit in some places but not too bad.  I was just over 200lbs and the goal is around 112.  (I'm 159 at the moment)  So I need to lose about 100lbs total from start to finish and I've lost about 53%ish so far.

Is it a good sign that I'm not seeing too much loose skin so far?  Or should I not expect to see it at this point anyway?    I know I'll have some at the end of this but I'm wondering what other people experienced at this stage in the wl journey when they lost about 50+% of their weight

Trying to guage what to expect later and how much plastics I might need.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Lee ~
on 2/13/12 2:55 am - CA
 It's so hard to say because we are all so different, as is our skin.  I saw the worst of my damage during the last 20 pounds.  The last 10 really wiped out my face and left me looking 80 instead of 61.  

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

glzgowlass
on 2/13/12 7:52 am, edited 2/12/12 8:08 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Geez, I see what you mean! That's some avatar!

Lee ~
on 2/13/12 8:35 am - CA
 LOL

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

2muchfluff
on 2/13/12 2:59 am, edited 2/13/12 2:59 am
My experience has been that as I got closer to goal, my skin seemed to suffer more and more. Just a few months ago, I didn't think it would be too bad, but seems to get looser with each pound lost. Everybody is different, though. It has everything to do with how overweight you were, for how long, your age, skin type, etc.

I had a similar, obviously non-permanent weight loss about 15 years ago, and my skin snapped back. Not so this time.

bowknot
on 2/13/12 3:45 am
I agree with Lee.  Everyone's skin is different. 

The other part of the equation is what you can live with.  After the birth of my second child, I needed a tummy tuck.  I didn't know I needed a tummy tuck.  I thought that roll of loose stretch-marked skin was fat.  I was 24 what did I know?  Fast forward 20+ years, I knew when I started my WLS journey that I would have tummy work in my future.  I chose to go the lower body lift route because of the sagginess of my butt and thighs.

My thighs are still a little saggy.  I've got some bat wings too.  I can live with both of these and I'm not planning anymore plastics. 

Lets not forget the money piece of the equation.  Some people don't have plastic surgery because they don't have the money.  Some are fortunate enough to have insurance cover it.  I wasn't. I could save money for more plastics, but I can live with the sagging I have, so I don't intend to spend the money.

Kay
glzgowlass
on 2/13/12 8:07 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Yeah, I've always assumed I was blessed or something.  My mother is 83 and could pass for 60.  When I had my son I was sure I had inherited her genes because even though Calum was over 10lbs and I was under 5 foot tall and carried it all on front I never had a single stretch mark.  My friends all have wrinkles on their brow and mine is still wrinkle free.

Still I'm now (almost) 47.  I've lived a different life from my mother and when I had Calum I was 32. I am facing the reality that I may not be as blessed as I thought.

The responses have been helpful.  I got it. -  We are all different, just like the weight loss, the skin is too- so no way of telling.  Maybe I will turn out ok, maybe not.  Might not be the answer I hoped for, but helpful nonetheless.

I may be able to afford plastics.  I'm sure tricare prime won't cover it.  Maybe I will be able to live with what I have.

To be honest, I see saggin skin as a sign of success even though I don't really reli**** either...if that makes sense.... although I really could do without it hanging off my face. sigh....mom was lucky....course she was never fat either.  I got this from my dad's side....

bowknot
on 2/13/12 11:39 am
Tricare Prime doesn't cover much in the way of plastics. It all has to be medically warranted. I have Tricare Prime and looked into it.

If you live close to one of the big military hospitals (like Walter Reed or Bethesda), you may be able to get into their cosmetic surgery department. They have PS residents that have to do certain procedures for training. They stay busy with wounded warriors, but they still have to practice their more commercial skills. I think availability of service depends on their caseload.

Kay
MsApryl
on 2/13/12 10:02 am - Pocono summit, PA
As everyone has said it is up to your personal comfort zone I lost about 140lbs and have been out of my surgery for 5 years before I considered a tummy tuck in fact my dr. recomended it because of all the belly button infections I was having and rashes. I was lucky to have ins. cover it.. so what ever comes from this is a gift to me . I will say that I do work out and lift weights. some of the saggyness can be compensated by building muscle. My arms chest and shoulders are not as droopy as they could be and my legs are stronger than ever. Now after this tummy tuck I have  to start over again with my fitness but I can live with that since I can be back tomy pre op shape sometime in the summer.    Good luck hope this helps.

apryl
  Happines is not a birthright.You make your own happiness through your attitude and the way you behave.Happiness is a choice. It takes daily practice to make it a habbit.
Michelle E.
on 2/13/12 12:19 pm
You're a light weight.. I think since you'll lose about a hundred pounds your loose skin will be less of an impact compared to those who have lost 150-200 pounds..loose skin is relative.. to height, starting weight, stabilized weight, age, pregnancies etc.

So you might need a TT.. I would start your saving and toning now..at least you will have the option when you are done with your weight loss..

I am 40 yrs old, 5'11, lost over 169 pounds.. my skin was unforgiving.. I had my TT, Breast lift/implants/ lateral thigh and mons lift/ lipo on saddle bags.. I still need my arms and thighs done.. I lost a person.. I lost someone your size..

Michelle
Most Active