approval for RNY conversation from LAP band

Stacey-71
on 4/7/11 10:30 pm - OH
I just found out yesterday that my ins. approved my revision surgery! I had the lapband placed in September 2008 and have not lost. Its been a rollercoaster ride with the band for sure. I had initially lost 35+ pounds 4 mns following my surgery, but then had a slip, an unfill, re-gained all my weight and 10 additional pounds, and have struggled since that time with the band. When I hit a certain "fill level" with the band, I have great restriction, but horrible reflux and heartburn. So therein lies the problem! Anyway, I am revising to RNY. I am a bit nervous...only because I do have some irritable bowel going on and my worries are that this will be worse after RNY. I can't seem to find any info on this subject. I have an app. on the 28th to ask my surgeon some final questions and this will be one of them! I am both nervous and excited expecting this upcoming surgery. I hope this gives me the help I need to get this weight off once and for all! I am turning 40 this year and it is time!! Thanks!
trish419
on 4/7/11 11:48 pm
I just had my surgery on March 15 after having lapband for about 5 years. It worked fine until I had my daughter and then it just didnt work again and I regained my weight.

So I did a revision to RNY and I am happy so far. I no longer had the limitation or heartburn. I can eat pretty much any food just limited portions. (minus sugar).. which is a good thing in my case.

I have lost 20 lbs, but I am stalling right now for about 3 days...but OH says its normal about now.... so I will just wait and see.

But I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hislady
on 4/8/11 9:30 am - Vancouver, WA
I just had my band unfilled because I'm so tired of that same problem, either too tight and miserable or too lose and hungry. The doc I talked to said about 20% of people are just too sensitive for the band that we can't get a good restriction level no matter how much we adjust them. I'm glad you are revising to RNY you should have much more success with it. I no longer have bariattric coverage so I'm just gonna leave mine unfilled so I can eat healthier food. Good luck to you!
nkara
on 4/9/11 11:30 pm
 I'm kinda in the same boat now... I had a horrible stuck episode yesterday and it seems lately I can't really eat much... I had a slight unfill and ate too much then had a small refill and am too tight some days.  I'm not loosing weight. I lost a total of 37 lbs and stopped loosing now last time I checked I had gained back about 10 lbs.  I'm so disgusted that I haven't gotten on the scale in weeks.  I don't want to know.   
I have been thinking of getting this damn band out of me or revising.  If I can revise during the same surgery I might revise to RNY but I don't want to go through two more surgeries.  I'm going to think about it and see.... I am wishing you all the luck on your new journey.  Keep us posted. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Joanlaptods
on 4/10/11 3:47 am
I revised from the lapband to the duodenal switch recently because it has the best longterm success with keeping the weight off. Check out dsfacts.com
Joan

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

Holly O.
on 4/10/11 6:57 am - FL
I had the lapband done in Nov 2006.initially lost 30 lbs.............then started havig problems with the fills.......too much, too little, never did find that sweet spot that they spoke of.  I am waiting for my first consult visit the 1st of May............going to do the RNY.  It looks like my insurance is going to cover it.  My lapband I paid cash for becaus my insurance didn't cover that in 2006.  Feel like I got ripped off!!  Oh well live and learn..........but I am going to get this right yet!!!
Holly O.
on 4/10/11 6:58 am - FL
  Excellent!!  Do you have a date yet for the surgery???  -Holly
Stacey-71
on 4/10/11 8:27 am - OH
My doc. wanted to do surgery right away, in 3 weeks. I initially said that I needed some time, but now I am thinking I will go ahead and schedule as soon as they can get me in. There is sooo much to think about and consider. I have had all the "failure" feelings that go along with never getting the weight off with the band and was scarred of another surgery and another "failure". I really was shocked that my doc. got the approval so fast. It only took 6 wks and I thought it would take much longer so I could get "my ducks in a row", but my ins. is changing shortly to only allowing one weight loss procedure in a lifetime so I think this all happened because it was meant to happen. And I have investigated some other surgery options, but my doc. only revises to RNY currently.....  and my PCP doc says he considers RNY to be the "gold standard" LOL! and he has seen a lot of WL surgery patients over his 30+ yrs in practice and I really just want something that will work! I am a big sweet eater and I am hoping the "dumping" syndrome I hear some ppl have will help me with that! I can stay on a diet / eating plan.... its just when you do not see results, it is soooo easy to fall back into old eating habits because it just doesn't seem worth all the pain when you have no gain (i.e. loss in this case)!  I will keep everyone posted on a surgery date when I find out.
I'm not going to deny that I am feeling reallly nervous about the whole revision thing. I was wondering how much time off work I would need, hoping for just 4 days!! I work from home tho doing medical transcription, nothing strenuos. Its really just the thought of starting back at ground zero after 3 yrs after band surgery and 2 yrs of researching and ins. approval process before that.
Another fear I have is the difference in having the band and feeling full and having RNY and feeling full. Normally I really don't feel full per say with the band, I more seem to always get stuck and gurgle, but either way, I can't eat solid foods. Only mushies or liquids. It is just not a normal way to live and deal with a diet.... at least not for me.  I just want to be able to eat a normal meal with my family, although it may be a lot smaller portion than pre-surgery, I just miss food! Even broccoli and chicken and carrots and apples! It is just the craziest thing!
okay... rambling now. Sorry.  Just keep me in your prayers, I'm just nervous!
Thanks
Holly O.
on 4/10/11 9:51 am - FL
 I completely understand the nerves thing!!  I had the lapband 5 yrs. ago and  I am just like you.....simply didn't work out the way I thought.  Is the surgeon going to remove the lapband then do the RNY all in one surgery?? That is what I am hoping for.  I have my first consult visit the 1st of May.........I have toattend an orientation the 28th.........manditory by my surgeon before they set up my first consult visit!!  Let me know if you are having everything done in one surgery, o.k.  Hang in there..I'm going to have to go through the same thing as you!!  We can support each other, o.k.  -Holly
trish419
on 4/11/11 11:41 pm
Since my revision to RNY on March 15th it has been wonderful.... so much different than the band. I am full now, which I never was before. Like  you I would fill tightness and gurgle. I eat small portions of food and I am satisfied and I can eat anything. I think that is the best part, with the band you are really restricted on foods. (exception carbonation) I have tried a flat diet sprite and it was okay, but  I stay try and stay away.

I have to admit in the beginning I was scared to death and my after surgery nausia was horrible I stayed 2 extra days (out Thursday).... but I would do it all over again. I returned to work (teaching) on Monday. 

My life has been great, I have lost 22 lbs since surgery and the energy since then is amazing.  

Most Active
Recent Topics