Questions about Sleeve to Bypass Revision

MoveKeepWalking
on 4/11/19 11:00 am

Hi, I've had sleeve since 2011 but am having loads of heartburn and reflux and annoying belching.

i will be having an EGD next week and my surgeon said depending on the results I may be eligible to revise to bypass.

Would this be a wise decision? My BMI is 30. Would it help me lose more weight? What are pros/cons to revising and what will be biggest change for me in going from Sleeve to bypass?

I would be so appreciative of any info you can provide! Thanks!

Amy R.
on 4/12/19 4:24 am

If it were me, I'd get rid of the heartburn and reflux.

The rest of your questions are for you and your surgeon to answer. I think I saw you over in one of the other forums and you'll probably get more input over there.

Ultimately you'll have to make a choice but there is a lot of information for you to consider. Good luck with whatever you decide.

drea29
on 4/18/19 3:35 pm
On April 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM Pacific Time, MoveKeepWalking wrote:

Hi, I've had sleeve since 2011 but am having loads of heartburn and reflux and annoying belching.

i will be having an EGD next week and my surgeon said depending on the results I may be eligible to revise to bypass.

Would this be a wise decision? My BMI is 30. Would it help me lose more weight? What are pros/cons to revising and what will be biggest change for me in going from Sleeve to bypass?

I would be so appreciative of any info you can provide! Thanks!

I was sleeved in 2012. Lost all my weight and maintained for a number of years. I began getting severe GERD. I went to the gastro who did an endoscopy and told me to go see my surgeon. I reluctantly agreed to surgery about 1 year later.

It has helped the GERD. I went from 4 PPI meds to 1 a day. I occasionally have an attack which awakens me at night with burning and difficulty breathing as the acid begins to infiltrate my lungs. However, the constant coughing and sounding as though I have laryinjitis is gone.

As stated above, only you and your surgeon can decide if this is the best surgery for you. Honestly, I really did not want the revision but given the alternative of possible changes in my esophagus I did what I had to do.

It is a very different surgery experience than the sleeve for me. I developed food aversions something I never had with VSG. My pouch is small and I can only eat small amounts. I have lost some weight but it is very different than the original surgery. Weight is not falling off at all. I do want to lose 30 pounds and it is coming off slow with many stalls.

Wishing you all the best in whatever decision you make. Keep us updated.

AussieGirl2019
on 4/30/19 3:04 pm
RNY on 05/07/19

Hello

and thank you SO much for your question

i do not have an answer for you,

im in the same boat ,

sleeved 2009,

am gaining back, bmi now 28

gerd, burping galore

i have revision surgery scheduled next week

MoveKeepWalking
on 4/30/19 3:28 pm

Are you revising to bypass?

KellyM411
on 5/14/19 4:06 pm

Is your insurance covering it?

Tiff tells all
on 5/16/19 4:33 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19

The gerd from VSG for me has been horrible. I was finally diagnosed a few months ago with Barrettes Esophagus. That made me eligible for revision. My surgeon and team basically fast tracked me through their program because I'm not a true recidivism patient. And I'm not revising for weight loss reasons. Although losing 100 does sound mighty nice!

i revise on Tuesday and I'm so scared I don't know what I've got myself into. RNY is so different from what I know. It's like re-learning to ride a bike again, only this time properly and side saddle.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

MoveKeepWalking
on 5/16/19 4:43 am

I was diagnosed with Barrett's as well. Metaplasia so not too bad yet but GERD is miserable. What do you think the difference will be? Do you think we'll still lose some weight? Prayers that all goes well for you!

eladams2015
on 5/22/19 11:40 am
VSG on 11/01/15

I am anxious to hear how your revision goes. I have severe reflux, plus another hiatal hernia. My new surgeon also discovered that I was not sleeved properly the first time - the surgeon left a pouch (fundus) at the top. I do NOT want to end up with Barrettes, and so I feel that my only option is the revision to bypass, but that makes me nervous. I was already a revision to sleeve from band in 2015.

Most Active
Recent Topics