Panniculectomy and Abdominoplasty the same?

MELMEL308
on 5/2/12 7:32 am - PA
Hey everyone,

I am in the first stage process of having a hernia repair with skin removal.  I am told it is the right time to go for this surgery because I have lost 100lbs, and now the hernia is starting to really affect me pain wise.  I am having a hard time exercising with the amount of pain from the hernia.  So both my VSG and Plastics doctor think this is the right move...
I am in the process of insurance approval... When i search panniculectomy, abdominoplasty comes up majority of the time.. I like the whole tightening of the muscles.. and i know i ultimately must speak with my surgeon on his procedure moves, but i guess my question is has anyone had the hernia repair along with their skin removal... i am being told i am a bit fortunate for having the hernia in the lower abdomen because insurance will cover 85% of the cost of the skin removal because it is combines with a necessary hernia repair.. I am excited but a bit worried about pain, and scarring, and want to make sure my research will give me the best option.... I like the whole muscle tightening that i read in the abdominoplasty ( i am sure i am spelling it wrong), but i also hear this is what makes the operation so painful...
I am still not at goal, but both doctors agree the hernia repair with skin removal will help me exercise with no pain, and give me a major confidence boost with the skin removal..
Any advice would help...thank you
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
Amy W.
on 5/2/12 7:59 am - Buckeye, AZ
It's the worst pain I could ever horrificly imagine, but worth it in the end.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Crazeru
on 5/2/12 8:05 am
Insurance will generally pay for the hernia repair and a panniculectomy.  You'd have to arrange with the surgeon to pay the additional costs to make it a full TT with muscle tightening.  If you can wait for the last 30lbs, it'd look better, if not you may need a revision. 

Tom - levittown_loser - had a very large hernia that Dr Sauceda hand sewed and then had a full LBL.  No mesh.  If I remember insurance would have paid, but he didn't want the mesh or just the panni removed.  There are pics in Dr Sauceda's group photo section of his hernia and PS.

If you read back a few pages, panni removal was discussed in a few threads and why most people aren't happy with just the panni removal.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

MELMEL308
on 5/2/12 8:23 am - PA
Thank You, I will look for it now..
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
kathkeb
on 5/2/12 9:35 am
Some people use abdominoplasty/panniculectomy/tummy tuck synonomously.

My understanding is that a panniculectomy is a removal of excess skin only ---

In my abdominoplasty, my surgeon made a hip to hip incision at the bikini line, he excised my former belly button, he tightened all abdominal muscles, he crafted a new belly button, he performed a mons lift which improved the look of my upper thighs also.

Honestly, I don't think that the pain was as bad as I expected.
I had a pain pump installed (it administered anesthetic for about 48 hours post op).  I was given Lortab and was allowed to take 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours.  I took 1/2 pill every 6 hours or so (along with a benadryl)

I have tightness -- but honestly, that is exactly what I paid for!!!

As far as 2 procedures at once, in my experience it is not the money saver that I expected.
When my band was installed, I had to have a hiatal hernia repaired.
My bariatric surgeon did his part of that repair for free, but I was charged (by the minute) for the anesthesiologist and for the surgical suite.

Make sure you fully understand what is covered -- I think that there are some surgeons who will 'slip in a little extra' -- and convert an insurance-paid panniculectomy to a full abdominoplasty  --- but make sure you know what you have to pay for out of pocket and what your expected results will be.

Good luck!!!
Kath

Anwing8
on 5/2/12 1:24 pm - Cape May, NJ
I am having a panni removal and extended tummy ruck. My insurance is paying for the panni removal ... that is the extra skin BELOW the belly button only. A panniculectomy does not involve removal or contouring of anything above the belly button. I am paying out of pocket for the muscle tightening, lipo of the hips and flanks and body conturing. They are definitely two different procedures but kind of go hand in hand. I don't have any info to offer on hernia repair.

~AMY~
from 308 to 165 `~ 5 years post op and still keeping it off!!
Proud military spouse and Mom to 4 amazing kids!!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/2/12 4:45 pm

Please make sure he knows if you want your mons pubis area rised or not.  Some do not do it unless you discuss it with them prior to surgery.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

ginau
on 5/2/12 1:53 pm - mesa, AZ
Mel

Good Luck on getting insurance to apy for it all. I suggest you ready our insurance policy info.. Mine has declined the process twice.. stating it is a cosmetic procedue and  that they didnt see  where I meet hteir medical criteria .. I too have a  low hernia ...  I am fighting the decline of coverage right now..

if you have a lot of rash;s and skin breakdown - make sure to see your Dr and get it documented ...

Good Luck ..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Iam_with_the_Band
on 5/2/12 4:48 pm

Gina, I can't believe you would be denied after losing that much weight.  Mine were denied too!  I have lost the weight of a Morbidly Obese individual but removal of my excess skin was still determined to be cosmetic.  It really depends on the plan that the employer purchases.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/12 5:35 pm - OH
I had three separate surgeries for the panniculectomy, a hernia repair in the upper abdomen, and then (a year later) an abdominoplasty.  I had very little pain with the panni after the first couple of days, but my hernia repair and my tummy tuck were by far the most painful surgeries I have ever had (and my RNY was open and I had an open hysterectomy many years ago).  

I had NOT planned to spend the money on a tummy tuck (if I had, I would have had it done when she did the hermia repair!), but I ended up paying for it after all because I couldn't stand all the excess skin above my waist when my lower belly was nice and flat!  Since your hernia is in the lower abdomen, you may have the same issue if you just have the henia repair and panni done and not the full abdominoplasty...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active