PS Consults and Questions

rhearob
on 6/24/12 11:28 pm - TN
I am not planning on having my plastics until the fall (OCtober/November), but am doing my consults this week to start planning.  I have insurance coverage for the abdominoplasty but nothing else and I plan on going for the full montag, starting with the LBL.  I am preparing my list of questions to make sure I have everything covered and just want to bounce them off you guys to see if I am missing anything and get your opinions as well:

1.  Revision Policy - If a revision is needed for scar or unsatisfactory result, is the revision included or additional.  How often do you have to do a revision?

2.  After care - I live in a two story home with all of the bedrooms upstairs.  Should I arrange a downstairs bedroom for the initial recovery period?  Should I rent an adjustable bed for the initial recovery?  I have compression shirts and compression shorts I use for exercise.  Anything else I need?

3.  Body Hair - I've been big my entire life, My skin is WAY stretched out.  I am kind of afraid that I will either be left with no, or an extremely bizarre looking pattern of body hair - especially around the junk.  How is this typically handled?

4.   Complications/Rates (One of my potential surgeons publishes this, one doesn't)

5.  How many procedures - For the LBL I would like the chest/Back/TT/Thighs all done at one time.  

6.  Incision patterns - For the TT, I am expecting the anchor, in my case I think there is no avoiding that.  Probably for the pecs as well (I'm not big on nipple sensitivity so cut away - I want the flat chest), Obviously around the waist, what other incisions can I expect?  I am also guessing inner thighs with the ammount of skin I have there.

7.  I have a dental bridge - will that need to be removed for surgery? (Please GOD NO, I dont want to have my jack o lantern smile in the hospital)

I know there is probably plenty I am not asking that I should, so please share you wisdom and experience with me.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

MyLady Heidi
on 6/25/12 2:51 am
Those all sound like good questions, I don't know that I was that prepared, I just knew I wanted certain things done and wanted to see if the surgeon could do it.  I left the rest to him.  I had an extended tt and neck lift together and I didn't need any special stuff or help.  I had my arms and a revision to my neck and again nothing special, it was pretty easy for the arms.  These doctors do this for a living, you will either like them or not, go with your gut instinct and you will probably be choosing the right doctor.  I only saw one, I actually used a residency program at Yale and it worked on well and I saved money in the process.
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/12 5:42 am
Wowzers dude you got alot a ?'s but I will help where I can hopefully.

1. I personally never saw such a thing before my surgery unless I missed it. I would ask upfront about it to the surgeon and here it out of them as well as read it. WISH I WOULD HAVE!

2. Your first 3-5 days from my experience and what I read are the hardest. A lounger is a huge bonus if you have one. A downstairs set-up sound likea good way to go. You will probably want someone around to be with you the first few at least it doesn't hurt to have help. I loved my raised toilet seat (Walmart 22 bucks) and grabber claw like the old folks have were great.

3. I had hair everywhere before and it grew back everywhere afterwards, all I can tell you on that one.

4. There can always be complications (blood clots in my case). Never once did I see rates listed for procedures and I saw 4 different surgeons.

5. Alot of surgeons will only do so much at a time. Alot seem to like to keep it under 6 hours but there are exceptions. I had a Extended TT & Gynecomastia at same time, should have gotten a LBL along with getting the crotch done (sorry if tmi). This will come down to what you want and what a surgeon is willing to do. You get one area done and the others that need work suddenly scream out at you or they did in my case.
I would say DO YOUR HOMEWORK about the different procedures and different surgeons. Find one that has performed body sculpting on WLS patients specifically how many men have they done surgery on.

6. I don't care about scars personally but I have an issue with the placement of the scar and where it sits. I hear people sometimes struggle with the dogear where the T meets in the middle that would be an area of concern I think. Use Vitamin E oil on scars or some type of silicone strips people have talked about to help the scars fade, didn't really care myself. Look at the surgeons photo's best way to see if you see what you like IMHO,

7. Don't know but would think unlikely, haven't heard of anybody on this board having to have that done.

Benadryl for itching. Don't know your pain tolerance but no-time to be a cowboy it hurts flat out keep the meds comin. If it says every 4 hours set your alarm clock to wake up in time to take it. I woke up in pain 1 time NOT FUN! Get a fanny pack for your drains, they may be  in few weeks. At some point you'll want to go out and not have them pinned to your shirt this gives you a good way to hide them.

Congrats on the weightloss. If I sound a little jaded I have some issues with my surgery. But still need to discuss with. I have pics in my profile your welcome to look at there are public. I like they chest but don't care for the rest so to speak.

Good luck,
Bubba
Laura in Texas
on 6/25/12 6:06 am
I would make sure abdominal muscle tightening is included.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ruggie
on 6/25/12 8:47 am - Sacramento, CA
On June 25, 2012 at 6:28 AM Pacific Time, rhearob wrote:
I am not planning on having my plastics until the fall (OCtober/November), but am doing my consults this week to start planning.  I have insurance coverage for the abdominoplasty but nothing else and I plan on going for the full montag, starting with the LBL.  I am preparing my list of questions to make sure I have everything covered and just want to bounce them off you guys to see if I am missing anything and get your opinions as well:

1.  Revision Policy - If a revision is needed for scar or unsatisfactory result, is the revision included or additional.  How often do you have to do a revision?

