What Do You Eat After Surgery?

Jessica O.
on 5/29/14 3:09 am, edited 5/29/14 3:20 am - Ann Arbor, MI

I only have care available to me for two days after surgery (there will be people I can call in an emergency if needed).  If you were alone/live alone and had to cook for yourself, what did you prepare?  Will I be able to actually make it to the kitchen to warm up some frozen soup or do I need to keep protein bars/tuna kits in bed with me?  Thanks!  

ETA:  OOPS!  I'm sorry I forgot to include my surgery - fleur de lis circumferential abdominoplasty with buttock lift

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

jeterway
on 5/29/14 3:13 am

Not sure what you are having done.  But if mobility will be limited, it is a good idea to keep protein shakes/bars around.  Even though you may want to resume normal activities, standing to cook something may be a challenge the first few days.  And you want to make sure that you get some extra protein in to promote healing.  You don't need to keep them in bed with you but certainly next to where ever you are spending your day - within arms reach.  Better to have something like that and not need it than the opposite.  Each day gets better and better with mobility, pain, and overall recovery.  Good luck.

Jessica O.
on 5/29/14 3:21 am - Ann Arbor, MI

I'm sorry!  I'm having the fleur de lis circumferential abdominoplasty with buttock lift.

Thank you!  I'm expecting the worst but walking to the kitchen is probably a good idea anyway, right?   

emelar
on 5/29/14 3:35 am - TX

You're going to have to get up and walk a bit anyway for circulation and bathroom, and yes, you'll be able to do some simple heat and serve meals.  I made sure I had RTD protein drinks and protein bars handy.  If you're like me, your metabolism is going to rev up for awhile after surgery, and so will your appetite.  Make sure you have healthy, easy to fix food and drinks on hand.  The muscle repair and whatever compression garments you have on might increase your restriction, so plan on many small meal/snacks throughout the day.

For the most part, I was eating the same food I usually eat, with the extra drinks and bars.

jeterway
on 5/29/14 4:30 am

What elemar said.  Yes you do want to get up and move around a bit.  But standing for any length of time to prepare something is not what you are going to want to do in those first days.  So quick meals, protein bars, and rtd protein drinks are things that you should have on hand.  My appetite was a little lacking the first few days but you do need to get the protein in to facilitate healing.  Good luck.

Lyss Remaly
on 5/31/14 11:08 am - Wheeling, IL

Hey Jessica!!!

You do need to get up and move around as MUCH as possible!  I did ALL of my meal preps and put them in the freezer before surgery.  I was also alone two days after surgery for two weeks.  I would portion ALL of my chicken, ground turkey, fish, broccoli, spinach and green beans and even my snacks and put them in the freezer or in easy reach.  I portioned all of my vitamins and made sure I had plenty of protein powder available.  Don't have TOO much in the house.  It will just be you and the food and personally... i didn't trust myself.  I put everythign in baggies and was able to just put it into a container and into the micro. 

I hope this helps!

BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR SURGERY!

greensleeved
on 5/31/14 11:14 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

You may also want to get yourself a gripper tool on the end of a pole. If you are having abdominal surgery it will probably be hard for you to stretch or lift things.

Reaching for food (or whatever) up in cabinets could be uncomfortable. Congratulations on your loss!

marianthelibrarian
on 6/2/14 4:46 am

I had almost the same surgery last Thursday. (No butt lift) I have had someone with me through today, but I would have been ok alone if I had my food and beverages at an good height. I did get myself a grabber, and it has been handy. I've dropped a few things! I had a friend drive me to my post-op appointment today. I needed someone for that definitely! I haven't wanted much to eat, so shakes have been handy to have around. 

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

Most Active