Revision needed due to ulcer

campingmama50
on 3/8/19 9:05 am - Lafayette, IN

I am 6 years out from RNY & have an ulcer for the 3rd or 4th time.

My doc is starting the paperwork for a revision. They say it will be like starting over. I'm a bit scared.Had anyone else had this happen?

What should I expect?

Amy R.
on 3/10/19 10:51 am

How/what will your revision consist of? Are they basically surgically removing your ulcerous tissue?

My surgery ten years ago was a mutated bypass. Basically it was a near-total gastrectomy with intestines configured as those of an RnY. It's a severe operation, but I had horrible bleeding ulcers that would either not heal or would re-occur. They scarred my pyloric channel closed many times and I spent a lot of painful time in the hospital on ENG tubes each time they scarred shut. It just got to be too much to bear.

On top of that of course I needed WLS. I was 347 pounds and miserable. So the pretty drastic surgery I had truly saved my life. However I've no blind stomach and am now once again dealing with pre-ulcerous tissues at times. I've been fortunate to not to back to an actual ulcer yet though.

As far as what to expect, that would depend on what procedure you're having. You'll likely basically feel no difference. Weight loss from revision is typically 30ish pounds plus or minus. What result are you hoping for? I'm glad to answer any questions.

campingmama50
on 3/10/19 8:30 pm - Lafayette, IN

Yes, they are removing the bad tissue.

I'm concerned about nutrition and the pain afterward. I will have a feeding tube in my belly for several weeks.

And yes, I hope to lose a other 25 pounds.

I'll start off on clear liquids etc.

I'm just scared.

Amy R.
on 3/11/19 3:36 am

It's a scary thing, so what you're feeling is completely normal.

I've never had a feeding tube and I've got only about 5% of my stomach tissue left. FWIW, after I healed I felt/feel no differently than I did with 100% of stomach tissue intact. It's not something I've really even thought about other than when explaining cat scan results and such to docs.

Good luck, I hope they can remove all of the ulcerous tissues because that pain is debilitating.

LisaCammel
on 3/12/19 8:07 pm

I just had revision 1/12/19 and have been miserable ever since. I don't want to scare you but I guess the reality is crap can and does happen. They got the anvil instrument stuck in my esophagus. Caused trauma and excessive swelling, and they also tore the diaphragm and gave me a hiatal hernia. Have vomited 5-6 days a week for almost 2 months now. Having an EGD for dilation tomorrow at noon. The hernia is another surgery, but I can't even think of that now. I just wonder how much of this misery should be on the surgeon. Good luck, ask many questions.

Looking4home
on 3/15/19 5:57 pm
Revision on 04/05/19

How did the EGD test go? Do you feel any better? I hope you are healing and moving forward!

Most Active