2.  After care - I live in a two story home with all of the bedrooms upstairs.  Should I arrange a downstairs bedroom for the initial recovery period?  Should I rent an adjustable bed for the initial recovery?  I have compression shirts and compression shorts I use for exercise.  Anything else I need?

3.  Body Hair - I've been big my entire life, My skin is WAY stretched out.  I am kind of afraid that I will either be left with no, or an extremely bizarre looking pattern of body hair - especially around the junk.  How is this typically handled?

4.   Complications/Rates (One of my potential surgeons publishes this, one doesn't)

5.  How many procedures - For the LBL I would like the chest/Back/TT/Thighs all done at one time.  

6.  Incision patterns - For the TT, I am expecting the anchor, in my case I think there is no avoiding that.  Probably for the pecs as well (I'm not big on nipple sensitivity so cut away - I want the flat chest), Obviously around the waist, what other incisions can I expect?  I am also guessing inner thighs with the ammount of skin I have there.

7.  I have a dental bridge - will that need to be removed for surgery? (Please GOD NO, I dont want to have my jack o lantern smile in the hospital)

I know there is probably plenty I am not asking that I should, so please share you wisdom and experience with me.
 Usually a revision us free from the sureon but you still pay anesthesa and ability fees b

You may want to use a downstairs couch fr a few days nd then you'll slowly be able to do stairs. I also found a toilet raiser to be quite valuable. 

Body hairv around the junk was really not disturbed fr me. Oh, the skin is pulled tight and Mr. Happy looks better, but no air changecdwn there. 

Ask each surgeon about complications. Pick one tat is transparent and shoves those possibilities down your throat so there's no unexpected surprises - just possibly undesired outcomes. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

ruggie
on 6/25/12 8:53 am - Sacramento, CA
 I had LBL and chest lipo all done at once. It was 10 hours though. 

I think you need to let he surgeon make the anchor decision. I saw seven surgeon's and found the less experienced surgeons wanted to use the anchor technique to help shore up their regular work. But if you're talking LBL and gyne removal and thigh lift, that might run you more than one surgery. With gyne, you'll have a half moon incision at the aerola when the skin pigmentation changes. 

Dental bridge - ask the anesthesiologist. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

kathkeb
on 6/25/12 2:01 pm
I have dental work and it was the anesthesiologist who decided on surgery day that it was tight enough to stay in.

I live in a one story house and my recliner was my best friend for about 4 weeks post op.

I rented one for about $150for the month including delivery and pick up.

The rest are great questions.
Kath

dani02
on 6/26/12 4:55 am - Utica, MI
Yay a question I can answer.

#7 Dental Bridge. As long as this is in place permanetly with cement,
and you do not remove yourself, it stays. If it is a removable appliance
then you will and should leave at home. To many things can go wrong
and you dont want to lose or break it.

As for #6 your doctor can mark you up with pen to show you where
the incisions will be.

#3 Ummm Hair down there may be in the incision line. It may then grow
through the scar in an unsightly pattern, it may not. The dr. can show you
where on your body he or she will cut. May think about a little laser of the
region to remove and or style the hair  Just saying.

#2 aftercare. I prepared for the worse. Had guaze and gloves heck I even
have sutures at my house (dont ask) Thank goodness that I really didn't
need much. A recliner with some old blankets and pillows for propping
things up.
Dont think I could have done stairs so get a nest toghter for the living
room and stay there.

Oh and one thing that I wish I would have had other than chapstick,
A BACKSCRATCHER! I had to itch and I needed help getting to it.
Seems like an ******* just when someone gets you close they
miss it. TMI I know  but why is it nobody can get the right spot?
Good luck

Dani
Chana
on 6/26/12 11:28 am
On June 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM Pacific Time, dani02 wrote:
Yay a question I can answer.

#7 Dental Bridge. As long as this is in place permanetly with cement,
and you do not remove yourself, it stays. If it is a removable appliance
then you will and should leave at home. To many things can go wrong
and you dont want to lose or break it.

As for #6 your doctor can mark you up with pen to show you where
the incisions will be.

#3 Ummm Hair down there may be in the incision line. It may then grow
through the scar in an unsightly pattern, it may not. The dr. can show you
where on your body he or she will cut. May think about a little laser of the
region to remove and or style the hair  Just saying.

#2 aftercare. I prepared for the worse. Had guaze and gloves heck I even
have sutures at my house (dont ask) Thank goodness that I really didn't
need much. A recliner with some old blankets and pillows for propping
things up.
Dont think I could have done stairs so get a nest toghter for the living
room and stay there.

Good luck

Dani

OMG!!  ROFLMAO!
Most Active