Hip bones? Who knew?

RobynJC
on 7/10/13 3:14 am

So this may sound like a stupid question, but I truly had no idea where my hip bones were.  I always assumed they were lower, about in line with my pubic area because that was the largest area around on my frame.  I had a layer of fat/extra skin pretty much wrapping around my body between the bellybutton and the point where my legs meet my torso, It thought my hips were under that padding.   But it actually turns out they are much higher about 1/2 between my public area and breasts.  In line now with my new belly button, if not slightly higher. 

The dumb question is..... is that normal?  Is that where your hip bones are?  

Paula622
on 7/10/13 4:45 am

Are you maybe feeling the bottom of your ribs?  My hip bones are very prominent when I lay down and they're at least an inch below my belly button, just above my c-section scar (which is right at the top of my pubic hair line).

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

MyBariatricLife
on 7/10/13 5:26 am

I agree with Paula. I think you are feeling a rib. Don't feel bad... I just learned that what I thought was my vagina is actually my vulva. LOL

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Brooke F.
on 7/10/13 2:17 pm - CA

Totally chuckling! 

RobynJC
on 7/10/13 6:09 am, edited 7/10/13 6:11 am

Nope, it is the hip bones (I can feel the outline of the Iliac Crest and outer Iliac spine) When I lay down, I can feel it even more.  

I just measured (apparently, I'm bored)  and it is about 4 inches from my last attached rib (can't feel the floating one really) to the top of my pelvis bone.  My belly button is 6 inches from my pubic hair line.   The highest point of the hip bone (the crest) is 1 1/2 inches above the belly button and 5 1/2 inches below my bra band.  

Odd the things you notice after a lower body lift and your body is so different.  This is stuff I never even noticed before (never mind the hip bones, but how my body looks in general).  I spent 30 years of my life ignoring anything from the neck down, it is like I am looking at someone else's body now.  So strange. 

MyBariatricLife
on 7/11/13 1:04 pm

"Odd the things you notice after a lower body lift and your body is so different.  This is stuff I never even noticed before..." 

That is how I learned about my vulva, and the clitoral hood and glands!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

exohexoh
on 7/10/13 2:55 pm - West Chester, PA
Mine is about an inch below the bottom of my belly button.

How is everything going for you? Haven't seen you around as much, hope its for good reasons!

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

RobynJC
on 7/11/13 2:23 am

Hi!  Things are going well, and alas, I am back to work (working from home though) so my days have been pretty busy.  I'm 5 weeks out as of today and have been lucky, no complications to date.  

I was going to post an update after I have my 6 week follow up with my doc.  There's not much going on right now except some swelling and the surprisingly difficult task of buying new clothes.  Who would have thought it would be so tough to find stuff.  I had put aside some budget for buying new stuff, but I just can't really find things.  And finding what size I am is a mental anguish filled exercise in frustration.  I'm finding I fit into stuff from a size 4 thru a size 8.  If I don't fit in the 8, I put it back, I REFUSE to buy a 10 again.  :-) 

How are you doing?  Hope all is well. 

exohexoh
on 7/11/13 2:24 pm - West Chester, PA
I'm good. No complication so far here either. Just lots and lots of swelling! The humidity isn't helping. My sisters wedding was Saturday and today was the rehearsal so I saw a bunch of family that I haven't seen since before the tt and they were all excited and kept telling me how great I look, which is nice since the swelling has me feeling huge.

I haven't tried on any pants yet, but the ones I own are definitely too big. I'm having issues with dresses because to fit my boobs they're huge everywhere else. Same with my bathing suit top (I've been afraid to go in the pool before the wedding just in case of anything so I can't wait to go in on Sunday!).

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

MyBariatricLife
on 7/12/13 11:07 pm

My top is larger than my bottom, too. I like this figure, called an inverted triangle or an inverted hour glass. If you google that you can find tips for dressing for your figure. As for me, I buy my shirts tight so that they fit my waist. Otherwise baggy shirts make me look like a barrel. The same goes for dresses.

before my TT I could not wear shirts and dresses that were tight around my waist because of the rolls of fat. Now I look great. Thrilled!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active