VSG (2 years out) to DS questions

LizzyV
on 6/24/11 2:14 pm
 Hi all... I had a VSG with a lap band done about 2 years ago, total loss was 135#, with about a 20# bounceback in the last 8 months-ish (so, from 365 to 251 currently), and I'm considering having the DS done.  

I was wondering - how is the pre- and post-op different from the VSG surgery?  (I'm meeting with them on Tuesday to go over this, but I'm dying to know now.)  I'm assuming a liquid diet beforehand, but for how long?  

And after?  If there is no surgery to my stomach, do you need to stay on liquids just as long (or longer?) because of the DS surgery?  Do you have to grind your pills like you do post-op for the sleeve?

How long were you in the hospital?  (Mine will be open because of some other complications going on - no laparoscopy for me).  

And last (but not least by any means!) do you lose weight as quickly after the DS as you did after the sleeve?  

Thanks!  

Liz

Liz
Who never thought I'd look forward to being a loser!  

airbender
on 6/24/11 9:31 pm
I am confused about your post, your surgeon did a VSG and a lap band?  something is wrong there? 

pre op requirements are different depending on your surgeon, health, age, weight etc, I had none for my DS (only liquids day before)

If you have a VSG the liquid part is to heal your stomach, you willl just be adding the intestinal bypass portion so that will not apply.  again pills has to do with your stomach

depending on health status open should be about 3-5 days but you say other complications

weight loss post any revision surgery tends to be different due to many factors, try to focus on your own journey, wishing you well on your revision
LizzyV
on 6/25/11 6:22 am
Zee Starrlite
on 6/27/11 4:45 am, edited 6/27/11 4:46 am
Airbender, years ago there was a regular DSer on the forum who had a Lap Band placed during her full DS.  It is/was common practice for Dr. Elariny.  That particular woman went from the 400 to 500 pound range down to "normal BMI".  I believe she got some fills much later on.

Hope you are well.

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

glzgowlass
on 6/26/11 6:59 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I'm considering the sleeve ( I need to lose about 100 lbs)  Can I ask your general experience?  Why are you considering the DS?  Is there a specific reason you think the sleeve has not worked as well as you'd hoped?

Regards,
Aileen
LizzyV
on 6/26/11 7:42 am
MsBatt
on 6/26/11 12:08 pm
"...wherever I was at the 1 year mark was where my body was going to see as the new normal."

Was whoever told you this speaking strictly about the Sleeve? Because I see a LOT of people who are still losing at more than two years post-op. I am 7.5 years post-op from my DS, and I've lost a few pounds in the past year myself---without trying. (Yes, I DO love my DS! *grin*)

"Also, they said that while the DS is the best long-term keep it off option, that if you went straight to that, you still only had about a year before the weightloss slowed down, and if you did it in two parts (sleeve first, DS second), that you get to jumpstart your body again with the second procedure."

This is completely contrary to everything I've ever read about this. I have no studies to back me up, I'm just repeating what I've been reading for YEARS. Did whoever told you this have some evidence to back it up, and if so, can you post a link? I'd REALLY like to see it.
LizzyV
on 6/26/11 2:53 pm
 I am going by what I remember from 2 years ago, not from anything specifically I can point to.  I think they were speaking mainly to the sleeve by itself.  The stats, from what I remember, were that the sleeve and RNY lost more weight quicker and then slowed down, but at the 2 year mark, they were the same as the band (which I'm now beginning to doubt), but that the DS had the best long-term loss.   I don't think they meant that weight loss would stop at a year, just that it wouldn't be as fast and easy as it was before that.  It practically melted off for the first 9-12 months, and while it didn't stop after that, it was more work.

Which part was contrary?  I don't have any links, unfortunately - like I said, it's based on my memory of the conversations we had 2 years ago.  Is the DS NOT the best long-term option?  Or was it the part about doing it in 2 parts?  

There is so much information out there and filtering through it all is taking forever.  I'm still sure I want the DS, because with still 100 lbs to go, I'm just not there yet.  (And every one seems so happy with it.)    :)
Liz
Who never thought I'd look forward to being a loser!  

MsBatt
on 6/27/11 5:44 am
Everything I've ever read points toward the DS being its most effective when done as ONE surgery, not two, and that two-part procedures are at their most effective when the switch is performed as soon as possible after the sleeve. There seems to be a synergy between the sudden reduction of calories and the intestinal bypass, which just doesn't happen when the body has already accustomed itself to the lower intake of the sleeve.

Hopefully Diana will come along and post what Dr. Rabkin told her about this---I read it, but I didn't keep a copy.

But yes, the DS most definitely IS the best long-term option, whether you get it in one surgery or two.
MsBatt
on 6/27/11 5:45 am
Well, my reply to this showed up under your original post, which makes the thread sound silly---but you know what I meant. (*grin*)
Most Active