Time for a revision... but what?

jenncatty
on 2/9/20 10:10 pm - Allentown, PA

I had RNY in May of 2007. I did amazing. I've since gained back nearly 100 lbs and can't seem to get it off. Doc talked about shortening my connection for more malabsorption. He said my stomach is still small. Anyone have just a shortening of the intestine and have any success losing again?

Thanks!

ladygodiva1228
on 2/10/20 11:23 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Honestly if your surgeon says your stomach is still small I would go back to basics with dense protein being the first thing you eat. Make sure your getting well over 80oz of fluid in and start tracking/measuring/weighing what you eat. It is so easy for us to fall back into old habits and let carbs and things creep back.

He could shorten the connection, but that could cause not very good side effects especially with vitamin absorption. Also remember you may not lose as well as when you first had surgery. You could only lose 25-50lbs then what would you do? Just stuff to think about.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Dee_Caprini
on 2/10/20 3:37 pm

I agree with LadyG... so it won't just be malabsorption of food, but all around in every aspect. So, yeah it will work, but You still can do amazing and use this as a stepping stool since you know what can happen. Have you considered a mental health pro to talk to about what could be keeping you from reaching your goals? Tracking food (weighing and food prepping), going back to basics, journaling? Do you have someone in your close circle who you can allow be your accountability supporter (who you don't take personally if they police or check-in)? When was the last support group that you attended?

You've got this and YOU know you can do this! put notes up that you will see on a consistent basis (kind of like a vision board) that encourages you to do your best and stay on track!

sillysarah8466
on 2/10/20 6:51 pm

Hi,

im having the same thing done Monday. I regained about 45lb after a RNY. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis since my original RNY and the fatigue and inactivity has decreased my metabolism significantly. We reviewed my diet and everything g and the doctor thinks this is best for me. Hope it works. Main reason I'm doing it is because as my mobility decreases, I don't want to have the excess weight to move around. I wish you well with everything!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/11/20 12:14 pm

All may depends how long your current malabsorbtion limb is, and much he would want to shorten the common path.

There are proximal and distal RNY. The first - the doc creates a limb of 50-150 cm (or even 200 cm)., and the rest is all connected with juices from remnant stomach and the bile.

The distal - they measure the length of the common path, where we digest and absorb food. That can be shorter or longer.

If you current limb is only 50-75 cm, and the doctor wants to make it even up to 200 cm, I probably would do what he suggested. But unless you really change your diet and avoid sugars, carbs (even natural like in fruits, vegetables or complex carbohydrates), and be mindful about the sizes and frequency of the meals- no WLS surgery may work for you.

As fr distal RNY -That they bypassed majority of the small intestine, leaving only 100-200 common channel - the opinion of bariatric community is that this, after the Band, is the worst one. A person with distal RNY nmay have all the problems RNY can have (dumping, cramps, RH, etc) plus the issues from DS - as severe vitamins - minerals malabsorption.

I personally would chose DS over a distal RNY. Revision from RNY to DS is very very complicated surgery, and carry very high risks. There are only handful of surgeons in US and the world that can properly do the conversion surgery.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

JJT
on 2/12/20 5:32 pm
Revision on 09/14/17

I had a RNY and in 2017 my surgeon revised me to a long limb distal RNY. It worked for me but I worked it harder than anything ever. I changed how I ate and exercise before surgery. I carried it forward. I still watch my food and exercise four to five days a week. Revisions have a big fail rate if your surgeon doesn't do more than tighten up stuff and you don't take the opportunity and run hard with it. If you go DS or Distal you do take more vitamins but it's just part of your day be it vitamin program or the other.

mgsisco
on 3/4/20 9:42 am
RNY on 06/06/19

Hello,

What is your vitamin regimen with Distal RNY?

JJT
on 3/4/20 10:16 am
Revision on 09/14/17

Every program differs

Dee_Caprini
on 4/22/20 3:17 pm

Hello, Just checking in to see how you are doing? Have you been able to get a few questions answered? spoken to your surgeon/nutritionist?

Most Active
Recent Topics