Current= LAP BAND I want REVISION

SOCOCHIC1014
on 10/20/15 12:14 pm - Shady Side, MD

HI all!!! Please help me...

I just went to a consultation with a bariatric doctor to get revision surgery from my lap band to a sleeve. The doctor is willing to do my lap band removal because he said it would be considered "medical necessity" this was great news until i learned that I will NOT be eligable for revision because my BMI is 31

I am crushed.. i feel like with out the assistance i will blow up like a balloon..

I made an appointment with my origional surgeon office to discuss my options too..

Any thoughts??

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/15 4:28 pm

Sorry you have hit this road block. Some people gain weight to get the revision approved. No fun but if it is the only way... Otherwise all I could suggest would be to use your ins to get the band removed and then either save or borrow the money and go to Mexico to get the sleeve done after you have healed from the band removal. Hoping someone comes along with some better ideas for you.

Queen JB
on 10/20/15 6:23 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I was in the same boat, but my surgeon fought insurance for me to get the RNY at the same time as the band removal. I had to gain a little to get them to agree... On the day of surgery I was up to a 33 BMI. Kind of sucked to gain before losing but I felt grateful for a surgeon who would fight for it!

Best of luck! I hope it can happen. Getting the band out has been the best decision I have ever made...

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Hislady
on 10/20/15 7:52 pm - Vancouver, WA

Was it the doc that said your BMI was too low or the insurance co. If it was the surgeon find a new one if it was the insurance then you are pretty much stuck with having to gain the weight back and that won't take long once the band is removed. I would go ahead and get the band out anyway just to get the band out before the band causes serious problems!

SOCOCHIC1014
on 10/21/15 5:07 am - Shady Side, MD

Thanks everyone!!! I am going to get a second opinion on Monday at another surgeon.

The "doctor" said i would have no problem getting approved for the second surgery, RNY. But when i sat down with the program coordinator she said i was not eligible.

Another thing was, they told me i would have to go back through the 6 month pre-op apts with nutrition etc. They where treating me as if i was fresh off the street.. I didnt like that, i have been through this once.. :(

Last night I read the papers and I do not want to have my band removed without another plan in place. I will deal with the issues I am currently having.. until its an actual "medical necessity"

I am so torn right now.. please any more thoughts???

ladygodiva1228
on 10/21/15 7:31 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I would not wait until it was medically necessary to get the band out. I have seen where people have waited and then after the band is removed there is so much damage that they can not have a different WLS.

When I went for my revision because it had been several years I had to do everything over again. There is usually no way around it.

Most insurances will not approve a revision if you don't meet the requirements which would mean you would have to have a BMI that qualifies for the surgery. I know it sucks, but that is the way insurances work.

You may have to have the band out and then go out of the country to have the RNY done.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

michemel
on 10/21/15 11:03 am - Atlanta, GA

How long have you had your band? I've had mine 10 years and looking to get the sleeve or bypass, but I am cash pay. So you are very fortunate that you have insurance that will cover it!

Michelle

SOCOCHIC1014
on 10/22/15 4:56 am - Shady Side, MD

I have had my band for 5 years. I am going to a second opinion on Monday. I feel like the doctor was excited to just remove my band.

I know i have alot of fluid in my band and am going to see if this doctor can check it out and see if we can remove some of the fluid. I am having trouble eating fruits and veggies and most meat.. :(

My band is moody.. and its like a gamble to see if i can get it to go down or not.. lol

Nic M
on 10/21/15 3:11 pm

What kinds of issues are you having? Please be careful if you decide to keep the band. It can really do a lot of damage. Like LadyGodiva said, too much damage can preclude being able to revise.

Best of luck to you. I wish I had some advice to help you. I hope you can fight for the revision and get it covered.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

SOCOCHIC1014
on 10/22/15 4:58 am - Shady Side, MD

I am having problems getting food to go down and stay down.. i get food suck on a regular. I am going to discuss taking some fluid out... and have my band checked out to make sure it hasnt slipped etc before i go under the knife again.. i want a game plan...

I also want a doctor who has my future weight gain/loss at the best interest not just having another patient on their books having a band successfully removed. I am hoping the apt on monday will give me some more insite on the future and maybe they can fight for my revision to be covered. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics