Mexico Plastic Surgery Questions

Jvajtai
on 6/20/18 7:09 am

I had RNY Gastric Bypass in December 2010. I have lost over 200 lbs and maintained that weightless for over 5 years. I am looking into having plastic surgery, a lower or full body lift to be more precise. I am looking for any advice from anyone who has had this procedure in Mexico. Who do you recommend? How was your experience? What was the cost?

As I am getting closer to getting this dream fulfilled, I am becoming a little nervous and more and more excited. I want to walk into this as prepared as possible.

Thank you.

Jocelynn

wannabesupermomm
y

on 6/20/18 9:12 am, edited 6/20/18 2:13 am - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Congrats on the weight loss and maintenance! I don't have an answer for you, but in my search for a plastic surgeon I started using realself.com. Its been a great source to find surgeon's and see people's results/reviews. I see lots of people reviewing plastic surgery in Mexico, as well as Dominican Republic (if you are interested in that too.)

The only piece of advice I can give which is straight off of this board is to find a plastic surgeon who specializes in extreme weight loss patients.

Good luck!

RNY w/ Dr. George Fielding @ NYU 10/25/2016

LBL, BL, MASTOPEXY, FLANKPLASTY, BRACHIOPLASTY w/Dr. Joseph Capella @ Hackensack 07/11/2018

Stay tuned!

Jvajtai
on 6/20/18 10:39 am

Thank you. I agree about the surgeon being one who specializes in weight loss patients. We definitely have special needs when it comes to plastic surgery. This is not just for beauty.

Crazeru
on 6/20/18 11:10 am

Dr Sauceda is in Monterrey Mexico and the majority of his practice is WLS patients. I had the works done in 2011 - LBL, BL, arms, sm thigh and a full facelift including upper and lower lids. Went back in 2013 for an upper body lift. As you combine procedures the price goes down. I know an LBL (lower body lift is 7200), anything over 7000 and your 12 night stay in the hotel is paid for and up to $600 back of your airline ticket. You'll be in the clinic 3-4 days depending on how you are doing. Paty (Dr Sauceda's RN), comes daily to the hotel to help you shower, deal with stitches and drains and get you back into your compression garment. Dr S generally comes by when he can while you are at the hotel.

Dr Sauceda will be in Las Vegas Aug 3rd and 4th and is available for consults.

We do have a group here on OH. Check out my siggy line. Lots of threads to answer most all of your questions. It's not as busy now as post ops have moved off OH to a private group.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Liftmehigh
on 6/25/18 6:13 pm

Would he combine the lower body lift with the upper body lift? Also, could you give an estimate of what that could cost. Does that also include a breast lift ? If he doesn't combine the lower and upper how much is each procedure separately?

I know that all bodies are different but Im currently losing weight and saving so i just want to know an estimate to know much I should save.

Thank you in advance,

Jaz

Crazeru
on 7/25/18 10:50 am

Hi Jaz,

I'm not sure. Those questions need to be answered by Dr Sauceda. [email protected]

I know I had a breast lift, lower body lift, sm thigh and my arms on a Thur and a full facelift on Monday. I went by myself and did fine. I was also 59. I took powdered protein shakes and bars with me, but mostly ate the clinic food then at the hotel. Breakfast has eggs, waffles, fruit, beans, cereal. Not the continenal you get at most places. Enough for breakfast and snack later plus. I ate at the little mall right behind the hotel, Applebees, or the Italian place. There is also a food court at the HEB which is on the end of the mall.

The price goes down as you combine procedures. The LBL - $7200, breast lift 4500, w/aug 5500. Everyone prices are going to be different depending on your body and what needs to be done. Think about the price of a new Prius and start saving.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Liftmehigh
on 6/25/18 6:19 pm

I forgot to ask you. If i don't have anyone to accompany me is it OK if i go alone ? I don't mind being alone because from what I read it seems a nurse always goes and checks on the patient. Would i just need to take maybe shakes with me?

Thanks again,

Jaz

CC C.
on 6/20/18 11:33 am

All my complications started at least 2 weeks post op (pneumonia, tons of wound dehiscence that needed to be cleaned out). I am now over 6 weeks post op and still have open wounds that need my surgeon's attention. I curse that it's a 3-4 hour round trip to see him. I can't imagine what I would do if he was in another country... So ask LOTS of questions of what you're supposed to do if you need ongoing care well after you are released to go home.

Librarian67
on 6/20/18 11:40 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Hi Jocelynn,

I don't have any experience with PS in Mexico, but I did have an extended abdominoplasty and extended mastopexy about a month ago with Douglas Forman in the DC area. Because PS isn't usually covered by insurance, paying out of pocket can be really expensive. I understand. Costs are certainly cheaper in Mexico and DR, but personally, I am not comfortable with not having a local doctor to follow up with.

I have had no complications and am healing well, but I have had appointments with Dr. Forman 1-2 times a week through this week. Due to the amount of skin that he had to remove, I had the drains in for almost 3 weeks and even after they were removed, he had to drain fluid from my abdomen. He has consistently checked my progress, which is something that wouldn't have happened if I was not able to follow up with him. I am sure that there are very good plastic surgeons in Mexico, it's not that. I just have concerns about long term care with someone I will never see again.

Just my 2 cents.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

MyBariatricLife
on 6/28/18 2:39 pm

Make sure that you consult with your PCP about coordinating care when you return to the USA. You will need someone local to look after you should a minor complication arise. Of course you can always go to the ER.

Also, many US plastic surgeons don't want to take care of a patient that had surgery in MX so I suggest either you find one before hand and work that out OR should you need the help of a plastic surgeon afterwards then tell them you had the surgery with a plastic surgeon in another state. Serious complications are rare BUT it did happen to me (and I did not have plastic surgery in MX). I think you are more likely to get the help of a hospital-based plastic surgeon rather than a private practice surgeon should you have more serious complications.

A lot of people say they would not go to MX because if something happened as far as serious complications then you have no legal recourse. The truth is, you have almost no legal recourse with a US plastic surgeon either. It is very expensive and very difficult to sue for malpractice.

There is a woman on Realself who was butchered by a US PS and she only got $100k, I believe... not even enough to cover the costs of the surgeries she will need to TRY and remedy her problems. I think that you can find her review under body lifts.

I have heard some bad stories of patients having PS in the DR that I have not heard about MX.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active