Lazy Chili

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/22/17 7:00 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

We love chili in this household but unfortunately we don't have time to soak beans all the time. Below is a simple recipe that is high protein, good fiber and tastes darn good. Feel free to use, abuse and tweak this recipe to your heart's desire.

Three cans of low salt kidney beans.

Two cans of black beans.

Two medium red onions.

Two habaneros.

Cumin to taste.

Garlic to taste.

Two pounds of spicy pork sausage.

A can or jar of your favorite salsa.

About a half a cup of brown sugar.

Here is how I do it. Dump all of the beans, salsa and brown sugar  into a decent-size pot. Stir it up and throw it on medium heat. From there and this is really important, use a cast iron pan to cook the sausage and then add it to the beans. Then carmelize the onions and the habanero in the same cast iron pan that you used for the sausage. Add it to the mix! Dump in the Vampire repellent and the cumin until you are happy. Slowly bring it up to a boil stirring very regularly. Once you have a decent boil turn it down to a simmer and let it simmer for at least 4 hours. Enjoy!

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 1/23/17 6:59 am

That's a huge amount of food for two adults and one child.  I better pack quickly and get out there.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/23/17 6:45 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I would say that we don't fart around but with that much chili you really don't have a choice. 

4MRB4PHOTO
on 2/12/17 1:38 pm
VSG on 07/28/14

Sounds delicious and quick to prepare, thanks for the recipe. The use of sausage instead of ground beef or ground turkey is something I need to try.

Based upon a recent post, it is best that you used canned beans and didn't describe how you "soaked your beans".

:)

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/12/17 1:45 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

As the recent post describes, I've soaked my beans in many ways! I prefer the canned beans for easy prep and because of the texture. 

Most Active