Non-working VSG revision to what? re-sleeve? DS?

inkedandsleeved
on 10/27/11 11:07 pm
 Need serious help, my lovelies.

I would like to know my revision options.
I had the VSG 2 years ago and am now at 50% regain and am gaining even more.

Am I a candidate for a revision to DS?
Should I just get re-sleeved? (kinda hesitant to go that route again)

Backstory:

Weighed 240 lbs.
Got a sleeve in the Summer of 2009.
My sleeve must be too big because basically, I had very little restriction to begin with (I mean, after the initial swelling went down), so basically did everything with willpower and heavy exercise.
And by heavy exercise I mean hardcore balls-out bootcamp-type activities 2-3 hours per day 6 days per week.
Made it all the way down to 155 for a short while, but stayed at pretty much 170 after that.

I kept up the heavy exercise up until 3 months ago when it became so painful i went to the doctor. Turns out I have osteoarthritis and my knees are pretty much not working without shooting pains anymore. The only exercise i can do is swimming now, which just doesn't really cut it at all for me since I am restricted to just straight-legged freestyle and backstroke. (plus... it's FREEZING COLD now. lol) 

I was initially a great candidate for the sleeve, because i did have the desire to exercise a lot and even though I've been obese all of my life, I thought I was someone who just needed just a little restriction and willpower and heavy exercise could do the rest.

With this new arthritis curve, I am essentially disabled (I went from jogging just 6 months ago, to now sometimes having to use a cane) so heavy exercise is out of the question and forbidden by my docs.
But I REFUSE to get back up to 240, and I do believe I might gain even more.

To add a bit more scariness to this, I am able to eat a full plate... actually more than a full plate. Of pretty much ANYTHING (except for rice, i have a hard time with it). Any protein or carb you can think of pretty much slides down with ease. lol.

Can anyone point me to my options?*
I am now 190 lbs and rapidly regaining. (i am 5'3")
Or maybe options that I am overlooking?

*Except for RNY, it's definately a surgery I would not choose for myself.

Thanks in advanced, and I hope everyone's research and progress and weight loss and happiness are going well :)
mini_me_ now
on 10/28/11 3:25 am
you could try contacting dr Aceeves first and find out why your not having any restriction, normally he does a pretty good sleeve and he he does seem to go out of his way to help his patients...

But if i was revising from my sleeve i would only revise to a ds because i would still not want to lose my pyloric valve..
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

LaughingCow
on 10/28/11 5:00 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
If I were in that situation, I'd consider revising to DS if you think you can keep up with the need for vitamins.  Just my thoughts...
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
MsBatt
on 10/28/11 6:12 am
The DS would be the logical revision, since you already have half of it. (*grin*) BUT---there's a synergy between the sudden restriction and the malabsorption that you *may* not get due to the length of time you've had your Sleeve. Re-Sleeving is a fairly dangerous procedure, unless you have a REALLY large (wide) Sleeve to begin with. (The biggest danger is from leaks, if the new suture line has to cross the old one.)

Definitely find yourself a VERY experienced DS surgeon to consult with, especially if you want to attempt a re-Sleeve.
warmmorningsun1
on 11/3/11 7:19 am - Baton Rouge, LA
I am having almost identical issues...I'm not sure what options exist, but have the same issues related to volume I can eat, etc...I would be interested in talking with you about your approach if you don't mind?  I can send my email if you are...

Banded 06/07/06 Start 305; Lost to 235; Gained to 249, so.....
Sleeved 11/24/08!  Started at 249/Current 227.8/Goal 160
inkedandsleeved
on 11/3/11 7:38 am
 sure!
they were superinformative on the DS board here ya go:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4465689/Dont-know-if-Im-a-DS-revision-candidate-currently-sleeved/

read thru that then feel free to contact me.

but yeah, i definately can't eat what i could before as far as amount, but i can eat a whole plate which friggin scares me. but at the same time, i don't necessarily want to get resleeved (going over an old suture line can cause a stricture or something, i dunno, i'm just freaking out about that part). i did the 5 day sleeve test again to "unstretc" it or whatever. i'm not a compulsive eater anymore at least, eating a plate is psychologically normal... but still shouldn't be happening with the sleeve. but i'm perfect for the second half of the DS, since the sleeve they do for the DS is the same as with the standalone VSG, just slightly bigger.

either way, i'm in desparate need of true malabsorption (rny malapsorption is temporary and i want a fully functioning stomach, not a pouch and the probs that come with that)

get to that other thread and ask away!
Ms Shell
on 11/3/11 12:08 pm - Hawthorne, CA
I'm just curious when you say a FULL plate how much is that and what does it consist of?  I can eat about 8-12 oz of food...which is "normal" to me and I break it down to say a piece of meat 3-6oz and a vegetable again 3-6oz.  While I've regained 25lbs this is in relation to the fact that I've gone OFF program and my 8-12oz "meals" can be all carbs, or cakes or chips, which WILL be a problem no matter what surgery I have.

In the last month I've lost 10lbs going back to what I KNOW which is my 3-6oz meat and 4-6oz vegetable.  Now I do have some carbs a little this and that...it's just when I spend a couple days shoveling in crap (which I think I can eat 20+oz at a time) that I find myself NOT losing and/or gaining.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

msdw59
on 7/5/13 12:20 am

Your sleeve didn't fail. You failed.  Have you been doing the work?  Putting in the proper nutrition.  Or have you taken the route that as long as I eat smaller portions of the same crap foods that got you into having to have WLS.    You still have to diet.  The sleeve isn't some magical surgery that poof the weight comes off.  You are on a diet.  That means.  High Protein, almost no carbs. No junk food.  No occasional slice of cake, or a cookie or some pie.  You're eating a bunch of crap and if you eliminated it and did the work along with exercising and drinking your water; the weight will come off.  

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
Most Active
Recent Topics