Recent Posts

CRAZY_BEAUTiFUL
on 9/23/10 5:21 am - Newark, DE
Topic: WLS Friendly Apple/Fall Recipes???
I would like to go apple picking with my Mom this year since we haven't been in awhile. But what good are barrels and barrels of apples if you can't make anything with them!? I just love apples. I'll try anything that apples are included in. Does anyone have any good apple recipes, WLS friendly of course.

Or, if not apple recipes- any Fall recipes? My FAVORITE Fall recipe is vegetable beef soup. I know it sounds plain jane, but I make my soup on the day of the first snow fall each year (which is usually in late Fall where i live) & freeze it in small containers to use all winter.

I start with beef stock, then I brown some ground beef (although I'll most likely use turkey this year, since I tend to have a problem with beef since my RNY). Then I add veggies like canned tomatoes, frozen peas, frozen potatoes, frozen green beans, frozen carrots & any other veggie I can find in my freezer. I like frozen veggies as opposed to canned because I like how frozen veggies keep their crunch. I used to put corn in it, but I'm not allowed corn for a year after surgery. If you're allowed corn, by all means- add it. Then i add some different seasonings (I usually don't keep track of which seasonings I add, its whatever I'm in the mood for). I've even sometimes added white beans (which I probably will do this year for the protein!).  Vegetable soup is a pretty cheap meal. You could probably find the veggies at a dollar store or buy the store brand and you won't spend over 2-3 bucks a bag. The stock isn't expensive at all.

Anyway, let me know if your favorite either apple recipe or Fall recipe. Thanks!!
CRAZY_BEAUTiFUL
on 9/23/10 5:10 am - Newark, DE
Topic: RE: need pumpkin/fall recipes!
How funny! I was just posting a 'apple/fall recipe' thread, when i saw yours & figured I'd check it out. It looks like you have a lot of great recipes here. Although I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin, I would like to try pumpkin soup one time, just to say I've tried it. My Mom makes pumpkin fluff for Thanksgiving & its always a hit & no one even knows that it contains no 'real' sugar.

Good luck! I'm going to post my thread now, so stop by & you may get more ideas!

-Erika
liz52408
on 9/23/10 4:01 am
wow thanks everyone!  these all sound so good!!  looks like i will be baking soon!

berts4
on 9/23/10 2:14 am - Rock City, IL
Topic: RE: Anyone got any good FULL LIQUID DIET recipes?

Hot Cocoa (13 grams protein)
1 tablespoon Splenda
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons dried milk powder
8 ounces non-fat milk
Dash salt
Few drops good quality vanilla
Blend Splenda, unsweetened cocoa, dried milk powder and salt in large mug. Blend in milk, stirring until dissolved. Microwave 1 minute on high or until hot. Can also heat in saucepan on stove.

Vanilla Egg Custard
4 large eggs
1 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cups evaporated low-fat or non-fat milk
1/2 cup splenda granular
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place 6 custard cups or ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside. Whisk together the eggs, milk, evaporated milk, splenda, vanilla and salt. Pour through a fine mesh sieve (strainer) into a large measuring cup. Divide evenly amoung the custard cups and grate the nutmeg over each one. Pour enough ho****er in the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the custard cups. Bake 25-35 minutes, until the custards are just set in the center. Carefully remove the custards from the water bath and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve chilled.

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

berts4
on 9/23/10 2:09 am - Rock City, IL
Topic: RE: COFFEE PROTEIN POWDER
I like the Nectar Cappucinno, but find it a bit expensive too. 
Go for the GNC brand.  They will let you return it if you do not like it.  GNC has a really good caramel toffee type protein, if I recal correctly and their chocolate was pretty good, so if they have a coffee/cappucino, it is probably worth a try.

Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

berts4
on 9/23/10 2:06 am - Rock City, IL

Pumpkin Fluff/Pudding/Dip/Whatever you wanna call it!

1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree
1 (1oz) pkg instant sf vanilla pudding mix
1 c. milk
1 t. cinnamon
dash of cloves
1/2 t. vanilla
3 T. Splenda Granular
2 1/2 c. Whipped Cream or Cool Whip

Beat pumpkin and pudding mix, milk, spices and splenda. Fold in Whipped cream. Chill well.

Double Layer SF Pumpkin Pie

4 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 tablespoon fat free milk

1 tablespoon Splenda Granular

1 1/2 cups frozen NSA cool whip thawed

1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

1 cup cold milk fat free

2 (3.5 ounce) packages SF instant vanilla pudding mix

1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

In a large bowl, whisk together cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of milk, and Splenda until smooth. Gently stir in whipped topping. Spread into bottom of crust.

Pour 1 cup of milk into large bowl, and thoroughly mix in pudding mix, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. When thickened, spread over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate 4 hours, or until set.

Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

babynurseheather
on 9/22/10 7:27 pm - Worcester, MA
Topic: RE: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Oh, yum!  Can't wait to try these!!!  Thanks for sharing!!!

meltingmel
on 9/22/10 6:51 pm - Grove City, Ohio, OH
Topic: RE: COFFEE PROTEIN POWDER
Just a ? How can your protein drink have only 110 calories and 30 gms of protein? Each protein gram has 4 calories. so 30 x4 +120 calories. Your drink would have to have at least this many calories.
Peace and Blessings, Melinda
Starting weight 326
Lowest weight 145
Current weight 175
Goal weight 145
The taste of the bait isn't worth the pain of the hook
Ruesnod
on 9/22/10 6:02 am - Pima, AZ
Topic: COFFEE PROTEIN POWDER
I need your favorite coffee protein powders please!  I use Bariatric Eating Caramel Latte right now, but I hate the fact that it only comes in small 1.25 lb bags and I drink it every morning for breakfast.  PLEASE don't suggest Click, I've had it, it's ok, but the stats aren't that good, especially for the price.  I don't wanna just try any that I can find, I want to try ones that people I trust (OH peeps) have tried.  The one I drink now has 110 calories and 30 grams protein for each serving, 14 servings per bag and it is $23.00 a bag.  Found one at GNC that has good stats and reasonable cost, but you can only buy it in 5 lb tub, so afraid to spend $65 just to try something.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

jlmartin
on 9/22/10 1:18 am - Random Lake, WI
I entered this into a Soup Contest at a local grocery store.  It was well received and you'll get about 12 cups total as I recall.

Pumpkin Soup With Bacon And Gorgonzola
Ingredients

* 30 oz pumpkin; pureed
    * 20 oz potato; diced
    * 6 oz carrot; chopped
    * 12 oz onion; chopped
    * 6 oz celery; chopped
    * 4 cloves garlic; minced
    * 1 tsp salt
    * 1 tsp white pepper
    * 4 cups vegetable broth
    * 1 cup whole milk
    * 0.5 cup heavy cream
    * 10 slices bacon; cut into strips
    * 12 tbsp Gorgonzola crumbles

Directions

1. In a heavy dutch oven, render bacon into bacon bits and put aside
   2. Drain off all but 1 or 2tbsp of bacon fat Add onions, carrot, celery and salt, coo****il vegetables are soft and onions are translucent
   3. Add garlic and cook a few minutes longer
   4. Add potato and vegetable broth, simmer until potatoes are soft
   5. Puree soup using a stick blender
   6. Add pumpkin, milk and heavy cream, stir to combine
   7. Add pepper and season to taste
   8. Place 2 cups in a bowl with 1 tbsp bacon and 2 tbsp Gorgonzola

Most Active