Third times a charm?

BBWlove33
on 3/8/19 8:05 am - Shirley , NY
Lap Band on 03/06/19

So My name is Ann, yesterday I had my third surgery. From bipass to the switch now on to band over my bipass. I'm currently 308. My first surgery was in 2003,2011, 2019. Just wanted to know if anyone had success with band over bipass.

Looch1126
on 3/8/19 9:45 am

Hi Ann, Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the band over bypass, but I'm curious why the switch didn't work for you. I had an RNY in 2001, and am now considering the DS due to weight gain despite numerous attempts, and never "cheated". If you don't mind, could you tell me your experience with the DS?

Looking4home
on 3/8/19 11:10 am
Revision on 04/05/19

Hi Looch1126, I am just wourding if you had to choose, would you pick RNY again? Why DS and what the biggest difference for you?

Looch1126
on 3/8/19 11:26 am

If I had to do an RNY all over again I would. I had mine done 18 years ago, so options like the Sleeve, Banding etc wasn't an option. That surgery saved my life in so many ways. At this point, as I mentioned I'm having weight gain and cannot seem to lose a pound no matter how hard I try. I'm looking at DS because it seems like the only real option for a "permanent" fix, from what I'm finding online, although the malabsorption is scary. I had some with RNY and I admittedly didn't take the vitamins on a regular basis and back then, it was mentioned, but not super-emphasized like it is now. I see the surgeon tomorrow so hopefully then I'll have all of my options laid out for me.

GirNNJ
on 4/4/19 3:57 pm - NJ

I honestly didn't know someone could have weight loss surgery more than twice. I had the sleeve done in 2013 and gastric bypass this year. I am trying really hard to be successful and am keeping up with my vitamins. As for the band over a bypass, I don't know of anyone who has had it. I do know of a few people who had the band the first time and were not successful. One of the people actually had the band erode into her stomach and she was extremely ill including contracting sepsis. She almost lost her life. I hope you all goes well for you.

Tiff tells all
on 5/10/19 6:46 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19

I'm on my 3rd go around as well. Band in 2008- band slipped and was removed 2016. Sleeved in 2016 and thanks to raging excessive gerd (Barretts Esophagus) I'm having a bypass in 11 days. EEK!!! So a surgery and then a surgery to fix the surgery to fix the surgery. I'm done after this. I'm just so done...

Fingers crossed this is your final surgical step in the WLS journey.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

sunnyday55
on 8/19/19 9:17 pm

How are you doing? My story is the same as yours. Scheduled for 3rd surgery in Sept.

Hope you are doing well.

jmk187
on 8/20/19 5:50 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Hello just curious as what a "band over bipass" is exactly...is that the lap band? If it is I thought no one performs those anymore...

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

White Dove
on 8/20/19 7:01 am - Warren, OH

They put a lap band on top of the stomach that is left so that there is a feeling of restriction again. It has all of the problems of traditional lap band and only helps with weight loss if the person reduces their food intake. The average weight loss with band over bypass, called BOB is 20 pounds.

Singer Carnie Wilson had band over bypass in 2012. She lost 150 pounds with her first weight loss surgery in 1999. Then had band over bypass in 2012 after having gone back to weighing over 300 pounds. She lost 30 pounds of the regain with the band over bypass in 2012.

For me the only way to keep from regain after weight loss surgery is to diet for the rest of my life. If I slack off, then the scale will start to go back up. For me, it is the same as before surgery, but after surgery, the dieting actually works.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics