Question about scars after necrosis

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/14 1:17 pm - OH

When I had my tummy tuck several years ago, the incision turned necrotic and I had a large wound across my ribcage and under my breasts (it was a "reverse" tummy tuck -- a true "T" shape -- because I had already had a panniculectomy done). 

The scars I have from this little adventure look like burn scars and, even though it has been several years since I had it done, the skin in some spots is still thinner than the rest of my skin.

I have hesitated to expose that area to the sun because I am afraid of what might happen to the scarred areas, but am not really sure whether I need to be concerned about it or not.

I am over 50, so keeping my tummy covered isn't a big deal, but this came up on another post earlier today and so I thought I would ask if anyone knows if that skin would burn much more easily, etc..

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

pineview01
on 7/5/14 1:22 pm - Davison, MI

I was only told to stay out of the sun for the first year.  But I don't have an area like yours.  I would still use a good sunscreen just because the sun isn't good for the skin anyway.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

godzilla
on 7/5/14 7:45 pm - Israel
I too was told a year and I scar ugly and also had gangrene but my gangrene was at the bottom of the t and not visible however my vertical scar form my original WLS was always thick.
Mikimi in Israel
Most Active