Any regrets on revision from sleeve to bypass? Anything I need to know?

Kristie B.
on 9/15/20 7:23 pm - Surprise, AZ

Due to severe GERD and a failed attempt to repair a hiatal hernia last year I found out today that I will be having another hernia repair surgery and the surgeon also recommended revision from sleeve to bypass. He was driving while he was telling me this so the call kept cutting out but what I could gather from the conversation was that he would be putting in the order tonight and it can take anywhere from 3 to 15 days for my insurance to approve the surgery. He said with my history he didn't think there would be an issue with my insurance and I should be on the books for surgery within the month. What do I need to know about the revision? How will my life change? I understand I will have to do the liquids to solid graduation but what about after? He mentioned I will have to take vitamins and supplements. I use a patch now for my daily vitamin. Will this still be acceptable? Any regrets on having the revision? He didn't do my sleeve. I had that done at a military hospital in 2008. They made me take a class first but he didn't mention one for this time and I didn't think to ask when we were on the phone. And of course now my anxiety is at at all time high.

Kristie

VSG 12/08/08

RNY 11/09/20

lightweightds
on 11/10/20 1:40 am

Have you researched DS?

KrissyKooKoo
on 12/9/20 7:16 pm
RNY on 07/22/19

Hi! I had the revision from VSG to RNY for the same reasons. I personally regret it. The sleeve is such a high pressure system that you feel very full while eating. The pyloric valve is wide open with RNY so you don't have the pressure that I learned to associate with fullness. I will say it stopped my GERD (unless I go too long without eating, then I'll get heartburn). I also can't tolerate sugar now which I'm fine with

Kristie B.
on 12/10/20 10:48 am - Surprise, AZ

I ended up going though with the revision on Nov 9. I'm struggling to find when I'm full. I don't get the runny nose or sneeze or the tightness that lets me know that was my last bite. The only alert I seem to get is when I've eaten too much and then I'm nauseated and have pain and then 9x out of 10 will throw up. So far it has helped the GERD but I'm having other complications so I'm not back to work yet.

Kristie

VSG 12/08/08

RNY 11/09/20

KrissyKooKoo
on 12/10/20 10:51 am
RNY on 07/22/19

I was on zofran for the first 6 months. I still can't tell when I'm full til a half hour after I eat when I'm in pain. I've just been under eating and not relying on the feeling of fullness

Most Active
Recent Topics