Hemoglobin and TT

Anwing8
on 5/1/12 12:32 am - Cape May, NJ
I had my pre op appointment yesturday for my May 8th surgery (one week from today!!) my hemoglobin is 11.0. I've always been anemic since having my GBP 5 years ago. That is my only health issue. I have a call into my surgeon but I'm STRESSING OUT that it's going to be canceled. I can't put it off any longer because we are moving and it will be another 3 years before I will have the opportunity to have it again. I will be crushed!

~AMY~
from 308 to 165 `~ 5 years post op and still keeping it off!!
Proud military spouse and Mom to 4 amazing kids!!

PBJ
on 5/1/12 1:07 am
A hemoglobin of 11 is not low enough to cancel surgery....you should be fine! 

good luck...and I hope you can relex and look forward to your TT

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/12 3:04 am
I agree doubt they will cancel your surgery, but I would think it is a concern. Mine was 14 going in and 11.8 afterwards I took Bifera iron supplements for 6 months till my Hemoglobin got back up to where it needs to be. I would ask if they want you to start on something now rather than later.

Good luck,
Brian
samiamiam
on 5/1/12 7:15 am
kipz303
on 5/1/12 8:10 pm
 Uhm - not meaning to start anything, I'm literally curious where you heard that hemoglobin can be up in the 400's??  I've always been told that for adult woment it should be between 12 and 16. Even in my classes for my Medical Assisting degree. One would think that 400 would be WAY too high? Again, I seriously just want to know is all - O_o maybe I'm confusing it with something else for the 12-16?

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/1/12 8:48 pm
You are right.  Hgb is precisely 1/3 of the HCT.  So if her Hgb is 11 - her HCT is approx. 33.  the person would be dead if she had a Hgb in the 100's.  Her blood would be too viscous to pass through her veins and arteries.   Even living in Colorado (high altitude) I have never seen a Hgb on an adult female higher than 24.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Anwing8
on 5/2/12 1:28 pm - Cape May, NJ
I heard from the doctor today and I am good to go!!! He said it is low... Normal range for this hospital is 11.5-14.5 so he wants me to continue my iron pills but surgery is still on!! Yay!

~AMY~
from 308 to 165 `~ 5 years post op and still keeping it off!!
Proud military spouse and Mom to 4 amazing kids!!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/2/12 4:38 pm
Congrats!  I'm so happy your surgery is still on!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active